Buying from Dealer vs local stores (like hope depot)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This pro-dealer thread is almost as distasteful as the dealer bashing threads.

Insulting the folks that work at Home Depot is wrong, as Home Depot just cares about hiring folks that have no criminal record, and nice clean urine.

On the flip side, most dealers have in their employ total morons, inlaws,
wives, sons, that will say anything to get you out the door and leave.

Most saw tech/owners, have no people skills, and don't mind telling a painful
customer to "Get the "heck" out of their shop"...........

And when a saw nut wanders in, wanting to talk saws.......

The owner slips out back and tells his wife to "Get rid of him".........

Keepin it real baby...........

I actually am more of a JRed/ Husky person but having a good Stihl dealer close by and a bunch of smokin deals on Stihl saws I've gotten on cl and my Stihl's greatly outnumber my Husky's..
Of course my 254 Husky sees more use than all the Stihls put together, kind of funny but I bought it used at the Stihl dealer..:)

Insulting the folks that work at Home Depot is wrong, as Home Depot just cares about hiring folks that have no criminal record, and nice clean urine.

I go to my dealer on days when his wife isnt working. I have him cornered then and he has to talk to me. Thats no kidding either.:clap:

I find the opposite to be true. You have to admit, often we receive the service we expect. Ever hear of the self fulfilling prophecy?

Around 75% of local dealers I have been in for any kind of ope power equipment have been incompetent idiots who don't know what they're doing, can't work on or diagnose problems with equipment to save their lives, and just want to sell you a new saw out of a catalog. Small dealers are vastly overrated. Their reputation on here might lead you to think otherwise, but just consider how many small dealers are on this site. The proof is in the pudding, or in this case, the sales.

For a man that two saws, neither run in lord knows how long, I doubt you have been to very many dealers period but thats just my assumtion mind you, we're all guilty of assuming at times. All those things you seen I think were more of a dream because I don't ever recall ever reading a post of yours in which you saw anything at any dealer. Come clean grasshopper, in court the judge will fry you for making such assumtions,hehe

Yes the proof is in the sales, I'm glad you reconize why even in a awful economy Stihl continues to sell and grow thanks to all those crummy dealers they have, oppps, I mean the 75% of them,haha

What you ignored to mention was regardless of what service these dealers provide its more than what the box store provides. In other words if your starving even crumbs taste good. Some is better than none, spin that ole wise one,hehehe

Last edited:
Couple additional thoughts

Box store selection is limited. Go to the dealer and he'll most likely have a full product line so you can compare a manufacturer's line of homeowner, semi-pro, and pro saw models. He may have a couple of product lines to chose from as well, and I don't mean Homelite and Poulan. You may really be surprised by what's available in your price range. You never know, he may just have a cherry used saw that he took in trade as well.

Second, if there are any financing or other promotions being offered the dealer should know about them and may be able to offer a deal or additional items with the saw that the box store won't or can't.

Service as mentioned is a biggie. Sometimes a saw may just need a quick look see and tweak. If so most dealers will do that and send you on your way. If you didn't buy it there expect to make a return trip to pick it up, warranty or no.

Take Care

Good post!

But one tiny problem. The guy is shipping the saw to INDIA...
Maybe he should just wire his dad the money and have him buy it local.

I just looked at echo's website and there are NO dealers local to his father.

I found contact info for sthil of India:

ANDREAS STIHL Pvt. Ltd.
Gut No: 2337/B/01, Wagholi
Taluka-Haveli 412 207 District-PUNE
India

Phone: +91 20 66214242
Fax: +91 20 66214200
E-mail: [email protected]

Stihl Heads are going to like that! LOL :monkey:

The big box stores have 90% of what I need for a new saw. They stock chains, tools oil and filters. For the other parts I go straight to partstree.com. All parts for Husky and many other manufacturers are there. Great service and you don't have to deal with a price switching dealer. Aks Thall about not discouting equipment just because his customer lived in an expensive neighborhood. The big box stores are fair to everbody not just the blue collar worker.
ZG

Last edited:
I would not buy any power equipment from home depot or lowes. Why would you?

They don't have the best price,
They don't negotiate.
They don't know anything about the product,
They don't sell parts,
They don't carry the full product line
supporting box stores puts small dealers out of business.

