Buying a new saw for serious firewood cutting!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The craziest thing just happened... I talked to my wife about it and she said, "Well, if we are going to spend that much money, it is best for you to get the bigger one (362) so that it will be able to do everything you need it to and you won't need to replace it down the road." (She doesn't know about CAD:D) I was shocked! You've got to understand that my wife likes to pinch a penny! She understands that I am trying to create another form of income for our family that works for me while still being a full-time pastor. I can't just go out and get a part-time job at Walmart or something because I have to be available to our church when they need me and I have to keep reasonable office hours. Cutting firewood may not be the most profitable venture ever, but I did make enough profit at it last year and I already have a start on my customer base.

With all of that said, I am getting the 362. You guys are right about getting the bigger saw... I just didn't want to spend the money. That saw is going to pay for itself because my productivity will be much better. I really appreciate you guys helping a newbie like me make the right decision on such a big purchase. I think I am going to go with the 20" bar and a full chisel chain. Does that sound about right to you guys? Is there any significant difference between the different types "yellow chains" that Stihl offers? I will be cutting almost exclusively hardwood (live oak and mesquite mostly) and most landowners will only let me cut trees that have recently died.

as long as you wear all the safety gear, go ahead and get the 33rsc72's for that 20" you will find that saw balances very well with a 20....

I may be more excited than you right now....I cant wait until you put 3-4 gallons of fuel through that saw and see it really come to life...

and your wife is RIGHT....buy what you NEED....it will make the "work" more pleasurable....I have a very firm understanding of being a penny pincher, but for the most part they come around when you plead your case with good info...

Sounds like a good deal for everyone. Tell your wife we approve and appreciate her superior intelligence! :D

On the chains, RSC (full chisel) cuts fastest, but dulls faster and needs more attention when sharpening. RMC (semi chisel) is a rounded cutter and harder to dull, but doesn't cut quite as fast. It's excellent if you are cutting wood that has been on the ground and attracted dirt. I'd probably recommend it for your type of cutting. You can always try the RSC later.

Get a file guide, and learn how to use it. You'll save money on professional sharpening in no time, and you won't be as tempted to keep working with a dull chain. I like this one: Pferd Chain Sharp at Bailey's

Happy cutting! Oh, don't forget the PPE either (chaps and ear protection, better a full forestry helmet system.)

Sent some rep your way to brighten up your name area!

Thanks for the information on the chains. I will go ahead and pick up one RMC and one RSC chain. I am going to stop by my dealer tomorrow and tell him what I want. I know he has the saw in stock, but he may have to order the b/c that I want. I got some 16" elm logs that I cut a few weeks ago when I was hired to carve up a tree that was about to fall on someone's fence. Those logs should do nicely to test it out. I wonder if that pecan tree in the back yard needs a little felling, uh, I mean trimming...:chainsawguy:

Glad your going with the 362!

Buying tools is NO place to pinch pennies. A good tool will pay you back the original purchase price many times over.

Make sure to report back on how you like your new saw!

Have you considered Dolmar

The Dolmar 6400 is a great saw. You could get the Makita 6401 from Baileys for just under $500, and this saw is the same as the Dolmar 6400 as it is made by Dolmar. Having said that, I am not sure if there is a Dolmar dealer in your neck of the woods to service it. But from everything I've read it's a reliable and powerful saw. Not to mention that it can be upgraded to a 79cc or even 84cc piston and jug for a few hundred dollars. Just my 2 cents.
Good luck

Pastor you must of done a lot prayin to get a 362 for 349.95 unless they fell of the back of the truck!!

The Dolmar 6400 is a great saw. You could get the Makita 6401 from Baileys for just under $500, and this saw is the same as the Dolmar 6400 as it is made by Dolmar. Having said that, I am not sure if there is a Dolmar dealer in your neck of the woods to service it. But from everything I've read it's a reliable and powerful saw. Not to mention that it can be upgraded to a 79cc or even 84cc piston and jug for a few hundred dollars. Just my 2 cents.
Good luck

He wants a Stihl...with the product they produce, I think you are paying for more than just a name...:)

Pastor you must of done a lot prayin to get a 362 for 349.95 unless they fell of the back of the truck!!

Should have read the whole thread before commenting....:dizzy:

Last edited:
I got it!!! All I can saw is: Wow, this thing is a screamer! I got em to put the 20" bar and a full chisel chain on it. The salesman fired it up in the back of the store for maybe 30 seconds to test out the oiler. He came back and said, "Man I have never run one of the pro saws before. That thing sounds like a dirtbike!"

