Buying a used saw ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have found a used MS361 for sale, told it's 2 years old, seem to be in good cond(I've only see pics) was told that is was used for 2 months,although the bar does show a fair amount of wear for 2 months IMO

My questions are what should I pay attention to when buying a used saw?
Did they make any changes to the 361 in the last two years?
What should a 2 yr old 361 sell for?

I am a little bit nervous of buying a used saw, #1 there is always the possibility that it was stolen #2 this guy has abunch of lawnmovers, tractors, and other stuff for sale two which makes me think he may be fixing up problem stuff to sell.

I plan on talking to him tonight. I will be asking him if he has the original reciept and manual to make sure it's not hot.

Any other stuff I should ask or look for

Thanks Guys

The normal saw inspection procedures would apply here. If the saw isn't visibly broken and the piston doesn't look trashed, you should be good to go if the price is right. A couple posts came up lately on this topic, so check 'em out and see what everyone thinks is a good procedure for inspecting used saws.

As for the reciept and manuals, I wouldn't put too much stock in that as a good measure of anything. If you asked me to find those for the power equipment I've purchased new over the years I seriously doubt I could produce a single one of 'em.

Pricing from completed sales

We all know they pay more for them on ebay. So I went to ebay and looked up the completed prices for 361 and ms361. They sold for $300-$400, some had BIN of $395 that didnt sale and look like that saw you posted. There was a like brand new one that sold for $480. It looked NEW with no use. Hope it helps you some.
Pull the muffler and look at piston and pull it through to look at intake side of cylinder. Pull plug and see how its running, lean or rich. Then make you a few test cuts and make a offer, if it still passes your test.

The saw looks in nice shape. The funny part is the paint on the bar. It's all wore off. I've got stihl bars with hundreds of tanks of gas run through them, and you can still read "Stihl" on the bar. Who ever used it was pushing hard and probably running it dull.
If it runs and the piston looks good through the exaust, I'd go for it.

Mike Maas said:
The saw looks in nice shape. The funny part is the paint on the bar. It's all wore off. I've got stihl bars with hundreds of tanks of gas run through them, and you can still read "Stihl" on the bar. Who ever used it was pushing hard and probably running it dull.

I think it depends, Mike.
On my 260, it seems like I couldn't sand the paint off.
Cutting big logs with the 66, and the pieces falling to the ground, the paint is coming off a lot faster.
The worn area on the top toward the powerhead looks like somebody bearing down with a dull chain, and then flipped the bar over. How do I know? I made the same mistake. :laugh:

Mike Maas said:

Funny thing. Do you wear out bars that have all their paint on them?

Fred

Saw

Saw looks mint dude. The bar? Eh? That doesn't mean anything, it's prolly from another saw. Bars are $40, pay no attention. Looks like the case doesn't have a scratch on it. I'd buy it in a sec. I've got Stihl's from the 70's that you can still read the Stihl on also, but it's a bar, no biggie...

Talked to the guy last night, he is the 3rd owner..."a friend owed me some money, so now I have his saw"

There is someone looking at it today, and I have to work so I might miss it. If he wasn't so far away I could go after work.

That's what I thought two... powerhead looks mint but the bar is showing some hard use for two months.

2 month is not a good messure of time with a chainsaw, two months of one guys use could be a year or more use of another guy. If they ran it 7 days a week for 10 to 12 hours a day, is a lot diffrent then a few hours a day 1 or two days a week. Bar wear looks like the saw was pushed hard check the cylinder, but sometime the bar paint is just poor, it also seem to make a diffrence what you are doing with it I have a large bar I use just for bucking and the paint is mint I have another that I use for felling and after a few hours of use the paint was missing (pressure, pinch, buried cutting all can wear the bar paint faster then clean bucking.

JUDGE1162 said:
it also seem to make a diffrence what you are doing with it I have a large bar I use just for bucking and the paint is mint I have another that I use for felling and after a few hours of use the paint was missing (pressure, pinch, buried cutting all can wear the bar paint faster then clean bucking.
This is a more eloquent version of what I was trying to say . :bowdown:

musch said:
This is a more eloquent version of what I was trying to say . :bowdown:

Thats a first, I am usually the guy with the post full of typos, long winded, mispelled, 3rd grade english.

:ices_rofl:

I am betting that the bar was from another older saw. That wear pattern indicates abuse/neglect over much time. At a minumum I would check the bar for wear.

Plus too pretty a saw for a junker looking bar I say. A bar can be well used and still look alot better than that bar.

Mike Maas said:

I thought the same thing Mike...

I have the original 20" bar on my 028 from when it was new in 1984. That baby has cut LOTS of wood. It's scratched up and missin' some paint along the rails, but you can still Read "Stihl Rollomatic" on it.

Gary

Back