Why would want any of this?

Don't do it!

I would not buy any power equipment from home depot or lowes. Why would you?

They don't have the best price,
They don't negotiate.
They don't know anything about the product,
They don't sell parts,
They don't carry the full product line
supporting box stores puts small dealers out of business.

Why would want any of this?

Don't do it!

Don't take this the wrong way, because I've only ever bought stuff from one stihl dealer, local to me and my friend who owns a pawn shop. However. Big box stores price-match. All the time. My Lowes stocks almost anything you need for Huskys incl. piston/cyl., and are one day out on ordering. I've not ever been able to spend more than a couple hundred $$ in Lowes, and not gotten something from the boss.

Again, I won't buy saw stuff there, however, I do know they have stuff available.

In my opinion though, if you wanna know why there are no husky dealers in my area, it's cuz there are 2 Lowes.

Like most small dealers, every store is different. It took me a couple days to find a dealer I liked, most around here suck. There are only a couple decent ones. I've even had one try to send me to HD for stuff once. :check: :bang::bang::bang:

God bless

The big box stores have 90% of what I need for a new saw. They stock chains, tools oil and filters. For the other parts I go straight to partstree.com. All parts for Husky and many other manufacturers are there. Great service and you don't have to deal with a price switching dealer. Aks Thall about not discouting equipment just because his customer lived in an expensive neighborhood. The big box stores are fair to everbody not just the blue collar worker.
ZG

All parts are there, really, rightttttttttttt, the queen had 14 pups last nite too.

Great service, what service, take your box and have a good day, wow.

No Zero you shouldn't have the guys ask me, you should grow a set and ask me yourself. I guess the Craftsman story really got under your crawl huh, good. So much for your market segmentation theroy huh. And no I never mentioned anything about the his neighborhood, I said he was driving a Mercedes SUV, if your going to spread BS least try to do it with some accuracy Zero. Discount forwhat, he never asked and I never offered, thats called being smart, you should try it sometime. Try it at the box store and see what kind of discount you get.

You are correct about one thing though , the box stores do treat everyone the same, no service after the sale for anyone. Take your box and go, if it breaks take it where, to a servicing dealer, oh noooooooooooooo, but Zero said, yes we know, but what did you expect from a box store shopper,hehehe

not really the flip side, HD hires just as many Morons, that will work arround there corporate profitability, Do not expect reliable advice in HD or any other big box HI store. That is unless you happen to be lucky and catch a fellow shopper who is a professional.

I have seen one in a thousand employees that had good advice. and not one bit of accountability.
On the other hand smaller places like ACE tend to have a better qualified staff.
HD and lowes employees are not much different than Walmart in qualifications

will you kiss our butts and work for peanuts around our chopped up schedule designed to prevent full time benifits, as we rape the USA.
Your Hired welcome to X.

have you ever acually used a chain saw No, well sorry sir our small engine shop provides sagely advice and support to our customer base, you should apply at HD. NEXT....

Now granted I have seen the independent dealer with his wife in the front of the store with here cooler wrapped Budweiser, I tend to drive the distance to another Husky dealer. ormond aint that much closer.

All parts are there, really, rightttttttttttt, the queen had 14 pups last nite too.

Great service, what service, take your box and have a good day, wow.

No Zero you shouldn't have the guys ask me, you should grow a set and ask me yourself. I guess the Craftsman story really got under your crawl huh, good. So much for your market segmentation theroy huh. And no I never mentioned anything about the his neighborhood, I said he was driving a Mercedes SUV, if your going to spread BS least try to do it with some accuracy Zero. Discount forwhat, he never asked and I never offered, thats called being smart, you should try it sometime. Try it at the box store and see what kind of discount you get.

You are correct about one thing though , the box stores do treat everyone the same, no service after the sale for anyone. Take your box and go, if it breaks take it where, to a servicing dealer, oh noooooooooooooo, but Zero said, yes we know, but what did you expect from a box store shopper,hehehe

Thall
You have shown your true colors several times on this site. You value your ego more than you do your customers. Every time some one corners you in a debate you change the topic and start quoting the canned annual report, the equivalent of verbal cut and paste. I would drive 100 miles and pay more to avoid you and your shop. You value your wanna be image more that anything. ZG

Last edited by a moderator:
The competence of the end user will be more important than where the saw was purchased. What kind of fuel is available in India? You can send quality mix I suppose. It is an ECHO after all, and it will run right from the box with quality fuel and mix. REJ2.