I gave it a quick test when I got home because I didn't have much time. I ran it through a few 20" logs. I tell you what, this saw has some crazy power. I have never run a saw that performs like this one before. The Rancher 455 that I have used doesn't even come close. I can't wait to get a chance to do some real work with it and see how it runs after it burns a few tanks of gas. I will give a full review later and try to put up some pics.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Nothing better than a 361/362....

you just cant show me a better DO ALL saw.....

Have you been able to get the smile off your face?:)

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Nothing better than a 361/362....

you just cant show me a better DO ALL saw.....

Have you been able to get the smile off your face?:)

Yes I can:)
attachment.php

Congratulations! You now have a saw that will last a lifetime with proper care.
I'm glad to see you went for the 362, don't forget to thank the wife. She is a wise lady. Personally I think you have bought the ideal all around firewood saw. We have used the hecl out of our 361 in our firewood business and it just keeps on ticking, with the improvements a 362 has over the 361 it's going to be a phenominal saw for you. Be safe and happy cutting, now get busy and sell some wood to pay for that saw.lol

Hello Preacher!!

You won't get the full measure of power on that saw until you run 5-7 tanks of fuel through it.

I just bought the same saw (with a 25" bar) a week or so ago, and was startled to have it bog down in the middle of a cut. However, now that it's cut 5 or 6 cords of Pondarosa, & been leaned out for this altitude it's a screamer.

I hope you appreciate yours as much as I do this one!!

Richard

PS: Run it a little rich for the first few tanks

RamRod: No, I haven't been able to get the smile off of my face. I was at church tonight and I just kept hearing the scream of that saw and could see the roostertail shooting huge chips of wood out as it cut like a hot knife through butter.

I was able to bog it, but that is only because I was using the dogs. I won't run it too hard until I get a few tanks through it and then the power will pick up.

I tell you what, I love my wife. She sure is a smart lady. And guess what, it's our anniversary. "Hey honey, I got you a new saw for our anniversary!!!" (Nah, I am taking her out to a nice dinner tomorrow.)

By the way, the price was $675 plus tax.

RamRod: No, I haven't been able to get the smile off of my face. I was at church tonight and I just kept hearing the scream of that saw and could see the roostertail shooting huge chips of wood out as it cut like a hot knife through butter.

I was able to bog it, but that is only because I was using the dogs. I won't run it too hard until I get a few tanks through it and then the power will pick up.

I tell you what, I love my wife. She sure is a smart lady. And guess what, it's our anniversary. "Hey honey, I got you a new saw for our anniversary!!!" (Nah, I am taking her out to a nice dinner tomorrow.)

By the way, the price was $675 plus tax.

that sounds about right....we are $679.00 +tax

Actually I made a mistake. It was $665 for the saw after I got the 20" bar and RMC chain put on it. By the way, I have a question. The chain has one link on it that is green. That doesn't signify a low-kickback chain does it? Because if so, then it isn't really the RMC chain which is a "yellow chain." I think it has to be the RMC because that thing cut big chips out of the logs.

Meatco, when you said to run it a little rich, did you mean the air-fuel ratio or the gas-oil ratio. I know that they saw is rated at a 50:1 ratio, but I am going to run about a 32:1 because I heard that the saws last longer that way. Is that about the ratio that you guys would run it at? Nobody call the EPA on me...

Did somebody say muffler mod? (Not for the extra power, just to contribute to "global warming")

Actually I made a mistake. It was $665 for the saw after I got the 20" bar and RMC chain put on it. By the way, I have a question. The chain has one link on it that is green. That doesn't signify a low-kickback chain does it? Because if so, then it isn't really the RMC chain which is a "yellow chain." I think it has to be the RMC because that thing cut big chips out of the logs.

Meatco, when you said to run it a little rich, did you mean the air-fuel ratio or the gas-oil ratio. I know that they saw is rated at a 50:1 ratio, but I am going to run about a 32:1 because I heard that the saws last longer that way. Is that about the ratio that you guys would run it at? Nobody call the EPA on me...

Did somebody say muffler mod? (Not for the extra power, just to contribute to "global warming")
the green link signifies safety or ansi chain, that newer safety/ansi chain from stihl is good stuff, I dont care what people say....

Please dont.....I beg of you....50:1 hightest....if you must run 40:1, but there is NO NEED to...5 years of heavy use on my 361 with 50:1 (Stihl HP oil)
and it runs as good as ever...

you will break my heart if you run 32:1 in it...

Latest posts

Back