Buying my first chainsaw. Lowe's OK?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really would be surprised to hear a 455 Rancher from Lowes and a 455 Rancher from a specific Husky dealer are any different...

But honestly, I think you might be better off buying a saw from a local dealer anyway and use your Lowes gift cards for other house essentials you would be buying anyway. Aside from possibly getting a better product, you're building a relationship with a shop you'll frequent anyway for oil, chains, parts/service, etc.

Windy Ridge and Woodmans are the nearest Husky dealers to us...and between those two you'd be crazy to buy at Woodmans. I love Woodmans for some stuff, but they're solidly more expensive than Windy Ridge for saws, and WR really specializes more in chainsaws.

Stihl you've got North Country Tractor and Bradleys.

I also wouldnt hesitate to look for used saws on Craigslist, or possibly look into Echo saws too (also sold at Bradleys).

I have no knowledge of the rumor that the Lowe's saws are different / lower quality but find it hard to buy without something besides urban legend to support it. Are the IPL's different? I haven't looked, but how are the reviews on Lowe's site? Discount the "I started it once and its perfect type" of course but reviews from serious users can be enlightening.

I've heated with wood (and cleaned up several acres) for 35 years. Biggest saw I've owned is a Stihl 036 pro, for the first 15 years it was a Jonsereds 49SP 50cc. Very rarely have felt I didn't have enough saw. Would I like one of the 70cc saws? Certainly. Do I need it? So far no.

I really would be surprised to hear a 455 Rancher from Lowes and a 455 Rancher from a specific Husky dealer are any different...

But honestly, I think you might be better off buying a saw from a local dealer anyway and use your Lowes gift cards for other house essentials you would be buying anyway. Aside from possibly getting a better product, you're building a relationship with a shop you'll frequent anyway for oil, chains, parts/service, etc.

Windy Ridge and Woodmans are the nearest Husky dealers to us...and between those two you'd be crazy to buy at Woodmans. I love Woodmans for some stuff, but they're solidly more expensive than Windy Ridge for saws, and WR really specializes more in chainsaws.

Stihl you've got North Country Tractor and Bradleys.

I also wouldnt hesitate to look for used saws on Craigslist, or possibly look into Echo saws too (also sold at Bradleys).
Lot of people telling me about WR. I'll have to take a drive.

Perhaps someone here would be willing to sell you a good saw that's within your budget, and would accept a Lowes gift card as partial payment. (not me, I don't have anything that I could part with)

Maybe....???

Lot of people telling me about WR. I'll have to take a drive.

Thats where I bought my 562xp and they were priced significantly lower than Woodmans.

I'm not sure if Husky is still doing it but they did a $50 rebate on all XP series saws too. It took about 8 weeks but I did get the $50 VISA gift card in the mail not too long ago.

Perhaps someone here would be willing to sell you a good saw that's within your budget, and would accept a Lowes gift card as partial payment. (not me, I don't have anything that I could part with)

Maybe....???
Naw, that's just getting too messy.

I'll take a trip to a Stihl dealer and a Husky dealer. Talk to some folks in person. I'll hang onto the gift cards. I technically don't need the saw for another month or so. Maybe by then I'll have a break between bills or something. :D

Coworker came in and I ran by him about the saw. Apparently he's big into this; had no idea. Tells me 100% that saws at Lowe's are in fact different than a dealer, and Lowe's are garbage. Another coworked chimed in and said the same thing. Tells me to avoid it at all costs and go right to the dealer.

Well. Crap.
Send a email in to Husqvarna and ask them if the saws at lowes are any different. Then when they email you back, print it out and show it to your coworkers so they will see for themselves.

He won't get a better product, but a Husky dealer will set the saw up, tune it and show him how to operate and maintain it. I haven't seen anyone at my local Lowe's who has a clue about that.

He won't get a better product, but a Husky dealer will set the saw up, tune it and show him how to operate and maintain it. I haven't seen anyone at my local Lowe's who has a clue about that.
I'm actually very sour with Lowe's at the moment. I was told they had log splitters all outside ready for purchase. I drove ~45m in my one ton truck to get there and discover they have two all crated up and won't be available for another week or so. That was about $60 in fuel and ~2h of my time wasted. I was planning on simply ordering online.

So yea, I'll check out the local place and see what they have to say. Just bank on a lapse between any bills that may be coming up.

I doubt that Husky would sell a product, one designed for an authorized dealer, and then one for a big box store.

But, I've heard the same thing about John Deere products. I've been told never to buy a John Deere product from a box store.

I suppose one way to actually find out, would be to call the manufacturer. I never went to the time or trouble, cause I don't own a John Deere or a Husky.

Use your gift card, get the Husky and save money.

Steve
Ditto. Lowes doesn’t carry Echo, Home Depot does. Lowes sells a lower grade Husky than the dealer, is that fact from a friend’s cousin’s neighbor’s buddy that overheard it from a guy that used to work for the truck company that delivered to the store next to Lowes? Now if you heard it on the internet it would have to be true! :innocent:

The first 2 years I heated with wood I averaged 8 cords a year with an Echo 400. Was it extra work? Yes. Can it be done? Yes. I’ve upgraded considerably since joining this site thanks to all the help and enabling but that Husky will serve you well and keep money in your pocket until you want to upgrade or get CAD.

Seriously? Not a big Lowes fan here, but the info you received from your coworkers is incorrect.

Lowes does carry lesser models of items for bf. I purchased a big shop vac one year that had a bit smaller motor and didn't come with as many attachments as their regular model. However, it had a different model number from the regular one too. Same with the JD lawnmowers; you won't find the mtd made model numbers at dealers.

Husqvarna 965 03 02-96 is a 455 with an 18" bar and chain. Doesn't matter where it comes from, it's the same saw. The idea that Husky would built a lesser quality saw for Lowes is ridiculous.

Here's 0296 at Lowes (note the model #)
and 0296 at a dealer

Most dealers will match Lowes price if they can but it's not always possible.

Latest posts

Back