Thall
You have shown your true colors several times on this site. You value your ego more than you do your customers. Every time some one corners you in a debate you change the topic and start quoting the canned annual report, the equivalent of verbal cut and paste. I would drive 100 miles and pay more to avoid you and your shop. You value your wanna be image more that anything. ZG

Awwwwwwwwwwww what woose you are Zero. You didn't corner me at all, I merely proved your theroy wrong, nobody else agreed with you either about your market segmet BS. Now you slip in a "ask Thall" as though someone is paying attention to you. Hell you ought to be glad I seen it, I was the only one to answer you,LOLOL

Far as me showing my true colors ha, you haven't seen diddly. Your post there tells me your taking me very personal, thats a shame for thats what people do when they spout off BS and then get corrected, they get all personal. Well get all personal Zero, I like a good laff now and then.

Oh I forgets, you would drive a 100 miles to avoid me, well gee Zero why you getting so personal, oh and if I don't give a discount I'm now the jew, man your gonna hurt my feelings if you keep on like that,:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I work at Lowes in Concord NH . I get great employee discounts on saws .
BUT
I buy my saws at local dealers !
service before during and after sale !

Awwwwwwwwwwww what woose you are Zero. You didn't corner me at all, I merely proved your theroy wrong, nobody else agreed with you either about your market segmet BS. Now you slip in a "ask Thall" as though someone is paying attention to you. Hell you ought to be glad I seen it, I was the only one to answer you,LOLOL

Far as me showing my true colors ha, you haven't seen diddly. Your post there tells me your taking me very personal, thats a shame for thats what people do when they spout off BS and then get corrected, they get all personal. Well get all personal Zero, I like a good laff now and then.

Oh I forgets, you would drive a 100 miles to avoid me, well gee Zero why you getting so personal, oh and if I don't give a discount I'm now the jew, man your gonna hurt my feelings if you keep on like that,:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Only you could think that marketing at the nations premier home owners stores could be a failure. I bet that more home owners with acreage come into a Tractor Supply or Lowes than 100 saw dealers. These are the people that will buy saws. Lowe a and Tractor Supply are capitalizing on that need. Husqvarna's brand is enhanced by that association.
ZG

husky 455 rancher

I got my husky this year in oct. sales guy told my it was on sale over the phone drove 50 miles to get it and then it wasn't on sale they still sold it to me at 20% off for a grand price of 335 so I'm happy with Lowes:laugh

Only you could think that marketing at the nations premier home owners stores could be a failure. I bet that more home owners with acreage come into a Tractor Supply or Lowes than 100 saw dealers. These are the people that will buy saws. Lowe a and Tractor Supply are capitalizing on that need. Husqvarna's brand is enhanced by that association.
ZG

Zero did I ever say that type of marketing would be a failure, no. Did I ever say more home owners go to dealers than the box stores, no so no need to bet me for your are correct, the box stores do have much more traffic than small time dealers. However you seem to be forgetting our disagreement altogether.

We, yes you and me, were talking about brand reconition and what happens to it when your product is put on the same shelf with pure junk. You say the brand is enhanced by it, I said the brand reconition goes down because of it. That was my only disagreement with you and my man in the SUV proved my point when he said "I don't want anything remotely related to my Craftsman saw".

What your talking about is called by many rainbow marketing, and if you know marketing like you say then you have indeed heard the term and know exactly what it means. Why don't you tell all the good folks on the board what the term rainbow marketing means and explain how it enhances name brand outdoor power equipment.

I am glad to see your being more civil with me. You was really starting to hurt my feelings getting all personal. Calling me a jew was not nice. Take note I did not call you discount begging cheap skate, which you probly are but I refrained that, see I'm a nice guy, :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I got my husky this year in oct. sales guy told my it was on sale over the phone drove 50 miles to get it and then it wasn't on sale they still sold it to me at 20% off for a grand price of 335 so I'm happy with Lowes:laugh
Thats funny cause I just came from lowes and noticed there Huskies because of this thread and the 455 was regular 355.00.

Latest posts

Back