Buying my first chainsaw. Lowe's OK?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perfect for bucking a log on the ground, that's all we ever used. I purchased the first straight bar in the early 80's for limbing, top handle Craftsman/Poulan 2300av.

Steve
I cut wood once with an older man who had a big McCullouch with a bow. We cut a couple of big oaks and he bucked them to length in no time. Made my Poulan SD25 feel inferior.

And your rant about stihl fan boys and saying my 440 was way overrated was on topic? Since you seem to have a vast knowledge of saws maybe the OP would be interested in what you use.
Mark has probably forgotten more about chainsaws than YOU & I will ever know!! give it a break dude. i'm a stihl fan boy and you didn't see me getting my shorts in a bind.

i'm a stihl fan boy and you didn't see me getting my shorts in a bind.
Get a real husky:chainsaw: and chill:cheers:out Steve:laughing:.
He is quite capable of being able to fight his own battles too.

Let them have at it!! We still have a couple months left of winter...
Tag I'm in, wait what are we fighting about :laugh:.

OP;
A sharp chain on a good saw will cut far more wood than a dull chain on a pro saw, and faster, chain maintenance is key no matter which color or model is chosen. That being said learning how to maintain sharp cutters and how to set the depth gauges will go a long way.
I still think a 450 rancher would be a great choice and then grab a 60cc pro saw to run a 20 and a 24 for the occasional larger tree.
If your a bigger guy then the size/weight won't mean as much, I personally run the smallest saw I can to get the job done in a timely matter.
As I think Mark was saying the 460 is a great saw as well and will run a 24" bar if it had to although not with any sort of authority whatsoever, although I've done it and gotten buy as long as the chain was very sharp. The 460 will also weigh the same as the 455 as they are built on the same chassis.

And your rant about stihl fan boys and saying my 440 was way overrated was on topic? Since you seem to have a vast knowledge of saws maybe the OP would be interested in what you use.

If the OP want's to ask me that would be a reason for me to answer that question and would be on topic.

Personally I give no cares to what some Stihl fanboy (who admits that last Nov was the first time he ever tried to tune the carb on a chainsaw) wants to know what I use to cut firewood with.

The only reason your even in this thread is you got butt hurt about that the truth was told that not everyone needs a expensive pro saw to cut firewood with. It's not like you showed any help with knowing anything about a Husky 455.

Truth is I know some hillbillies around here that go to the woods with a couple Wildthings and a Farmboss that would put more wood in the truck in a couple hours then most of you jamokes could do in 8 hours with your fancy Stihl pro saws.

This is why this is the first time in a long time I have even bothered to help in one of these threads like this, it brings out too many nitwits...

Westwood, maybe I missed it, but what are the average trees you are going to be cutting? and what would be the Largest, you are likely to cut? What elevation are you cutting at?

If you are exclusively cutting 12-14" Pines, then a Husky 440 with an 18" bar would be plenty, if you are going to be cutting 18-24" Oak and Maples with some 36" trees thrown into the mix, the game changes very quickly.

If you are going to be cutting mainly small stuff for now, and expect to cut larger in the future, then I would second the recommendation to get a 450 Rancher now, and add something like a 562XP or 372XP in the future as budget allows for an excellent 2 saw plan.

Elevation can have an effect on performance as well. When I bought my 266XP the vast majority of my cutting was below 1,000' elevation, my 266 could bury a 24" bar with a full comp chain in a large Douglas Fir, and keep ripping. Now most of our cutting is above 5,000' in elevation, occasionally over 6,000', that 266 will still pull that 24" full comp chain, but it is noticeably slower.

We also prefer the larger wood that many avoid, if it is available and accessible, we will cut the 20-28" or larger stuff that many others drive past, I was seriously considering the 395XP, but Dave "The Chainsaw Guy" on here was selling New 3120xp's for $1399.00, and I was interested in getting into CSM (Chain Saw Milling) so for that price, I stepped up to the 3120XP, so for now, I am on a 4 saw plan, and in the Future would also like to add a 550XP and still want a 395XP too.

Becareful, CAD (Chainsaw Addiction Disorder/Disease) can be very contagious, you COULD even contract it from a site like this ;)

Also, as has been mentioned PPE is an EXTREMELY GOOD Idea, a Helmet with ear muffs and a face shield, and a pair of Chaps, and some good gloves are reasonably priced for the protection they offer.

Doug:cheers:

Get a real husky:chainsaw: and chill:cheers:out Steve:laughing:.

Tag I'm in, wait what are we fighting about :laugh:.

