Bye Bye 540xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True but I wouldn't bet on that solving his problem with his remaining saw. He sounds very savvy with regards to troubleshooting.
I know fuel could be an issue, but I will say this.... Our stihls run on the cheapest, shittiest fuel that the city buys. Never have we had an issue with those saws. We have a couple 201t's that run a good 3-4 hours a day for the last 4 years with constant stopping and restarting. Only thing I've seen break on them is the handle when it fell from the bucket.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Yep I've tried a few different ones. Doesn't really change anything. Once it's warm outside and the saw get hot, it won't restart unless you let it sit for a half hour or so. I swear the fuel is boiling in the line or something.

And that frustrates me about the dealer. They start it, run it for a minute or two, shut it off and it will restart no problem for them. I say no, run a tank of fuel through it and let it get real hot. And don't run it in your air conditioned shop, take it outside in the heat. When it needs fuel and they shut it off, I guarantee it will not restart.

have you peeked into the cylinder through the muffler yet? Mine was doing the same thing (would not restart Hot) and the piston showed scoring. I am keeping real close eye on piston now! Andyshine said in an earlier post that husky has an updated cylinder and piston for the 562. Heat is ovbviously an issue with the 562 but whether its causing yours who knows. Anyway, I think its good idea to make sure the piston is not showing wear.

have you peeked into the cylinder through the muffler yet? Mine was doing the same thing (would not restart Hot) and the piston showed scoring. I am keeping real close eye on piston now! Andyshine said in an earlier post that husky has an updated cylinder and piston for the 562. Heat is ovbviously an issue with the 562 but whether its causing yours who knows. Anyway, I think its good idea to make sure the piston is not showing wear.
No it's at the dealer. Hopefully I will hear from them tomorrow.

What happened to the Dolmar?

Its been retired to the back of the shelf where it collects dust bunnies and mud wasps. The 5100 was a great saw in its day with a lot of power for 50cc but it handled just like a 60cc saw. Both the 562xp and 550xp simply outclass the little dolmar in most departments.

Its been retired to the back of the shelf where it collects dust bunnies and mud wasps. The 5100 was a great saw in its day with a lot of power for 50cc but it handled just like a 60cc saw. Both the 562xp and 550xp simply outclass the little dolmar in most departments.

Did it give you good service at least?

Your handling comment ties in with my thinking on a 6400 over the 5100.

The 6400 is big and heavy, but it's also durable, reliable and we'll priced.
True but for little more I would go 7310/7910 and leave out the, at least in my eyes naive "dream" of easy upgrade in the future. Why naive? Who knows what's in the future and we might all have laser chainsaws by then...
But personally I prefer a 60 cc saw and, in this instance I agree with ST, wouldn't want to carry around the extra weight for very little performance gain over the 6100.

Did it give you good service at least?

Your handling comment ties in with my thinking on a 6400 over the 5100.

Oh hell no. It is just a chainsaw, not a sports car. It’s got the same fuel as it had in 2011 and I am sure it has puked out all of its bar oil. I just recently started the ms361 that had been sitting for a similar amount of time. It started and ran fine on the 5 year old mix (10%ETOH gasp!). We cut a couple of logs, had a good laugh and I popped it back onto the shelf.

I own both a Makita 6401 and a Dolmar 7900. The 6401 is built like a bank vault. It is a huge and heavy saw compared to the 5100. The 5100 is more comparable with a 357xp or the ms361 in handling. My 6401 is an ex-pat from Home Despot. I use it to tackle stuff you don’t normally want to cut. Worse it has tackled were asphalt roofs, a tree imbedded with chain link and a tree with a t post in the middle. The 6401 does not have anywhere near the power of the 7900 but it is still a very strong saw. It is also the saw I will loan out if someone asks for one.

Obviously the 7900 is the way to go. Again the 6400 is a strong saw, remember it has the same stroke as the 7900, so it has way more torque than a normal 60cc saw. In fact I ran a 6400 with a 28" bar in hardwood and it did very well, but it's no 7900 that's for sure.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The problem you are citing has been documented before and I've had the same issue. There is a thread on richening the low speed to get the saw to start correctly.
If it's really that simple it's pretty sad that the dealer can't figure it out. It's been in there several times for this issue .

I use shell premium with husqvarna oil. I mix it 50:1.
I'm about an hour away from you and have had exactly the same warm restart issues last year with both my 576 XPG auto tune and Redmax G5300 (353). It's leftover super from the winter that makes em start easier in the cold but vapour locks first warm day[emoji35]. Neighbor laughed at my cursing and pulling [emoji4]NOT auto tune issue at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm about an hour away from you and have had exactly the same warm restart issues last year with both my 576 XPG auto tune and Redmax G5300 (353). It's leftover super from the winter that makes em start easier in the cold but vapour locks first warm day[emoji35]. Neighbor laughed at my cursing and pulling [emoji4]NOT auto tune issue at all

This happened all last summer and I bought gas quite a few times throughout the summer. Where do you buy your gas and what runs best in your saws?

Get it now just at local pro stop in Stirling .Was a little disappointed thinking Shell in Belleville would've been good. Uncle has had 441 for 5 years or more and has always had cold start issues with it lol.

Latest posts

Back