buying used saws....which? profit or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These days everybody seems to be making crazy money flipping chainsaws and there are apparently dozens of buyers patiently lining up with big wands of cash in their hands to buy such collectibles as MS180's and Chicom Hitachi's.

You have to tell me your secret because it took me four months to sell an MS290 last year and in the end I sold it at a small loss: I had to throw in a used chain in good shape to sell the saw at cost (what I paid for it plus parts), otherwise I'd still have that damn thing.
You also have to tell me how you pay so little for saws, even seized ones, because here every seller is apparently holding to a treasure of the greatest rarity and won't knock off one penny.
I've made a bit of money in the past buying saws cheaply and fixing them up then selling them. Usually it's just luck finding a saw that people want that needs fixing. It's no trouble selling something like a 346xp if the price isn't too high. You just have to be careful how much money you end up in the saw and how popular that saw is. A MS290 shouldn't have been hard to sell normally if the price is under $250 and it isn't too beat up...If you can't sell a 290 and make money on it you probably are in the wrong business..

Lol i was going to say that to.

I wouldnt even mess with a 180 , lol ut if i could make 150 bucks on it id be game.

I've made a bit of money in the past buying saws cheaply and fixing them up then selling them. Usually it's just luck finding a saw that people want that needs fixing. It's no trouble selling something like a 346xp if the price isn't too high. You just have to be careful how much money you end up in the saw and how popular that saw is. A MS290 shouldn't have been hard to sell normally if the price is under $250 and it isn't too beat up...If you can't sell a 290 and make money on it you probably are in the wrong business..

I think it's just a different market.
Here Husqvarna and Stihl farm saws have always been about the same money as pro-saws so they aren't as widespread as in the US where they are considerably cheaper than pro-saws. In fact judging by local ads I suspect Stihl x36x saws (036, MS360 etc) have far far outsold 1127 series saws.
The only money I had in that Farm Boss was an oil pump, an air filter and a spark plug. For the rest I had to clean a ton of carbon buildup and set fueling. It wasn't in bad shape by any means. I used it to cut a lot of Black locust while I was talking myself into an MS362, so all in all I shouldn't complain, but still I cannot understand the local used power equipment market.

Yeah, I went to the local small engine shop and mentioned I like Husqvarna saws and got an awful reaction from several guys who apparently were Echo fans. I also mentioned I like Stihls and disliked to work on Echo saws which didn't help. By the way, the place I was was an Echo dealership...I don't completely dislike Echo saws, have a top handle Echo that I use frequently.

I've been flipping on the side for a few years now. It's generally a waste of time. Keep one eye open on the local CGSLST for a sure thing but otherwise leave it alone
Yes. Watch and have cash ready and move quickly when those nuggets do pop up (MS 290 Farm Boss new never used $225).

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I think it's just a different market.
Here Husqvarna and Stihl farm saws have always been about the same money as pro-saws so they aren't as widespread as in the US where they are considerably cheaper than pro-saws. In fact judging by local ads I suspect Stihl x36x saws (036, MS360 etc) have far far outsold 1127 series saws.
The only money I had in that Farm Boss was an oil pump, an air filter and a spark plug. For the rest I had to clean a ton of carbon buildup and set fueling. It wasn't in bad shape by any means. I used it to cut a lot of Black locust while I was talking myself into an MS362, so all in all I shouldn't complain, but still I cannot understand the local used power equipment market.

Where exactly is "Mrs. Miggins' Coffee Shop"?

My brother has been doing it for years. Your best bet is to flip them as is. Spend 30 mins or so assessing the saw (compression, spark, does it fire, etc) and toss it on ebay. Any Husky or Stihl will sell, but others sell as well. Don't bother buying Poulan, McCulloch, or Homelite unless you know it's a desirable model. The biggest key is having access to a steady supply of low cost saws. Put an an on Craigslist and see what people have close to you. I've flipped saw. I bought 7 or 8 this winter. I've already made money have have several good saws left over, including a husky 261, two 2100s, a 66, and a 395xp.

If you keep selling on ebay eventually you'll get screwed by a scam buyer, they're thick on ebay and ebay doesn't do anything to stop them. I've made some money there but don't like the idea of getting cheated every now and then. Ebay won't even let you give buyers a negative feedback when it happens..

