Buying my first chainsaw. Lowe's OK?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have seen an older 455 rancher handle a TON of wood processing for my aunt and uncle for years. It was cared for, but ran a lot.... and still runs well. They had other bigger saws for the bigger stuff, but anything 25" and under had the 455 in it, and honestly it did the majority of the cutting. They heat with wood and would go through over 20 cord of wood a year. My personal experiences with the 455 were great. Reliable and good at doing what is was made to do. I think being able to maintain your own equipment plays a big part in the longevity piece of the equation.
The other piece to this is value.....if you already have $250 into the cost of a saw with gift cards that really swings the value-portion of this equation into the mix. A 562 is going to out cut your 455, BUT your $125 out of pocket 455 vs. your $600 out of pocket pro-saw has a $475 price difference.....that's a lot for some to justify the purchase. Just sayin......

oof. No idea. I'm on like day four of learning about chainsaws. From what I can tell, the 250 is rated better for a 16"? I'd like to stay in the 18"/20" range. PM me if you want to discuss price and send me a few pics. Doesn't hurt to check it out.
It's in the forsale section they come with an 18 inch in .325 chain it' a nice saw.. reason I asked is I'm building my house.... so me and Lowe's know each other two well.

You must not be much of a saw man if you have to have a 372 or 461 to cut firewood.[/QUOTE]

Wow, then I must REALLY be a rotten saw man since I use a 440 and 661 to cut firewood!! lol

Perhaps. ¬.¬

Huh thats funny, small world indeed.

If you still live in the same town you did back then my wife and I actually moved up there as well, we just might be neighbors! Actually technically we're the next town over...but very close. Do you already have a guy to order grapple loads from? I've been using the same guy since we moved up here and he's been awesome, if you want his name and number shoot me a PM.

You must not be much of a saw man if you have to have a 372 or 461 to cut firewood.

Wow, then I must REALLY be a rotten saw man since I use a 440 and 661 to cut firewood!! lol[/QUOTE]
I think what mark was getting at is you don’t technically need a big pro saw to keep your house warm I’ve got some big saws too but I always got by without. Nice saws you have

You must not be much of a saw man if you have to have a 372 or 461 to cut firewood.

Wow, then I must REALLY be a rotten saw man since I use a 440 and 661 to cut firewood!! lol[/QUOTE]
Do you tell everyone they have to have a 440 or 661 to cut firewood with? That is the point...

If i cut 9-12 cords a year im going to invest in something more not to mention property maintenance on top of that

Coworker came in and I ran by him about the saw. Apparently he's big into this; had no idea. Tells me 100% that saws at Lowe's are in fact different than a dealer, and Lowe's are garbage. Another coworked chimed in and said the same thing. Tells me to avoid it at all costs and go right to the dealer.

Well. Crap.

Latest posts

Back