C5 has lost it's grunt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkesler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Was bucking a downed poplar the other day (20 diameter or so), and my C5 starting bogging down and stalling, even with just letting the saw do the work (no pushing down on it).

Where does a 2 smoke novice start with diagnosis?

I am not familar with a C5, but for a typical saw (Stihl) I would start by making sure the air cleaner element is clean. There is also a fuel pickup/filter in the tank. I would make sure the chain moves freely. Make sure the fuel tank vent isn't plugged. Make sure the sparkplug is clean. After that you start talking saw disassembly for carb cleaning, vacuum pickup hose,etc.

Those simptoms are due most likely to running the saw lean.

Lean, incorrect oil mix, boogers in the carb all will cause the saw to fall on its face while in the cut.

I would adjust your Hi needle and go from there.

I may be wrong, but the C5 is a reed intake saw. look at the intake, and check for something holding a reed open or something like that.

Are you using 3/8 or .404 chain? 7 or 8 tooth sprocket?
The 3/8 chain is lighter and takes less power to turn, RM chain is less aggressive than RS, and a 7T sprocket will drop the chain speed so that the RPM's will hopefully stay up in the 6-7k powerband under load. If 3/8" RM chain and a 7T sprocket doesn't take enough load off the powerhead to keep it from bogging you may need to go to skip chain with that 24" bar. All of the above assumes you've checked the simple stuff already mentioned (lean carb, air leak, plugged filters, exhaust etc.) and it still bogs under load.

Not sure on the # of teeth but it's a 3/8 chain. I've been running chisel on that bar for years with no problems, even in hardwood, and now it's falling flat in poplar, so I don't think it's chain related. I can always put an older chain on it and test, though.

I have a list now to start working, so I will take a look and report back.

Thanks everyone.

Update time.

Well, don't I feel dumb. Checked this, checked that, nothing made it better.

Then I fixed it. Problem? Bad gas. Used it today to section up part of a sweetgum for transport and it ran like a charm.

Thanks everyone for the help, and I will try to check the simple stuff first next time before I cry wolf.

I think you did the right thing.
Now we get to talk about the C-5!

Cool saw. The C series in general were all about a longer piston stroke. But for the C-5 and C-51, Homelite maintained the 1.5 " stroke on those models, so I'm glad you have her on 3/8 chain.

For any Homelite C-series a 10616 PowerMate sprocket system is a must. If you are running a C-series without one, you are not getting the full benefit of the saw.

Running a 24" I would say is taking it to it's limit though.
The interchangeability of the sprocket system is a wonderful thing this saw is able to take full advantage of.
They didn't set up the hub so you have to remove the clutch on these series of saw, so the user can readilly switch the cutting personality.

Purchasing a 16" bar setup and switching to an 8tooth sprocket, for example should limb a downed tree for you very nicely. A 16" bar and chain and sprocket cost way less than buying a new saw to take that role. You can even make use of .404 the saw has the grunt to be versatile. Utilizing this system insures periodic inspection by the user, and things tend to last longer.

Larger C-series have even more to offer at roughly the same weight, keeping the C-5 at an undervalued rate on the saw market.

Do to it's weight I would rate it a homeowner saw, but this will be there when you need it. You can bet on that and we'll be seeing a huge flood of homeowners looking for their firewood saw. You guys that have a burner just gave yourselves a 200 dollar a month raise because the heating gas prices are just beginning to get crazy.

I'm a computer/construction guy. It get's worse, but if I'm here you are about to experience a movement not seen sinse the return of the Harley.

For limbing and bucking up to 12" or so I've got a MS260 with a 16" bar ,which covers the majority of what I cut. I only use the C-5 where I need the length of that bar, as that heavy beast is murder on this little guy. It handles the 24" 3/8" with no problem...not in a big hurry, but that's ok, as I don't think those saws are about speed. Everytime I use it for a while and my back is killing me, my arms feel like rubber and I can't feel my thumb anymore from pumping the chain oiler, a MS440 or 460 doesn't seem that expensive.

Hey kkesler, this is WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY off topic, but is Thrall car still building rail cars in Winder? used to deliver there (and Cartersville) when I was trucking.

I can honestly say I do not know. Used to know some guys that worked there, but that was at least 10 years ago. Sorry. I do recall it was a place where a fella earned his wage.

Back