Buying my first chainsaw. Lowe's OK?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah. Ok. That makes sense. I'll get some of that then too.

I know HD sells ethanol free fuel by the quart for an insane amount of money. I thought you were referring to that stuff.

Husky fuel? There's a ethanol free gas station about seven miles from the house. Can I just mix the oil with that instead? Or is this stuff already premixed?

To Extend the Warranty by 1 Year to a Total of 3:
The consumer will need to take only 2 steps: First, the consumer must purchase at least 6 bottles of Husqvarna brand 2-stroke oil regardless of size and/or type at the same time as the qualifying handheld product purchase and both purchases must be on the original product invoice/receipt. Second, the consumer must register their product online.*

To Extend the Warranty by 2 Years to a Total of 4 years:
The consumer will need to take only 2 steps: First, the consumer must purchase at least 96 oz of Husqvarna brand pre-mixed fuel at the same time as the qualifying handheld product purchase and both purchases must be on the original product invoice/receipt. Second, the consumer must register their product online.*

For Multiple Units Purchased:
Each qualifying handheld product purchased must have an accompanying amount of 2-stroke oil or pre-mix fuel added to the original receipt in order to qualify. For example, if a consumer purchases a 455 rancher chainsaw and a 125B handheld blower and would like to have them both qualify for a 4 year limited warranty, they will need to purchase at least 192 oz of premixed fuel (96 oz for the chainsaw and 96 oz for the handheld blower).

WESTWOOD...

YES. The Husqvarna ethenol-free premix fuel. Buy 3 cans at the same time you buy the saw on the same receipt. It will make the warranty 4yrs. Worth its weight in gold. After you buy that, you can use any 2 stroke oil with any gas. Even gasahol if you want. I dont put ethenol in any of my saws ever.

Attachments

• 20180210_090707.jpg
    20180210_090707.jpg
    969.1 KB · Views: 12
I have seen several post with the admonition to properly maintain the new saw. What constitutes proper maintenance ? One of the main things you should do to make any motor last a long as possible is let the thing warm up before making it work. This is even more critical on a 2 stroke motor. Don't run the motor lean. A bit rich extends their life. Don't run the motor out of gas while cutting. When you hear it leaning out - STOP !!! You will use the saw enough to get an idea of fuel usage and the best thing is to top up the tank on a schedule. Another thing I always do is drain the gas out of the tank at the end of the day. I put a large funnel in my gas can and drain the gas from the saw back into the can. I place a blue paper shop rag in the funnel to catch any crud. I even drain the bar oil. Keep the air filter vacuumed off. Develop a good system for sharpening the chain. I recommend the Dremel set up but that heretical around here.

Don't mix up more fuel than you will use in a month or so. I only mix up a gallon at a time for use in all my 2 strokes but you will go through a lot more than me. By doing the above things my OPE lasts a very long time. I bought my first saw in the early 90's. It was a slightly used Stihl 039. Still going strong. Still on the original spark plug. My Weedeater was bought at the same time. It's a higher end Weedeater branded Poulan. Still running fine. Mostly it's good oil, fresh gas, warming them up and keeping them tuned just a tiny bit rich. I have a screwdriver clipped to my 2 stroke gas can :)

Another thing is safety gear. At the very least you should have a helmet with ear muffs. The Husky helmet they sell at Lowes works great for me. You only get one set of eyes and ears and it always amazes me to see people abusing both. I know several men that are deaf and rely on hearing aids. It's a miserable existence. The helmet will also protect you glasses if you wear them. Good luck.

So this stuff it looks like?: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-Pre-Mix-1-Quart-Pre-Blended-2-Cycle-Fuel/4650519

oof. $32 a gallon. Warranty is on Husky's side, so the one that Lowe's offers is not necessary I image.

Yep, that's the stuff. I don't buy it for everyday cutting, but I do use the "Clear" Non-Ethanol gas, that ethanol $hit out of the standard pumps will eat up rubber gaskets and fuel lines, and go stale a lot faster.
it is worth it to use Non-Ethanol fuel. In my area the non-ethanol at the gas station sells for about $4.00/gallon or more. So for 3 quarts of fuel plus oil you are going to be about $4-5 dollars, which makes the warranty only about $20.00 to add an extra two years, where else are you going to get an additional 2 year warranty on a $340.00 tool? Seemed like a Good Idea to me, but I don't buy that premix otherwise.

I will say, that I have had my 266XP and 23 Compact for over 25 years, and never needed warranty service on either, and just bought the 3120XP in August, and same story there, so in MY experience, I have never needed the Husqvarna warranty, But I still think that the warranty extension, for basically $20.00 is worthwhile.

Doug

We are in a thread at a chainsaw site, that is about a guy buying a chainsaw from Lowes. Talking about what I use for cutting firewood in this thread is called "hi jacking a thread" Giving advice about the saw in question in this thread is participating in the thread. Understand? I think that's fair enough.

And your rant about stihl fan boys and saying my 440 was way overrated was on topic? Since you seem to have a vast knowledge of saws maybe the OP would be interested in what you use.

Back