Buying from Dealer vs local stores (like hope depot)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My point is simple, your wrong, thats all. Zero you should read this entire thread and maybe you will see many aren't agreeing with your HD/Lowes saw buying experiance at all. Are they all wrong and your right, I don't think so.

Got a question for you though Zero and I'm sure only you can answer this. Now we know our two points of view very clearly about this business of rainbow marketing. So I ask you, how come when you go to a full fledge Husky saw dealer you don't see Craftsman or Wild Things on the shelf? Any idea?

Marketing saws at Tractor Supply and Lowes compared to failing hardware store chain. I don't think I am wrong at all. Your argument does support my solvent tank theroy!

The Husky dealer that I know does a good business in repair of all models of saws except Stihl. There are lots B market saws in for repair. He makes good revenue on his shop services.
ZG

Find a good local dealer, and support 'em every chance you get. It's totally worth it. I have two I frequent (different product lines), and they have never failed to take good care of my needs, often going above and beyond my expectations. How? Well, let's just say a free hat is small potatoes and leave it at that.

Marketing saws at Tractor Supply and Lowes compared to failing hardware store chain. I don't think I am wrong at all. Your argument does support my solvent tank theroy!

The Husky dealer that I know does a good business in repair of all models of saws except Stihl. There are lots B market saws in for repair. He makes good revenue on his shop services.
ZG

You ignored the question altogether. Tractor Supply and Lowes aren't full fledge Husky dealers as you well know. You know full well why the dealer's don't have those saws on their shelves but thats ok.

Yes there is a place for what you call B grade saws, HD, Lowes and Sears. They make alot of money with them too and the best part is they don't have to service them at all, a winner for them, for the customer, hmmmm, not so sure about that..

I first viewed the saw I plan to buy at a dealer I just started going to this summer. I brought a riding lawn mower to him that I had bought at Home Despot the summer before, had nothing but problems with the mower. Home Despot would not give me the time of day or point me in the right direction. Found this small engine shop, who also happens to be a Dolmar dealer amongst other things, five miles from my house. Not only did he fix the mower right, but dealt with the manufacturer and got all of the work covered under warranty, I paid nothing. That is what sold me trying one of his saws out. Home Despot wouldn't even give me a list of authorized service repair shops in the area.

For a man that two saws, neither run in lord knows how long, I doubt you have been to very many dealers period but thats just my assumtion mind you, we're all guilty of assuming at times. All those things you seen I think were more of a dream because I don't ever recall ever reading a post of yours in which you saw anything at any dealer. Come clean grasshopper, in court the judge will fry you for making such assumtions,hehe

Yes the proof is in the sales, I'm glad you reconize why even in a awful economy Stihl continues to sell and grow thanks to all those crummy dealers they have, oppps, I mean the 75% of them,haha

What you ignored to mention was regardless of what service these dealers provide its more than what the box store provides. In other words if your starving even crumbs taste good. Some is better than none, spin that ole wise one,hehehe

Tom, you're well advised to avoid assumptions. Assuming this has any merit to the discussion whatsoever, I'll give my background. First, I said ope power equipment, meaning any kind of small engined stuff. That notwithstanding, I exclusively heated with wood until I was 26 years old. I cut wood professionally for over a year. I was raised on a ranch, and have been in countless small engine dealerships for various equipment that involved. I worked in construction for 4 years.

Suffice it to say that although I don't presently have need of any such services, I have dealt with small dealers extensively for years. Good enough for you? Anything else aside from the actual important issue that you want to bash and beat around the bush with?

You should note that I don't think you're a bad dealer, but I also know you're not a reflection of the average dealer any more than the condescending comments on here are a reflection of the level of service I deliver every day.

Finally, to say that any service a little two bit crap joint provides is more than a large volume store provides is utterly and completely false. You should know better than that.

This pro-dealer thread is almost as distasteful as the dealer bashing threads.

Insulting the folks that work at Home Depot is wrong, as Home Depot just cares about hiring folks that have no criminal record, and nice clean urine.

On the flip side, most dealers have in their employ total morons, inlaws,
wives, sons, that will say anything to get you out the door and leave.

