Buying Logs for Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a guy local who gets 450 for a tri axle load, 6-8 cords.
If I had to pay 90-120 per cord as some do I would be ahead burning oil. It's too much work for the savings at that rate.

I adverage around $50 per cord, $400 for a 8 cord triaxle. I do expect that figure to go up this year. WNC. I should probably add I take trash wood, cut offs from logging operations. Sometime large and knotty. I also pay cash.

I would be paying cash but would want some higher quality stuff. I am also going to check into buying tree tops from land owners that have had land logged. Right now I am.cutting some tree tops and they are pretty nice quality!

You guys have it good at those prices. 6-8 cord picker load her around 1000-1200. Anything I can buy less than 150 a cord in my driveway is a good deal for me.

I would be paying cash but would want some higher quality stuff. I am also going to check into buying tree tops from land owners that have had land logged. Right now I am.cutting some tree tops and they are pretty nice quality!
Around here, timber production just about doesnt exsist any more. Any large timber sales are thru the US Forest Service on government lands. The large timber companies are now havesting and chipping the tops for bio fuel. Private timber sales are usually tracts of land bought up by developers and logged by smaller logging companies. As soon as the timber is removed, its bring in the dozers and burn the brush. If your on your toes, you can get some wood as the loggers are logging if you have a saw, time, and a truck. About the only timber left for firewood is what comes off a buck saw or, from clearing for house sites.

You guys have it good at those prices. 6-8 cord picker load her around 1000-1200. Anything I can buy less than 150 a cord in my driveway is a good deal for me.

This.

I've been paying $125 a cord for a few years now. The guys who sell C/S/D around here are getting their wood from the same guy at the same price and charging $275 (or more!) a cord! So I suck it up & cut out the middle man.

When you guys say a cord of wood for 125$ you mean like a cord of block wood or is it different when it comes in logs. Around here 125$ a cord of wood is cut, split, and seasoned for at least a year, frequently two.

Log length means unprocessed logs. Normally 8-9' and/or 16-18 feet. Depending on the location cut and split wood sells for 250-500 per cord in Canada.

So.... A regular cord is 16" by 4' by 8', abd you guys are buying it 8' by 4' by 8' or did I miss something. Also I don't know about that price but I sell a tractor trailer load of buts unmillable for 850 and there is around 20-22 cords of BLOCK wood in it. Mind you that price is uncut, unsplit, and usually wood is dirty.

Back