Buying a saddle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I`m buying a saddle and thought I better ask for some input before doing so.
What I`m looking for is a good comfortable and effective saddle, I`m not so concerned with the cost factor but considering the 15% reduction from Sherrill I`m leaning towards one of their saddles.
Are the rolling D`s a big advantage?
Thanks.

Don't get the ones with a single rolling D ring. Your shirt, skin on your forarms, and sometimes your nipples will get pinched in the roller just when you are not expecting it. A buddy of mine bought one like that about 5-6 years ago and had me try it out. He didn't like it either, used it for 3 weeks and retired it.
I'd suggest going to a local supply house and trying on a few. For what they cost, most places better be willing to let you try them on before plunking down the greenbacks. Kinda like asking about favorite saws, everyone's tastes are different. What is most important is that it fits YOU and you can trust it with your life. :angel:

Brian, that`s one of the problems I`m up against.
There`s nobody within several hundred miles at least that I know of where I can even see one.
I called a local tree company and they don`t even know where I can get any form of training.
I`ve been pole climbing on spurs for about twenty seven years now but this will be totally new for me.

If your'e not in a rush to get one I'd suggest attending a trade show for arborists. Most of the gear makers were at the ISA conference in Milwaukie & the NAA on is coming up there this Fall I believe. Another option would be to order the one you feel best about & try it on, then return it unused if you simply don't like it.

If you don't do alot of big removals, things where you need a lot of gear, most of the saddles out there will do. I like the Blair models because the belt comes out and you can add extra clips of jangly stuff to them on big jobs. Extra 'biners, friction savers pullies... I talked to Don B. and Tim Walsh and the new SSA model should be finished sometime this fall. I looked at the prototype Tim has and like it.

The Komet butterfly is a very good saddle, I've tried it out, it can be modified with little effort (many people do). I comes on and off very easily and is comfortable. They had it out to a number of climbers before mass production.

The Buck. series are ok. I've been on a Master for a while, I dont like the little D's, but they say you can special order them with larger ones. Small is cool in the summer, but when I have a jacket on they are hard to find.

New tribe has a comfortable looking step in rig, I know 2 people that climb in them from time to time. Cant see it for big work, but if your just doing thinning work it is light weight.

Kevin,

Your best bet is to wait and see if they have any at that show. I have purchased more than one saddle that I turned around and sold because it wasn't comfy or didn't feel right to me. "I never buy unless I try"or a trustworthy arbo. Of course you have already heard this.
My saddle preference is a floating D style. The saddle I've been using for 6 years is the Traverse from Buckingham. I also use a Versatile and a Komet"Butterfly" for recreational
climbs. These are all really nice Floating D saddles in my opinion. A floating D slides for your body instead of you having to twist your body like in fixed D ring saddles, however some arbo's complain the Floating D hurts there sides more. I personally enjoy a floating D and would recommend it.

Different ropes for dif. folks,
X-man

Heres a advanced tree clmbing site to look at:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the X man about floating dees, they really do make climbing out on the ends of branches a nicer and sometimes easier experience. I personally use the komet butterfly as my main harness, as i like the lightweight stlye and the ease of taking it on and off, and the floating dee strap works a treat. Good luck. See you at the top.

There seem to be a lot of great saddles on the market these days. I started out using a Petzl Navjo Vario and then went to a Buckingham Traverse. WOW what a difference. The built in rigid seat (bosun?) is fantastic for extending your tolerable "hang-time" and it is tough as nails. But as a lot of the folks are saying...try before you buy if you can. The trade shows are good for that. Peace

What`s the difference (if any) between a recreation type saddle and a saddle for commercial tree work?

TreeRex - Buckingham Traverse

TreeRex -
Just wondering about the Traverse. Have you noticed any limitations in mobility? I'm using Weaver's basic saddle with the leg straps and I'm looking for more comfort. I've been told that the Traverse is awesome except that the rigid seat bar cause a little loss of movement. The person that told me hadn't used one for any extended period of time so he may have just been spouting off hearsay.

Also, do you still look cool in this saddle or is there a 'dorkiness factor' with that long bar across your butt? Kidding ;)

My guess is that moving around in a tree would be a pain with the Bosun seats.They are designed to be just what they are.If you do a lot of pruning and are hanging around in the tree a lot I think they would have an advantage.Pinnacle,Traverse,and Versatile.Is the seat on a size small the same size seat on a size medium?I have sat in one of these saddles,not sure now which one and it felt silly,I took it off pretty quick:( ....as long as they keep making the Master I will be happy:) it just works really well for me, .......and remember that if you do buy one of these saddles you have a choice on the sizes of D-rings.Was the Bosun seat first used for window cleaners??????????

Saddles

Kevin,

The main difference between recreational and production tree climbing saddles is the production tree saddles have to meet or exceed ANSI A10.14-1991 Class II standard.

TMW

Bosun comse from the British Naval argot that contracted alot of terms.

Bosun = Boatswain I dont know what it means, but it is a warrent officers billet now. I think he was the PO in charge of the small boats. The Bosuns chair was for working over the side ot transfering between ships at sea.

Foc'sle = fore castle, the storage room in the prow of the ship.

Cox'n = Coxwain another warrent, dont know what he did sept beat people. Tom ?

Thanks for all the suggestions and information.
Things could be looking up!
There was a contractor in the office today and I just happened to ask him about climbing and training.
He gave me the name of an outfit that certifies Arborists and I found their site on the web.
They don`t have anything scheduled this year but I might get put on a calling list, the fellow I had to speak with will be in their office tomorrow so I`ll call back then.
In the meantime I think I`ll get the saddle,rope and hardware so I can get use to it while waiting for the course.

Traverse Saddle

I've had really good luck with the Traverse. I use it for ALL of my work including removals and trimming/pruning. The only time I've noticed limitations related to the "seat" is when I have to sit astride a limb. I have learned to keep the leg loops just loose enough to allow me to slide the rigid seat up high on my backside to avoid this problem. I have logged countless hours in this saddle. I love the sliding D and the overall durability of the thing. But, not every saddle is for everybody or body and it pays to try before you buy. :cool:

Saddle comfort

When it comes time to buy a saddle, be very aware of how the leg straps support your thighs. There are many saddles on the market that have a deserved reputation as crotch biters.

The best way to try saddles is to attend the TCI show in November.

For many years I climbed on a Blair Ultra Light. The saddle is hard to beat. This year I shifted to the Komet Butterfly. This saddle is lightweight, easy to get into and out of and super comfortable.

Tom

I am verry happy with the traverse. I would suggest getting a petzl William beener and HDP roller to use in place of the D-rings provided

If you work in cold weather, watch out for those ballock 'biners. The snow melts from your fingers then refreezes in the mechanism. Last winter I had to hold the gate a few seconds every time I wanted to open them up on a job in 20deg weather. I stowed them after I got down, stuck with the Kong autolock since.

One thing I have done on my Master is put delta links in wherever I use a safety clip. Put the gate outboard. Much easier then the fabric, and they sit better then a oval link.

Latest posts

Back