Buying new Husqvarna saw on ebay?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistermojo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, first time caller, long time listener. I am in the market for a new saw. I'm a homeowner and deer hunter so the saw will be used for trimming and light felling, as well as clearing ATV trails of downed trees. I was given a Poulan Wild Thing as a gift just under 2 years ago which didn't hold up to the challenge. Thankfully the person that gave it to me also bought the replacement plan on it from the store, so I exchanged it for a brand new one I am going to sell.

For the new saw, I have made up my mind to go Husqvarna based on conversation with 2 associates at the local saw shop, use of other Husky products, and internet research. My wallet restricts me to the 445 or 450 and I am going with the 18" bar. Please don't turn this into a brand battle thread or a for $50 more you can get xxxx bigger saw thread.

Unfortunately, all of the shops around town are all generally at MSRP, which is why I am looking at ebay. Occasionally one of the big box stores will offer $20 off as they are right now which helps but still comes up short.

For comparison: I can get an 18" 445 at the box store for $330 inc tax, or I can get one on ebay for $338 shipped with extra chain and 3 cans of pre-mix fuel to double the warranty to 4 years. $298 shipped for just the saw.

450 only comes in 20" at the box store and runs $379 + tax or I can get 18" 45o for $337 shipped. With an extra chain and mixed fuel for 450 20" on ebay runs $370 shipped.

So my questions are:
1. Is there any technological difference between the 445 and 450 other than engine size? (maybe one has better components, better build, etc?)

2. Has anyone had any good or bad dealings with sellers of new equipment on ebay? You don't need to give specific sellers if you don't want, just in general things I should look out for.

3. Are there any sponsors or members on this site who can deal on price to be comparable to what I see on ebay? Would love to give the business to someone if possible.

4. Are factory warranties worth spending the extra money on the fuel cans to extend? $25 for 3 quarts is $33 per gallon. I can mix up a lot of non-oxy fuel for that price...

Thanks for sticking with me, I look forward to hearing your advice.

Mistermojo

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/husqvarna-395-576-450-jonsered-2152c.281019/
Get a hold of Caleb he has a Husky 450 for $275 shipped, close to $100 off retail. I have bought a saw from him, he is first class to deal with!

I haven't had a 445 in my hands but I have a 450, darn good saw for the money. With that said im 99% sure they are identical saws with the 450 have 5cc's more and 0.4 more horsepower.

For the most part most ebay sellers selling new saw are legit. A new saw is a new saw, if its not file a claim and have it returned if you decide to go that route.

I cant answer your warranty question, I work on my own equipment and I have never filled out a warranty card.

Good luck with your decision and welcome to the site.

445 is a great saw IMO I cut 167 cords of hardwood last year with mine. And 200 the previous two years. With a 18" bar. I use a full chisel stihl chain. The best combo for the saw I promise.

Thanks all for the good info so far - keep it coming. As I think more about it, the 450 is the way to go. almost 1/2 more horsepower is not insignificant.

Would still love to hear from folks that have used the warranty or do warranty work. This is the one thing leaning me away from a private party deal, but I will contact Caleb and see what's up.

Mojo

According to Husky's site the 445 and 450 are both 10.8 lbs (minus bar and chain of course).

Was reading user comments on Husky site, people were concerned about the 1 lug bar attachment vs 2 lugs. Is this an issue to be concerned about?

I've beat on a 445 for years, and the single nut is a non issue. A surprisingly solid saw for the money. 16" is a better balanced setup, and as was said, ditch the "safety" chain. For the use you describe, I don't see you using the warranty on any quality saw

According to Husky's site the 445 and 450 are both 10.8 lbs (minus bar and chain of course).

Was reading user comments on Husky site, people were concerned about the 1 lug bar attachment vs 2 lugs. Is this an issue to be concerned about?
I have never had any problem with the one nut setup. I have never run a 16" bar on my 445 have no comment there. I have bucked up 3' logs with an 18" bar many times.

I used a 450 for a while. Great saw for what it is. Once I stepped up to 18" and larger oak and other hardwoods, it was time for an XP.

If you are relying on associates at the local saw shop for advice, and expect to rely on them for warranty work, you should consider supporting them by buying the saw there, IMHO.

If you are doing all the research on your own; and plan to do all of your own maintenance, repair, and warrantied work on your own; you can save a few dollars on the Internet. Some of the site sponsors will match most Internet prices, but they will not be there to help you locally.

Philbert

I'd prefer the two lug. Probably would hold the bar more solidly. With two lugs I wouldn't think each nut would have to be so tight to do the job.

A Smokin Deal!!!
I sure jumped on it. I'm surprised someone ahead of me hadn't taken it but I get lucky once in a while.. The "couple of other parts" I was referring to really didn't need changed, the muffler had a dent in it and I bought a new one and the handlebar had a few cuts in the padding and I replaced it from another saw.

Back