Buying a MS 260 Pro Tomorrow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decent local price for great chain.

Yes it is, If I would have thought I could have got a better price locally...

Bought a 200T last year and a 660 this year plus parts for other saws.

Maybe I need to bring in some numbers and see what they can do.

If they realize I am going to buy in bulk from mailorder, maybe they will be willing to come down a little.

I'm not yet... The dealer threw in a few files and a handle. What do you suggest?

Couple of good round files, a flat file for the rakers and Carlton file-o-plate for a guide. They work on Stihl RSC chain also.

I have used the dremel attachment and Stihl's 12v rotary file. The 12 volt unit I have rigged to plug into my 7 pin trailer socket on my truck. Makes it nice to fix a really messed up chain on site. But that is when I don't have a spare that is sharp.

If I have the time, I use the file-o-plate for a nice keen edge. I like the depth gauge guide on these also.

But I also use an Oregon chain grinder when I am at the shop.

IMHO opinion, learn how to sharpen by hand before deciding if you need an electric sharpener. Once you know what it should feel like and look like by hand, you can do almost as good a job with a grinder.

Think about what you are cutting. I think the full chisel chain is great but not forgiving. I cut mostly firewood with some felling on my property.

I have used the Woodland Pro chain in full chisel, Stihl chisel and semi chisel, and Oregon full and semi. For what I do I prefer the Stihl Semi hands down over the rest.

The Woodland Full cuts ok, I would say slighty (and only slightly) better than the Stihl Semi but it does not stay sharp. The Stihl Full kicks but if even slightly dirty wood, like felled in the dirt or rolled over while bucking it loses its shine - fast. The Stihl Semi cuts good and stays sharp. It is forgiving when tipped in the dirt slightly. I would put the Oregon in between. Never used Carlton but have been told like you that they make the Woodland. The Woodland Pro is SOFT and easy to file and may be a good chain to learn how to file on, easy to file and easy to dull. The Stihl does take slightly more effort to sharpen and eats cheap files. With all that said the Stihl Semi works best for me.

I think you are getting what you pay for. Woodland Pro - not bad chain, just a little cheaper. Stihl chain rocks, just not cheaper. Buy a loop of the Stihl RMC (semi) for your 361 and give it a try, compare to your safety chain and the Woodland Pro or even the Stihl RSC (full). I love the Stihl RMC for getting work done.

Now cutting for fun, maybe a different story.

:cheers:

The WP chain I am ordering is the 30RC not the XC.

The RC is what I was told was Carlton, unsure about the XC.

Of course that could have changed by now. This was in June I was told.

Are you thoroughly confused yet???

Anyway you go, I would try the chisel chain you got with the saw and see how sharp it stays for you. If you are looking for quick cutting, that is the way to go.

Touch up the chain when you refuel and take a break and it should be just fine. After you get the hang of sharpening, it should only take 4-5 minutes to "touch up" a chain.

Don't let them get dull, watch the chips coming out and watch the top of the cutters. When the tops stop being clean and start getting residue burnt on top, touch them up. A couple of passes with a file should do.

Remember in full chisel, the "corner" does the cutting, make sure it is sharp and undamaged.

What I was told with the Woodland chain is that the RC is made by Carlton and the XC was Oregon LG cutters on a Windsor "chassis"

The good Stihl dealers usually charge $1 per inch...

Does anyone here have a source for 35RM or 35RMC? I'm looking for 58 gauge with 64 drive links. I like the RS but am interested in trying semi chisel.

The good Stihl dealers usually charge $1 per inch....

The good Stihl dealers charge you about $0.22 a driver. :D

If you have a good dealer you can expect to pay about $0.22 to $0.26 a driver for Stihl chain, if your buying it at Ace in the bubble plastic, you can expect something around $0.30 a driver.

Hawkfeather, IMO stick with the Stihl chain you won't be sorry, 33RSC-72 for clean wood and 33RMC-72 if it's got a lot of dirt in the bark, like if you skidded (drug) it across the ground with the tractor or had to drop it in the mud.

Whatever you do learn to file and maintain your own chains, it will save you plenty in the long run.

