calculating wood by the log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psu927

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a guy that is selling me some logs and I was wondering how to figure out how many cords will be in one log? I think we agreed on 50 bucks a ton (mostly green oak) and if I remember a ton is about a cord correct? I think there are some log weight calculators on here but I won't be able to use them when I get the logs. the logs will all be under 16 feet long. Thanks

Off the top of my head, I think that a green cord of Oak will tip the scales at over 6,000 lbs. Dry, you're looking at around 4-5K. As always, someone feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

Somebody check me on this but if I'm not wrong...

A ton is going to be approximately 4/10th of a cord. A cord of green oak should weigh in around 4500 pounds so you're looking at around $125 a cord.

I have a guy that is selling me some logs and I was wondering how to figure out how many cords will be in one log? I think we agreed on 50 bucks a ton (mostly green oak) and if I remember a ton is about a cord correct? I think there are some log weight calculators on here but I won't be able to use them when I get the logs. the logs will all be under 16 feet long. Thanks

Last edited:
To calucate cords square (multi the dia X's itself) the large end of the log times the lenght of the log, times 75%, this will give you the cubic ft of the log. 128 cubic ft to the cord...

example..

2 ft dia, large end by 20 ft. lenght

2 x 2 = 4

4 x 16 = 64

64 x .75 = 48

128/48 = 2.66 of this size log to make a cord

or each log this size = 48/128= .375 cord

A cord of green oak goes between 4900 and 5500 lbs.. depending on actual oak species... $125 or so a cord, I guess it depends on where you live.. I can get mixed hardwood delivered cut split for $135 a cord..

Don't get sucked into buying wood by the ton. The guy should know how about how many cords his truck holds by volume. Around here a triaxle grapple truck can carry 6-8 cords or 12-14 with a pup trailer attached. Every load will be a bit different. Some guys take their time and can pack in the logs with very little air space. Not very practical to expect the guy to weigh each load.

$50 a ton! Last I heard, blocking logs (pallet grade) was going for $35/ton. You're getting ripped off unless finished firewood is selling for $400/cord in your area.

To calucate cords square (multi the dia X's itself) the large end of the log times the lenght of the log, times 75%, this will give you the cubic ft of the log. 128 cubic ft to the cord...

example..

2 ft dia, large end by 20 ft. lenght

2 x 2 = 4

4 x 16 = 64

64 x .75 = 48

128/48 = 2.66 of this size log to make a cord

or each log this size = 48/128= .375 cord

I think you made an error, the 16 should have been 20 correct?

thats why I am asking. lol. Don't want to get ripped off. What is a fair price per ton of unprocessed logs?

The only way to tell a fair price is for YOU to know how much cut/split/delivered firewood costs WHERE YOU LIVE. Then use the charts referenced above to determine how many tons are there to the cord. Then you will know the $$ difference and must decide if the bucking splitting is worth the difference to YOU.

as an aside, here is a link.. go down to "Log Weight Chart Complete Up To 70" (PDF)" print it out, carry it with you, and you can get a rough estimate of the weight of each log...

That's About Right

$50 a ton! Last I heard, blocking logs (pallet grade) was going for $35/ton. You're getting ripped off unless finished firewood is selling for $400/cord in your area.
Loggers get about $50 a ton at most, irrespective of species. And, if the logs are over 48" dia., the rest is waste and they don't get a dime for the excess unless they can split (or resaw) the big log down themselves, prior to delivery.

Hard to believe, but enormous trees don't make the logger a dime more unless the sawmill can rip saw over 48" dia., and not many can without a huge bandsaw.

Widowmaker is taking some short cuts calculating volume of a log.....:hmm3grin2orange:

His input data is diameter of log, 2ft, and length of log, 20ft....
From diameter the cross area (circular) is calculated...
A = d^2* PI/4 or A = radius^2*pi (radius^2=(d/2)^2=d^2/4)

Obviously he consider diameter an average diameter or a non tapered log....what ever....

In Widowmakers calculation 0.75 is either a rough estimate of PI/4 which is 0.785.....or his estimated wood volume in a stacked cord...(25% air)

His jump from 20ft to "16" in his calculation....,hmmm....16/20=0.75 too....:dizzy:

How ever...

Correct volume calculation with his input data should be....
A=2^2*PI/4=3.14sq ft
Volume=3.14*20=61.8cubft (solid wood, no air)

Which is not that far from his "non sense" way to calculate (64cubft)....LOL...."even a blind hen can find a grain".....hahaha...

a face cord is 4x8ft=32sqft....which is 1/3 full cord....

cutting this 20 ft log into 15 pieces (little less if losses in saw dust is calculated...LOL) of 16" logs will make 15*3.14sqft face...=47.1sqft (still no air counter for).....

47.1/32= just short of 1.5face cord (1.47).....still no air calculated...

with 25% air/75% wood...we will get 1.47/0.75=1.96 face cord=2/3 of a full cord....stacked with air....

Last edited:
Sorry about the confusion of the jump from 16 to 20, didn't relize I had done that even after it was pointed out to me...as for the rest of it, it all about quick and dirty estimates, not intended to be sicientific. Don't use it if you don't like it....

Works for me...ymmv...

Latest posts

Back