Buying a used Bucket truck,, Who to Buy from??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duffer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
HELLO EVERYONE HOPE YOU HAD A GOOD SEASON, looking TO BUY MY FIRST USED BUCKET TRUCK, AND HAVE A BUDGET OF 50 K, THERE IS PLENTY OF USED TRUCKS AND WAS LOOKING AT A 2003 INTERNATIONAL BEING SOLD AT SCHMIDY'S MACHINERY. I HAVE READ SOME THREADS ON THIS PLACE AND WAS HOPPING FOR A LITTLE FEED BACK. HERE IN CANADA WE DO NOT HAVE A VAST SELECTION LIKE I CAN GET STATE SIDE OR DO ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY RECOMMENDATION FOR A GOOD USED BUCKET DEALERS, YOUR COMMENTS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, DUFFER :clap:

Last edited:
I would recommend getting both chassis & lift inspected by a third party to verify condition of the complete truck. Also ask for references from prior customers, local to you, if buying from a dealer. If buying from a far away dealer, be aware that online pictures may not reveal the true condition of the unit. Quickie paint jobs, chrome hubcaps & liberal use of undercoating spray on the chassis & body may disguise a real piece of crap. Buy where you can see/try it first hand if at all possible. If far away, fly out & try it. Airfare is cheap compared to a $50K mistake.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Not being from the area , Schmidy's is about 850 miles from Montreal, And i know once i cross the Boarder any problems i have well i sure i will be on my own, so any comments are or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Duffer:clap:

Used Bucket Trucks...

Well, if you're going to be looking in Illinois, (Schmidy's) you might as well look a little further west. :)

I don't get to plug where I work too often in these forums, but we've got some great trucks in stock, have some airfare incentives, delivery, and we also offer extended warranties. We've sold quite a few trucks in Canada and can also deal with all the "paperwork" for border crossings.

Can't hurt to check us out.

http://www.i80equipment.com

Merry Christmas!

I should also mention that we purchase our vehicles from Utility Fleets in the South. Each truck is fully reconditioned and inspected. :)

I just check your site and you do not have any bucket trucks right now. Duffer

I just clicked on the link that was posted, and there are dozens of bucket trucks of all sizes, listed for sale. Are you sure you looked at the correct website?
Jeff

Thanks Jeff , I know there are plenty of Dealers, the think is i looking for 2003 or newer and there is not to many on the market at this time, I have another question for owners of Bucket trucks what is the normal use over a period of one year hours you would put on the boom, I know there is different factors but what would be a average, Thanks Duffer

Last edited:
It would be helpful to know what type of boom height you need. If this is for a tree service (as I imagine it is) most of the guys want a tall boom. (60 foot +) I realize our inventory is limited on the tall trucks, which is pretty typical in the used market. (we try to snap them up when the good ones become available.)

Another factor is whether or not you want a 4x4. (again, a lot of the tree guys do...particularly our Canadian clients)

Engine type, automatic or manual transmission, CDL, Tire Tread % , Single or Double Bucket, warranty, etc.

PTO hours can vary greatly depending on the applications. (urban use typically has higher PTO hours, lower mileage.) Request Maintenance records when available.

http://vimeo.com/5409787

Last edited:
If you take a look at the one that Schmidy's IS SELLING you will know what i am looking for , I just talk to the owner and he said the nacelle has only 2800 hours on the 2003 international and if i want to have versalift come to inspect the boom, and international to inspect the truck, he was more that willing, """"""" HAS ANYONE PERSONALLY BOUGHT FROM THESE GUYS,,:)

Sorry Duffer, did you post a link to the truck you liked at Schmidy's? I'd have no idea what you're looking at otherwise.

However, by virtue of your last post, International/Versalift and already knowing the year you want, it must be the 4200 they have listed. Nice truck. I checked with our guys and that's a good price. ($48,500) We've had them, we're just out of stock on buckets with chip boxes. (they go quickly) Just thought I'd offer some help since I saw you asked and I happen to work for a dealer.

Schmidy's has been around a long time, haven't heard any direct feedback about them, even as a competitor.

Any reputable used dealer will provide you with inspections. The vehicles
and booms have to be certified. :biggrinbounce2:

Best of luck!

Last edited:
GR8Scott and I would both heavily recommend a guy out of MI (name rhymes with a famous MN quarterback) who specializes in taking beat up pieces of crap, slapping sloppy but good-looking-from-a-distance paint jobs on them and selling them to trusting individuals who make the mistake of not inspecting before they buy.

NOT! :angry2:

Seriously, unfortunately, there are sheisters out there who will take advantage of you if you don't inspect what you're buying. I would try to buy something that has an inspection record vs one that has none. A seller who makes it a practice to get equipment inspected prior to puting in on the market would get my business before someone who makes it MY responsibility to get the inspection (and foot the bill for such).

I would recommend getting both chassis & lift inspected by a third party to verify condition of the complete truck. Also ask for references from prior customers, local to you, if buying from a dealer. If buying from a far away dealer, be aware that online pictures may not reveal the true condition of the unit. Quickie paint jobs, chrome hubcaps & liberal use of undercoating spray on the chassis & body may disguise a real piece of crap. Buy where you can see/try it first hand if at all possible. If far away, fly out & try it. Airfare is cheap compared to a $50K mistake.
Good luck!

I have bought from schmidy's duffer. The above post is pinpoint accurate.

Hey Luke at schmidy's: you really should have put the 427 (like it was supposed come with) in that truck...and put a different cage on it too. You could have at least told me someone dropped a tree on it. That karma thing is a ##### though aint it?? :)

Last edited:
I bought mine from mickeys in pa. I thought the price was fair and the truck was in good mechanical shape. The did alot of work on it to get it into good shape and Iv'e been happy with it. I found out today that water can get into the control levers for the hydraulics and freeze. Then the lever won't work. Taking it apart and getting the ice out solved that small problem. Good luck.... Mike

Schmidy's said if i want the truck inspected by Versalift and by International, he had no problem with that. Either the truck can be brough to them or have them come by to inspect it. My only concern is how "friendly" is Versalift and International rep's with Schmidy's . :dizzy:

Schmidy's said if i want the truck inspected by Versalift and by International, he had no problem with that. Either the truck can be brought to them or have them come by to inspect it. My only concern is how "friendly" is Versalift and International rep's with Schmidy's . :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back