Hears a video that will help get you started (if you haven't found it already) I already gave the part# for the Stihl kit earlier.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Lj3fNRdjvw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Lj3fNRdjvw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Go to Stihl and Oregons web sites and look around there is some good info there as well.

Well, I had three photo shoots today so I didn't get to cut any wood yet... I did however go out back and crank that b#$ch up a few times just so the neighbors would know who's the man!!! LOL It runs like a screamin' banshee! Nice... real nice! Tomoroow afternoon it's to the woods for a truck full-o-wood!!

Off topic, respond in pm if youd prefer....

I peeked at your posts, sounds like you're in marketing? What kind of firm/product?

Or are you the photographer? I'm guessing not..

Anyhow, check out my photos..... I've shot a few in my time...used to get a lot of sports (mostly skiing) stuff published...editorial mostly, some commercial....

Welcome to AS, and congrats on the new saw...a venerable proven performer....

Last edited:
Look at the Oregon LGX in Amicks superstore.......a site sponsor. It is around $11-$12 per 20" loop and several on here really like it. I can't tell the difference between it and full chisel stihl. Never tried the RMC.......might need to. As long as you have a few loops and change out when they get dull you should be fine with whatever you choose.

Waylan

Taking a chance regarding bashing here, but RSC and LP both are faster and smoother, IME. :deadhorse:

Last edited:
Well.... My new 361 cut the heck out of a buncha wood taday! Zipped right through a half cord. Split and stacked ready to go again tomorrow! My Poulan chain went dull again when the stepson was cutting the trim. After having it sharpened twice last week I guess it needs replaced. Can I get chain to fit it at Baileys? It's an 18" Model 260, 42cc...

Well.... My new 361 cut the heck out of a buncha wood taday! Zipped right through a half cord. Split and stacked ready to go again tomorrow! My Poulan chain went dull again when the stepson was cutting the trim. After having it sharpened twice last week I guess it needs replaced. Can I get chain to fit it at Baileys? It's an 18" Model 260, 42cc...

Bailey's has everything you need. Give them a call and they'll make any kind of chain in any length you require.

Good choice on the 361. I have 2 and they make a great light duty general purpose saw. Use the search function on here and there's a lot of information on muffler mods...it makes quite a difference in the performance.

3/8"LP
Should be 62dl
It's the most common chain.

Id just go to a small engine shop and ask for 62dl of .365/.050 non-safety chain. Probably get some nice Oregon chain, and cost should be around 20 dollars out the door.

What do the numbers on the bar say?

Have they (the ones sharpening) lowered the depth gauges? (rakers)

Last edited:
What do the numbers on the bar say?

Have they (the ones sharpening) lowered the depth gauges? (rakers)

Hey Fred... I don't know what they did at the saw shop but it didn't last long either time. I thought maybe I hit some rock the first time but I know it was only in clean wood today. I really want it for an extra saw but I don't want the headaches! LOL I don't remember seeing anything on the Poulan chain but I'll look again when it's daylight cuz I'm half night blind!!

I didn't even have to add any gas to my 361 today and I cut half a cord. Should I sharpen the blade a bit or wait. And should I buy a guide for the files he gave me or what?

Hey Fred... I don't know what they did at the saw shop but it didn't last long either time. I thought maybe I hit some rock the first time but I know it was only in clean wood today. I really want it for an extra saw but I don't want the headaches! LOL I don't remember seeing anything on the Poulan chain but I'll look again when it's daylight cuz I'm half night blind!!

Check the numbers on the bar to see what pitch and gauge chain you need, they should be in the same area as on the 361.

Post a couple of pics of the chain and someone might have an idea why they aren't lasting long.

I imagine if you get some better chain for that poulan it will be like night and day! Should be fine for an extra saw.

I didn't even have to add any gas to my 361 today and I cut half a cord. Should I sharpen the blade a bit or wait. And should I buy a guide for the files he gave me or what?

I'd definately use a guide untill you get a good feel for sharpening. You shouldn't have to worry about touching it up for another tank or so. You will get a feel for when you need to sharpen.

One rule of thumb I use is look at the top of the cutters, if they start to get a "burnt on" residue, they could use a couple of passes with a file.

Do a search and you will get more input on how others do their chain. What works for me may not work for you.

Fred

Latest posts

Back