Can a 024 super be made awesome?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IHRed

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting a smaller saw to play with and turn into a real cutting machine. Was really looking at something like a 026/260 or similar. so just messing with these saws here this evening and thought why not turn this little 024 av super into a bad mama??? This is the one that I found buried in the ground hog pile and fixed it up. starts and runs like a top. I'm basically just teaching myself with these things so nothing really to lose. Is this a model that would respond well to performance mods like cylinder porting, muffler mod, base gasket delete? What kind of performance could I expect to get out of one and would it hold up?

thanks

Joe

It can get better performance out of it by porting it, set squish, dual port the muffler, advance timing and put a WT194 carb on it. Your gains and life expectancy depends on the guy doing the work.

Ya,,, figured I should have clarified what I meant. I guess my question would be: could it be made to compete with stock 60-70cc saws in 12-16 inch wood. I've watched some videos of a couple 260 pro saws that have been modded and they are flat ripping through logs for a saw that size. I'm aware it's not a big saw, just curious how big you could make it perform.

Joe

If your 024 says Super on top that means it's already awesome! :chainsaw:

3.1 hp in a 44cc saw ain't half bad.

I modded the muffler on mine, and it helped. The air filters on these get dirty fast. Clean or replace it and tune the carb correctly and the little 024 Super will impress with a sharp chain. Now the 024AVS super will accept the larger 026 cylinder if you wanted to go that far. I've got both the 026 and 024 super. My 024 is minty and my 026 is a beater in need of a rebuild so in the current state they're really close.

IMHO the 024 is awesome and punches above its weight.

IMG_2266.JPG

I have a 024 super, with base delete,timing advance, muffler mod and some porting it rips with a 16 inch bar! Very impressive limbing or bucking.
Pm me if your interested at all

Ya,,, figured I should have clarified what I meant. I guess my question would be: could it be made to compete with stock 60-70cc saws in 12-16 inch wood. I've watched some videos of a couple 260 pro saws that have been modded and they are flat ripping through logs for a saw that size. I'm aware it's not a big saw, just curious how big you could make it perform.

Joe
Unless you are reaching the dizzy heights of a Guru at 2 smoke tuning or want to throw way more than it's worth $ wise at it I would think NO, the trouble is it's small capacity saw CC wise so the 60/70 cc saw is always have more torque to overcome the wood trying to hold it back if you are into porting etc it could be worth a go but will to reach an amount of gain will require a lot of time & or $'s to achieve that try a muffler mod first & see the gain you get & the best bang for your buck is a RAZOR Sharp chain If you know any one who does race chains see if you could get hold of one

I'm mounting a new top end on an 024 AVS that someone gave up on. It should be an interesting venture. I doubt it will be awesome when I'm finished, but I have a feeling it will be a fine runner for cutting firewood. Nowadays "awesome" is so worn out that I don't even know what the word means.

It can get better performance out of it by porting it, set squish, dual port the muffler, advance timing and put a WT194 carb on it. Your gains and life expectancy depends on the guy doing the work.

Well Arrrowhear, I am glad to see you back. Wondered where you went. If you are interested in contacting me call or PM me. Tom

I've been thinking of getting a smaller saw to play with and turn into a real cutting machine.... why not turn this little 024 av super into a bad mama???
Joe

But OP, the 024S is awesome. Seriously, it's my favorite saw. As others have said, throw an 026 top end on, muffler mod, port, etc. etc. Would be interested to see if it can cut with a stock 60cc saw.

But OP, the 024S is awesome. Seriously, it's my favorite saw. As others have said, throw an 026 top end on, muffler mod, port, etc. etc. Would be interested to see if it can cut with a stock 60cc saw.
I hate to rain on your picnic, but I have never found a Stihl 024 that could hold a candle to a Stihl 026 PRO. That's why I own a pair of 026 PROs. On the flipside, I have a Husky 353 that weighs about the same as an 026 PRO, and it beats both of them while being made during the same era. I believe that's one of the many reasons that SawTroll became a Troll.

I hate to rain on your picnic, but I have never found a Stihl 024 that could hold a candle to a Stihl 026 PRO. That's why I own a pair of 026 PROs. On the flipside, I have a Husky 353 that weighs about the same as an 026 PRO, and it beats both of them while being made during the same era. I believe that's one of the many reasons that SawTroll became a Troll.

Agreed the 353 is the winner. Better anti vibe and air filtration. Outboard clutch makes the 353 balance better (for the SawTroll)

I think I mentioned earlier my 024 Super is real close power wise to the 026. My 353 has a few mods and it's a runner. I still like the handiness and light weight of the 024. Big fan of 40ish - 50ish cc saws.

Agreed the 353 is the winner. Better anti vibe and air filtration. Outboard clutch makes the 353 balance better (for the SawTroll)

I think I mentioned earlier my 024 Super is real close power wise to the 026. My 353 has a few mods and it's a runner. I still like the handiness and light weight of the 024. Big fan of 40ish - 50ish cc saws.
Here's one that fits that size category that I have refused to sell over the years:
Echo3900.JPG
Echo CS-3900. Always starts, always runs, seldom any problems. So, it's a keeper. Again, about the same era as the 024.

I hate to rain on your picnic, but I have never found a Stihl 024 that could hold a candle to a Stihl 026 PRO.
Fair, but the 026 is larger, if only slightly. I like the torquey 024S; it's a little saw that works like a bigger saw. Of course I don't own a 026, so I may be somewhat limited in my perspective.

I will have to look for one of these 353s, they sound great.

Fair, but the 026 is larger, if only slightly. I like the torquey 024S; it's a little saw that works like a bigger saw. Of course I don't own a 026, so I may be somewhat limited in my perspective.

I will have to look for one of these 353s, they sound great.
I just loaded up my truck with my 353 and also included my Makita 520i. I usually toss a coin to see which one to use for typical firewood cutting. Two really nice saws, and of course, no longer made. Added together, I think I bought them both in good used condition for less than $400.

Latest posts

Back