OP;
A sharp chain on a good saw will cut far more wood than a dull chain on a pro saw, and faster, chain maintenance is key no matter which color or model is chosen. That being said learning how to maintain sharp cutters and how to set the depth gauges will go a long way.
I still think a 450 rancher would be a great choice and then grab a 60cc pro saw to run a 20 and a 24 for the occasional larger tree.
If your a bigger guy then the size/weight won't mean as much, I personally run the smallest saw I can to get the job done in a timely matter.
As I think Mark was saying the 460 is a great saw as well and will run a 24" bar if it had to although not with any sort of authority whatsoever, although I've done it and gotten buy as long as the chain was very sharp. The 460 will also weigh the same as the 455 as they are built on the same chassis.

That is pretty much exactly what I was trying to say, the 460 weighs the same as the 455 so having the extra power is always good. Put a 18" bar on it and it will cut 18" wood about as good as the 70cc pro saws will and like you said, you have the option of using a 24" bar on it if needed for bigger stuff.

That is pretty much exactly what I was trying to say, the 460 weighs the same as the 455 so having the extra power is always good. Put a 18" bar on it and it will cut 18" wood about as good as the 70cc pro saws will and like you said, you have the option of using a 24" bar on it if needed for bigger stuff.
Yep, the 70cc won't make a lot of difference in the smaller wood which is where most of the cutting is made, except that it's heavier, that is unless the depth gauges are taken down a few thousandths extra :).
I like the 450 because it's basically the same specs as the 353 and they go for a long time, and with the OP having the gift cards it would cost almost nothing.
I've cut a lot of firewood with the 450, 455, 460 as well as the 029, 029 special, 029 special magnum, 029 special magnum with the secret sauce:lol:, the 039, 310, 311 and they all cut firewood just fine, some a little faster than others.
There are so many other things that effect the overall time it takes to get wood from the woods to the stove that the size of the saw means very little as long as it's capable of cutting a round out of a log, but we mustn't speak of such things and cloud the already murky water with such truths as these :badpc:.
I'm sure the OP needs to get a kidder and a wood processor too:laughing::happy:.

Westwood, maybe I missed it, but what are the average trees you are going to be cutting? and what would be the Largest, you are likely to cut? What elevation are you cutting at?
Mostly small stuff. 90% an 18" could do. I'm not cutting down trees. Only going for stuff that has snapped or already fallen naturally. For log length grapple loads, also smaller stuff. To hell with knocking around big rounds.

Chatted with a friend today, and there's a place not too far away that sells used Stihl saws. All rebuilt and ready to go. He highly suggested that I check it out.

There is also a bit of a twist with all this. I actually can't use the saw. Er, I shouldn't use the saw. I'm a severe hemophiliac. One whoops and my wife is burying me in the garden. My Dad is going to do the cutting as well as friends. Saw will just be here for others to use while I split and stack. I'm going to pick up some quality PPE too to have on hand as well.

Well I could careless how much he knows or knew, if a man acts in a disrespectful manner I'll call him on it. Calling another man's post 'stupid' as he did with Evan's post qualifies as disrespectful.
I've never claimed to be an expert but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to cut firewood or use a saw, or to tune one which I found out.

Westwood- Sorry for all the side bickering.
The brand of the saw is not as important as the cc's, if you know the average size of the wood you'll be cutting
then pick a saw with the appropriate cc's. A box store won't matter.

If you order wood from the guy we discussed a 50cc saw will do fine. I used a 50cc stihl with 20" bar for the first few years, before replacing it with an 18" and getting a 60cc saw with 20". The 60 is nice on the couple of big ones he brings but 98% of the wood he'll bring you is easily managed with a 50cc 18" setup. Worst case you just cut what you can and roll it over to finish, it's no big deal.

Definitely check out the used Stihls though, I (and a lot of guys here) would recommend the stihl 261. I love mine, it's great for bucking up our grapple load but also a perfect saw for bringing out on the property to clean up storm damage etc.

Well I could careless how much he knows or knew, if a man acts in a disrespectful manner I'll call him on it. Calling another man's post 'stupid' as he did with Evan's post qualifies as disrespectful.
I've never claimed to be an expert but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to cut firewood or use a saw, or to tune one which I found out.

Westwood- Sorry for all the side bickering.
The brand of the saw is not as important as the cc's, if you know the average size of the wood you'll be cutting
then pick a saw with the appropriate cc's. A box store won't matter.

I'm glad someone with a whole 64 post knows what has been going on here for a long time to know what is disrespectful and what is not. I'm just glad you came back and finally added something to the thread for the OP.

Back