Most saw tech/owners, have no people skills, and don't mind telling a painful
customer to "Get the "heck" out of their shop"...........

And when a saw nut wanders in, wanting to talk saws.......

The owner slips out back and tells his wife to "Get rid of him".........

Keepin it real baby...........
Fish, you're my hero! :cheers:

Insulting the folks that work at Home Depot is wrong, as Home Depot just cares about hiring folks that have no criminal record, and nice clean urine.

Really? No disrespect but, if the owner is running out the back, not wanting to talk saws, mabye you need a new dealer. Ours has a counter and stools for just such a purpose, along with Free coffee and snacks.

Tom, you're well advised to avoid assumptions. Assuming this has any merit to the discussion whatsoever, I'll give my background. First, I said ope power equipment, meaning any kind of small engined stuff. That notwithstanding, I exclusively heated with wood until I was 26 years old. I cut wood professionally for over a year. I was raised on a ranch, and have been in countless small engine dealerships for various equipment that involved. I worked in construction for 4 years.

Suffice it to say that although I don't presently have need of any such services, I have dealt with small dealers extensively for years. Good enough for you? Anything else aside from the actual important issue that you want to bash and beat around the bush with?

You should note that I don't think you're a bad dealer, but I also know you're not a reflection of the average dealer any more than the condescending comments on here are a reflection of the level of service I deliver every day.

Finally, to say that any service a little two bit crap joint provides is more than a large volume store provides is utterly and completely false. You should know better than that.

Fair enuff and you being to the point I will also. You claim you have seen all these dealers who couldn't do this and that. There have been countless discussions about this very subject over the years on AS. I've yet to see one post from you in which you seen anything at any dealer. Surely you must have had some encounter you remember well enough where this or that took place. So some details would be nice to back up what you said about these dealers.

As for me stating HD, Lowes provide no service I meant after the sale. Salesmanship to move something out the door is a service your providing for your employer, not your customer. I'm referring to service after the sale. You stated what dealer would take back a striaght gassed saw like HD does. Only a very dumb one so what does that really say for the staff at HD?

Just so you know and I've told you before, HD is one of my favorite stores to shop in. I like many don't need any help in getting what I want and go. I only visit the OPE isle to see prices and what all they have to offer. The selection of small power equipment is so small it appears they really aren't to interested in it period. You know more about that than I do, I'm only basing that on what little selection I see there. So tell me is OPE a core interest of HD like OPE is to these dealers?

Last edited:
Fair enuff and you being to the point I will also. You claim you have seen all these dealers who couldn't do this and that. There have been countless discussions about this very subject over the years on AS. I've yet to see one post from you in which you seen anything at any dealer. Surely you must have had some encounter you remember well enough where this or that took place. So some details would be nice to back up what you said about these dealers.

I've got a half dozen stories I could tell you, but what would be the point? As you said, the subject has been beaten to death. Besides, it's not quite fair when they're not here to defend themselves. Wouldn't you agree? I try to not make a habit of bashing those not present.

As for me stating HD, Lowes provide no service I meant after the sale. Salesmanship to move something out the door is a service your providing for your employer, not your customer. I'm referring to service after the sale. You stated what dealer would take back a striaght gassed saw like HD does. Only a very dumb one so what does that really say for the staff at HD?

I've helped people fix their stuff numerous times when they bring it in after the sale. 99% of the time it's a case of user error. I take it as a personal insult to say my company provides no support. That simply isn't true. While it is not company policy, I've switched parts off of return to vendor items to fix customer's units several times, having had a department manager encourage it.

Taking back straight gassed saws isn't a matter of being dumb. I'll give you my take on it. When I worked hardware, I've had 3 or 4 customers try to get an exchange for well used and abused equipment that was over a year old. I flat told them no, that we could send it out for repair. So, they get the manager over there, and he gives them a new one "this one last time." I've seen this several times. It's not a matter of being stupid, it's about keeping the squeakiest wheel quiet. No manager wants customers calling up the district manager and complaining about them. So, they'll give #######s stuff they're not entitled to just to keep them quiet. That's just the way it is. I don't agree with that strategy, and I have no problem telling people no. But then, I'm not the manager. :)

Last edited:

Fish is on to something here, as usual :)

Most box stores over here tend to hire young people, who are trained to be customer friendly and to be very helpfull. And they are able to sell their range of products to the consumer crowd that is not too worried about product life time and service, at least at moment of purchase.
The quality of their power products however is really pathetic.