You have to pick your market and know it well. I picked up a Pioneer 700 for $12.50 when I was selling the copper pipe when we replumbed our house. I had one of my Homelite Super 1050's on the back of the truck. The scrap guy asked if I liked old saws. Yep. Sold it as is for $125. Picked up an old Homelite 7-29 at an auction for $60. A member here offered me $800 plus shipping. My first criteria is bar over 24" and over 70CC's. They seem to go well, Joe.

interesting, so it seems Stihl just has higher attention and market value than ANY other brand out there.
but its only an illusion because, in my humble opinion, the majority of buyers have little knowledge/interest, and therefore are brainwashed/conditioned into thinking stihls are the best because that's what they see professionals using today, regarding older saws from the 70's 80's stihl were no where near partner, jonsereds in my opinion. Husqvarna are as good as stihl to this today, and its down to personal choice which of the two to use, I'm not to clued up on newer saws but back in the day, they were many brands, from many countries, all of which were top quality and well engineered, from oleo-mac alpina in Italy, to mcculloch homelite, remington usa, danarm in the u.k, Husqvarna, partner, jonsereds of Sweden, pioneer, stihl, solo, dolmar everyone of top quality brands, yet the majority think stihl are and were the be all and end all when they weren't, they condition themselves to think that way. C.D

Lots of firewood burners here. Nearly 1/2 are Stihl owner, the other 1/2 Husqvarna.

Finding deals on saws (here) is a slow process. Most people (here) have an inflated sense of what anything is worth anymore. I'd guess that some place like California where 'money falls from the sky', and people buy like 'money falls from the sky' would part with something (hardly or never used) just to move the 'junk' their elder parent bought to fulfill some fantasy.
Im guessing you’ve never been to Ca.?

I paid $25 for an old Pioneer, sold it for $450.
You need to know your market, what to buy and what to leave behind.
View attachment 588046
I got one of those for free, but decided to keep it.

I've been flipping on the side for a few years now. It's generally a waste of time.
Unless you get a saw for super cheap or free, it’s generally a waste of time. Parting out saws would probably make more money, but takes an awful lot of time.

All in all, it’s not really a good way to make money.

Yes Stihl holds their value the best. Kinda like Toyotas here.

Yep. Same here.....if you buy a Stihl or a Toyota you have to do as my old high school shop teacher said, "its like going to the doctor, open your wallet and say ahhhhhh" or the dentist "you're gonna feel a little pinch".

If you keep selling on ebay eventually you'll get screwed by a scam buyer, they're thick on ebay and ebay doesn't do anything to stop them. I've made some money there but don't like the idea of getting cheated every now and then. Ebay won't even let you give buyers a negative feedback when it happens..

To be fair about eBay, there are some crappy sellers as well. I just got dooped on some Husky/J'red parts. Not completely dooped, but he claimed they were good used stuff, and that just wasn't the case (more like completely worn out). Anyway, because I shipped them overseas, its a bit difficult to fight for a return/refund or whatever.

At least it's better than a Dodge Rampage or a Subaru Brat.

Yeah, but they got nothing on an El Mingo....I grew up running around in my cousin's El Camino!

Lots of firewood burners here. Nearly 1/2 are Stihl owner, the other 1/2 Husqvarna.

Finding deals on saws (here) is a slow process. Most people (here) have an inflated sense of what anything is worth anymore. I'd guess that some place like California where 'money falls from the sky', and people buy like 'money falls from the sky' would part with something (hardly or never used) just to move the 'junk' their elder parent bought to fulfill some fantasy.
You have no idea what you are talking about. By the time we get a parts saw buy used oem parts thst we need cylinders for example then get all the seals bearings rings fuel lines impulse lines carb kits clutch springs gaskets etc. We can have 100 bucks or better in oem new parts. then build saw and then sell saw we are lucky if we make 75 to 100 bucks top profit after 35 45 bucks to ship it to new buyer after posting it for sale for a month or better before it sells with our money tied up in it. What do you know about building saws? Please tell us how to build a saw and split a case.

You have no idea what you are talking about. By the time we get a parts saw buy used oem parts thst we need cylinders for example then get all the seals bearings rings fuel lines impulse lines carb kits clutch springs gaskets etc. We can have 100 bucks or better in oem new parts. then build saw and then sell saw we are lucky if we make 75 to 100 bucks top profit after 35 45 bucks to ship it to new buyer after posting it for sale for a month or better before it sells with our money tied up in it. What do you know about building saws? Please tell us how to build a saw and split a case.
As far as the worth of a saw, that goes both ways, I've bought several saws for way less because the owner didn't know it's worth but not on this site. Most are pretty in the know about saws including their worth.

If "money falls from the sky" in California why are there so many homeless there? I guess it's not completely homeless if you live in a tent alongside the highway...As far as the worth of a saw, that goes both ways, I've bought several saws for way less because the owner didn't know it's worth but not on this site. Most are pretty in the know about saws including their worth.

Which one? This one? I don't see why you are so offended by what @a. palmer jr. has said here. Nor, can I see why you are teeing off on other folks.

Go read aj palmers committ to me about cali and all his nonsense to me about a tent and homeless nonsense then justify that comment why dont you
If you are offended about the tent alongside the highway, he's not talking about you. He means homeless people in California that have tents as homes--nothing to do with you.

Which one? This one? I don't see why you are so offended by what @a. palmer jr. has said here. Nor, can I see why you are teeing off on other folks.

If you are offended about the tent alongside the highway, he's not talking about you. He means homeless people in California that have tents as homes--nothing to do with you.
My apology then. Didnt see what thats got to do with saws though. Take care

Latest posts

Back