Buying my first chainsaw. Lowe's OK?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get some hearing protection too, it'll ring your bell especially when the muffler right up against rounds.
I don't use all the other protective gear out there but always have safety glasses and earplugs on me.

Many years ago a Chainsaw nicked my thigh. Only cut my jeans. I took that as a warning from God (I'm old fashioned still believe) and now I use Helmet, face screen, hearing protection, chaps, and steel toe boots.
All that is cheap compared to a single Emergency room visit. IMHO, anyone who can't afford safety equipment can't afford to use a Chainsaw. Safety isn't an opinion with me.
Also safe working conditions like limbing all non support branches and clearing the bucking space so feet don't trip me up. Even with all that it's still possible to get hurt or killed. Caution, wisdom, and training is also needed. A simple book called How to fell a tree is required reading for my Grandsons. Also lots of videos by BC Fallers available. I was almost knocked out of a tree a few years ago. My mistake. I dropped a Chainsaw once. Yes it was tethered but not completely correctly. Limbing if not done correctly can kill. I saw a guy cuts support limb to close to the tree. The tree did a 180 and another limb on the other side came across and grazed him. Had it hit right he'd be dead. Even smaller trees can kill. A small tree killed a friend of a friend of mine. My buddy said that tree was less than 12 inches at the stump. Wedges and knowing how to use them save lives and property. Once I was bucking in a hurry and thought I could skip the wedge. That saw pinched then kicked back the handle hit me knocking me backwards into a bunch of blackberry, saw briers and cutoffs, saw fell missing me but I was beat up pretty good. In my youth I was always in a hurry. Was bucking a medium oak and had a saw pinch kicking back handle almost broke my shin bone. Sawing up limbs With an 029. Put my foot on a 6 incher saw went through the piece under my foot rolled just as the chain went through and hit the end of my Steel toe boot. Just a Nick but lesson learned. I see YouTube video guys sawing in shorts and tennis shoes. It's a horror show. Makes me look away. No matter how simple the act, before the motor reeves every piece of safety gear SHOULD go on. But, I'm preaching to the choir. AND, I'm guilty sometimes. Who, bunkers out to start a saw in the shop? Or show uncle Bob my new saw? Like a married man looking at a beautiful lady I have to remind myself of the rules. We all want a short cut. That's most often when we get a bloody cut.

Attachments

• IMG_20170406_153045.jpg
    IMG_20170406_153045.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
Thanks. On YouTube they have video of trees Barber Chairing and people getting killed for mistakes. I don't let anyone just grab a saw of mine without rigorous training.
My 18 year old Grandson got a job. The boss needed an operator. Grandson is trained to limb and buck up to 12 inches but not fell. Boss said show me what you can do. GS began with the saw. Boss was amazed. GS got a raise on the spot and more responsibility. Here at my house education never stops. I bought a book by Jeff Jepson short and simple with a lot of information. Good for beginners and a refresher for me. I discuss it as they read and it's good for all of us. Around here we've got guys who think they can use a Chainsaw without anyone teaching them anything. Those guys get hurt often, drop trees on property, and ruin Chainsaws. Read the reviews. Motor won't idle, it leaks bar oil. I like the quick adjustment. I buy premixed (about 20 bucks a gallon) . Tell me how much cutting that guy is going to do. He may be ahead to buy a small generator and an electric saw. Mistakes can often be avoided by simply reading up. Lots of cheap or free advice to be had. A wise man will educate himself.
Have a great day.

You can sell gift cards. I'd take a small percentage of loss and sell them on line. Maybe buy something then refund it for cash.

This isnt a bad idea...you can use the money to buy the same saw from Tractor Supply, they carry Husky saws now. The one right up the road from us had quite a few lined up the last time I walked through.

This isnt a bad idea...you can use the money to buy the same saw from Tractor Supply, they carry Husky saws now. The one right up the road from us had quite a few lined up the last time I walked through.
Yea, that's where I looked first. A bit pricey. I'm going to take a trip to Windy Ridge.

If we're going for the religious aspect, you do Know that GMC IS an acronym right? it stands for God's Mechanical Curse

CHEVROLET= Crank Hammers Every Valve Rattles Oil Leaks Every Time

And of Course We ALL KNOW:

FORD=First On Race Day ;)

Hey Where's Dave Hadden from the P&R Forum? We're Just having Fun With Word's here :)

Doug :cheers:
don't invite him to this thread...nawwwww.....

{snip}
No matter how simple the act, before the motor reeves every piece of safety gear SHOULD go on. But, I'm preaching to the choir. AND, I'm guilty sometimes. Who, bunkers out to start a saw in the shop? Or show uncle Bob my new saw? Like a married man looking at a beautiful lady I have to remind myself of the rules. We all want a short cut. That's most often when we get a bloody cut.

About the only thing I do differently.... If the day is fresh out of the gate, I start the saw THEN put on the safety gear while it idles on the ground to warm up (with the chain brake engaged).

Just got back from the local dealer.

ZWbi61K.jpg

I thought it was a Stihl dealer, but it was Husky. That's fine. Guy threw in safety glasses, ear plugs, and a file. Bought three cans of the premixed stuff for the Husky warranty. He had PPE there, but it was a bit more expensive than online. I can see spending a few more bucks, but it was enough to have to pass. Said he has the same saw at home and it is more than enough for what I plan on doing. They had the....460? I think it was and it was about $200 more. Paid $360 for it. I think I'll be happy with it.

I'm sure that it will be a good saw for you, I have had Excellent Luck with my Huskys, I have had the 266XP and 23 Compact for about 26-27 years now, both Stihl:) Run Great, I would buy them again.

My Wife got the 445, the next saw down, for Christmas, and is Anxious to try it out, wood cutting season is scheduled to open here April 15th, Hopefully there will be some snow free areas open, with decent wood to cut.

Doug :cheers:

Wow. What a good lookin' saw.

People rag on the clamshell saws here and claim they are disposable. They're right. I'll probably just toss my ten year old 350 in another 20-25 years if I live that long.

Go to a store and hold one of those less expensive saws if you really want to feel good about your purchase.

Wow. What a good lookin' saw.

People rag on the clamshell saws here and claim they are disposable. They're right. I'll probably just toss my ten year old 350 in another 20-25 years if I live that long.

Go to a store and hold one of those less expensive saws if you really want to feel good about your purchase.
When you toss it, look out! I'll probably be tossing my 20 year old Stihl 025.

Good buy I’ve run one of those. It had a hiccup in the carburetor. I sorted that out without actually having to work on it. Guy left old mix in it that wanted to plug up the carb. I poured in some of mine and the new gas cleaned the old crud up a couple days later it ran perfect. I tuned it up and it had plenty of spunk. I liked it quite a bit.

Nice, looks good, thanks for the picture and.....some closure :). Bet that 450 will do everything you need, enjoy!

Edit: Throw up a video if you get the chance, always down to see some chips getting thrown.

Latest posts

Back