I know several dealers in my area, and at least 50% of them really suck for opening hours, spare parts, product range, professional advice or service.

But in the other 50%, there are some real good ones. A good dealer is worth its weight in gold for a guy who uses power tools for a living or professional use. But they are part of a minority.

Timber Buyer I know was at the Dolmar dealear the day I stopped to look at (and eventually buy) my 3410. He had a I think if I remeber correctly a broken sping on his saw.

Dealer did'nt have one in stock so he took apart a new saw to get him going.

Logger was in and out while I was still fondling my new 3410.:blush:

He probably should have had the spring in parts but, he helped the brother out in the end!

Exactly. I've seen my favorite saw shop do this many times and it's just one of the reasons you see people who make their living with saws shopping there. I've been doing business with them for over twenty years and I can't count the number of times they've gone out of their way to do the right thing and if that includes robbing parts off of a shelf saw, they'll do it in a flash. They don't charge extra for it and they don't argue.

Are they a bit more expensive than the box stores? Just a little...not much. Certainly not enough to offset all the times they've made it possible for me to keep my saws going and get back out to the woods the next day with no down time. Down time just kills you if you're logging.

Try going to any of the box stores and asking them to rob a side cover or a gas tank or even a couple of bar nuts off of a saw and see what they say.

Besides...the saw shop has better coffee, better calendars, better conversation and if you hit them on the right day there might be a plate of home made cookies around. :cheers:

I was thinking , I should do a shout out to a great dealer who has given me fantastic service over the years.
They keep great records and parts are ordered promtly and I always get reliable and friendly advice.
I wish I had a husky dealer close with such qualities.

Ronnies Repair Shop
5091 Sunbeam Road
Jacksonville, FL 32257
(904) 636-0739
ronnieslawnequipment.com

Kinda curious. The OP has gone days, and 7 pages, still nothing. Just wondering if he was smacking the hornets nest, and running like mad.

Add the letter A to OP's name and it helps the story. :). Just wondering is all.

Have a blessed day.

P.S. I bought another saw today @ my dealer. Used, but it was a sweet deal. Never @ the Depot, or lowes would they do that for ya. New chainS, new bar, the works. Great people I tell ya.

Try going to any of the box stores and asking them to rob a side cover or a gas tank or even a couple of bar nuts off of a saw and see what they say.

:

your wrong !I do it all the time. not just saws but anything that may be missing or damaged on a new item .It is very common to give parts off a floor model or stock item . we then return the robbed item to the manufacturer as missing parts . at my lowes we truelly are customer friendly !
MD

Garden Of Eden;1890253 P.S. I bought another saw today @ my dealer. Used said:
sell a used saw at a great deal ? do you think they should ? why would they sell used ? :monkey:

sell a used saw at a great deal ? do you think they should ? why would they sell used ? :monkey:

No I don't really have an opinion one way or the other. I just figured it was all new stuff, and they'd never sell something used. HOWEVER, I stand corrected. While in Lowes yesterday, they're selling a used rancher for $289. New for $351. The used is very lightly used. Very. So I ask them about it, eventually the guy says he has about 4 more various types in the back...All used. So who knows what's going on anymore. Just goes to show, every store is different, just like every dealer is too.

Still wondering about the OP. He's disappeared.

Peace unto you all, and all your families this holiday...

if you know what you are doing and are able to figure your saw or tune/repair it easily then you can buy it from whatever the place suits you; but if you only know to start it and fuel it, you should take into consideration all the help you`ll need in your machine`s lifetime.....or yours....i think
cheers

When you buy from a dealer alot comes with your purchase if its a good dealer ie. answering questions, warranty work, you will also be helping the dealer with your business.

Latest posts

Back