Buying a new saw........can't decide

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it were me I would go with Brad. You would be happy with a new ported 395 for the price of a stock 395 from your dealer.

I would go for a 090 forget the rest.

The Stihl 090 Cant be beat! 13hp baby:msp_w00t: If you want the ultimate power then 090 is the way to go.

I dont really see how you could go wrong with the 090 it is the saw for every occasion.

Oh yes, the Holy Grail Stihl 090, most of us sawheads would love to have one.

In the real world they are not easy to find and parts are rare & expensive. For regular use a more modern saw with good parts availability makes more sense.

JMO.

Oh yes, the Holy Grail Stihl 090, most of us sawheads would love to have one.

In the real world they are not easy to find and parts are rare & expensive. For regular use a more modern saw with good parts availability makes more sense.

JMO.

And if you are used to that torquey and speedy 390xp, an 090 is going to be nothing but disappointment - especially if you only need 'a little more grunt'. It weighs a ton, has vibration like a jackhammer(almost literally), can be fickle, chugs fuel, and is slow(if steady). If you have to buck the occasional huge trunk and an 090 is all you have, then I can see it. But if you are gonna be felling and limbing, larger trees, you need something more modern, lighter, with better AV, more parts availability, and revs more than 9600 rpm. A ported 395 will give you all an 090 would and more, and likely cost you less in the long run. You can even run 404 on that ported 395 no problem.

And if you are used to that torquey and speedy 390xp, an 090 is going to be nothing but disappointment - especially if you only need 'a little more grunt'. It weighs a ton, has vibration like a jackhammer(almost literally), can be fickle, chugs fuel, and is slow(if steady). If you have to buck the occasional huge trunk and an 090 is all you have, then I can see it. But if you are gonna be felling and limbing, larger trees, you need something more modern, lighter, with better AV, more parts availability, and revs more than 9600 rpm. A ported 395 will give you all an 090 would and more, and likely cost you less in the long run. You can even run 404 on that ported 395 no problem.

Now why didn't I include the above in my post :D? I need to see if the system will let me rep you (nope, need to spread it around first).

I sure wouldn't want to run a 090 for any real length of time, heck, I can't even imagine what a 090 with a 5' bar would weigh.

Hey fellas, sorry for the absence from the board in the past few days........work has had me pretty busy. Anyway, I am definitely going to go with getting either my 390 ported and worked over by Brad......or I am gonna spring for the new 395 ported and worked over by him. I am just weighing it out in my mind and also waiting to see how big my next pay check is. But I did not forget about this, it is on my NEXT TOY list for sure. I will let you know what I decide soon.

Ported 395's and 390's are very strong. Here's Matt, AKA MCW, running one of Brad's ported 390's:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aOrrJhLmZ7M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That thing cuts 'real' hardwood like my 385xp cuts alder, which is as soft as hardwoods get.

However, if you need to pull a 5 foot bar, there's always the 090... And yes, Chris, it weighs a LOT:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MDVd8S5dPJ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sawfun9 is wearing anti vibration gloves there, btw. He said he could actually feel his hands afterwards, too.

Last edited:
I have a 660 with only muffler mod and she runs very good. :msp_thumbup:

I like the 395, but it is heavier..and that outboard clutch :censored:

They are both great saws, I prefer the 660 though. For that matter, I would prolly as soon have a good ported 460. Brad gets cheap Stihls too.

Well fellas......I have decided to go with getting my 390 worked over. I know a few people were curious on what I was gonna decide so I thought I would let you all know. Sadly it is gonna be a few weeks before I can get my saw shipped off to have the work done. I had to buy new tires for my truck today and it cost me nearly $1200. Tires for a heavy duty truck are expensive, but I had to have them. Oh well, this will just give me something to look forward to.

I think you'll be happy with the saw when it gets back. A ported 390 is a real nice runner.

When I see posts like this one...What kind of saw should I get?, I think they really mean, Which model Stihl or Husqvarna should I get? It's like they need us to provide an excuse for them to fork over a bunch of money to get a new Stihl over something cheaper. By reading AS they should already know we'll say to buy a 346XP or for a bigger saw a Stihl 660. The other saws we mention on AS are collector saws, not everyday users.

Well guys, I shipped my saw off to Brad yesterday. I am super stoked to run it when it comes back. I just about have my father convinced he needs to send away his old 371.

HAHAHA, I would love to get my hands on a super pro 125, does it have the 101B kart motor?

As much as I like the idea of getting one of these old saws and restoring it to like new condition............and then using it to cut.................if I buy another saw it is gonna be a Stihl 880, and I will then send it away and get it worked over.

I have a feeling you are right Brad..............after talking with you, I am sure my 390 will be enough saw and then some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rock:

Yeah man, I am totally stoked!!!!!! I just talked to my brother on the phone, and he has a day long job lined up for me already, I can't wait :rock:

Latest posts

Back