buying ms 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigd74

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i'm buying an ms 660 and want to know what option as members recomend.it will be wearing a 24 and 28 inch bar most of the time.i dont really need one a 441 would work but its cad and for the price difference it hard to justify going smaller,once in a while i need a 36 inch bar.

Congrats in advance on the saw. Darn fine piece of machinery. I love mine.

Not quite sure what you are asking. With the bar lengths you mentioned of 24, 28 and 36, you'll be covered with that saw for pretty much anything.

Doing a muffler mod or getting a dual port muffler will allow that saw a significant power increase, as the factory muffler is pretty choked down.

Roller chain catcher instead of the factory one. Part# 1122 650 7700. Also order bumper 1122 640 8300, it goes down where the original catcher was. You may need to sand a few thousands off before installing or the chain might bind a little, I had to on my 650.

What other saws do you have ?.

My 660s are semi retired dont use them much anymore only with 36'' bars for blocking dry hard woods or for milling.
I would say 80% of my firewood i use a 261,441C and a 460.

Congrats Brother on a fine saw, they are great for big stuff.

Ya didn't mention what you will using the saw for mostly...firewood cutting, felling, milling?

In general, i like our 660s /066s to wear extended clutch covers with chip flap, roller chain catcher, big dawgs, and 3/4 wrap handle. This setup is great for big trees where ya have to work from both sides, on a slope, and helps you control the saw and get (somewhat) less chips in yer face.

I'm liking the Stihl SuperLight ES bars more and more, having started to put some miles on 'em...they seem to hold up well and save weight.

Good luck with yer new saw, and Saw Safe :cheers:

I love mine did the dual port muff mod and it is frigging loud
My partner calls it Excalibur
I run a 28

i'm looking for factory options high output oiler the above mentioned chain catcher ect.i've heard about the high output oilers and wondered if that would be worth the time.mostly i cut firewood and do some tree removals.not on a pro level.that may be in the future though this is more a case of cad but since i'm spending this much i'd like to get as many options that make sense as i can.

My 660 seems to do well (oiling) with the 30" Tsumura bar as well and its standard. I suppose a H.O. oiler would be nice though.
The things that I will upgrade to are things already mentioned here. The roller catcher and bumper. I really appreciate the parts numbers being put up there.

Id get a 28'' Stihl Light bar, and a 36'' bar. The 28'' light bar feels like a 20'', makes a bigger saw easier to use over a long period of time IMO. Don't wear ya out as fast.

Latest posts

Back