Buying a new "Clone" saw?? What do you think?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You really can’t go wrong with a 461 for a all around saw . But I prefer a 441 m tronic if swapping bar sizes and your altitude changes .

Casey what does a lightly used 461 go for?

I don't know. Ive seen them sell between $700 and $900.

If you're slightly interested, I encourage you to come try it. Then you can see if its worth the money. I normally run it with a 25" bar, but have a 20" that I use occasionally as well. Its just been a firewood saw on my processing station. I could show you exactly how much its been used as well as all the wood is cut is stacked here at my house.

ETA: Its bone stock other than adding OE dual dogs with the roller catcher and the OE dual port muffler cover. It also has this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STIHL-CHAI...815828?hash=item51df20bd94:g:j~cAAMXQya1Q84yz

On it since new. Keeps the bottom from getting scratched up....

Good choice. I only sold my 441 to get a 461 because the weight is the same, but the 461 has more power. I wasn't happy with the performance of the 441 with a 25" bar.

Little late to this one - but the only way I would buy one of these clone jobbies, is as the whole kit that you assemble yourself. Just as a fun project - my grown up tinker toy thing. But I have ruled that outpersonally due to the high cost of shipping them - that about doubles the cost. Putting it close to what I can get a half decent shaped used real thing for. So throwing in the extra couple hundred or so that is in the mix here for an assembled $700 tag takes out the tinker toy aspect and also brings it darned close to the real thing even if the real thing is new. And also brings in uncertainties about how it was built. So yeah - uh no. But I guess this thread already got there by now....

$1300 for a 441/461!? Wow. I’m around here they run 900 or so. My local dealer sent me home with a new 441 for 780 or so. If you’re anywhere near Kansas, it my be worth a trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a lot of tech. the 362 still comes in the old carb...? not sure . I was going tomo for the 441.

Mine have been trouble free. My 441 had a fair bit of use and I had no issues with it.

The tech really isn't obtrusive. It just takes the fiddle factor out of tuning the saw.

sent from a field

Also, if you aren't already, Go down to Superior Saw and give them your money if you're going to buy new. Rock solid dealer that will stand behind what he sells.... Ive been dealing with Brian in one for or another for over 20 years. D&G, Williams... They wont give you the service after the sale that Brian will. Feel free to drop my name with Brian, Brian or Dan. Brian Cady, the owner, spends most of his time in the Stove Shop just south of Superior. Brian and Dan pretty much run the Stihl/Scag side.

Mine have been trouble free. My 441 had a fair bit of use and I had no issues with it.

The tech really isn't obtrusive. It just takes the fiddle factor out of tuning the saw.

sent from a field

What I like most about the Mtronic saws is the master lever. When you start the saw it doesn't scream to life, really not a big deal if you have a good running saw, and blip the throttle trigger to take it off fast idle right away, which is what I do with my 170. The other part being the kill switch, if I want to set my saw down on the ground to move a few rounds here or there, and get back to cutting, you just pick it up and pull. Again, not a huge deal, with my 170 I just flip the switch back down after I kill it. I guess what I'm getting at is it's those little things like that that are a welcome convenience to me.

Latest posts

Back