Can a 024 super be made awesome?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What 60 cc are we talking about? My 028 before the muffler mod seemed to hang with my bb 64cc 290.. I really feel that each older stihl saw was designed for its own purpose. I'd take an 024 super for a good price.

You might make the 024 to run well but it'll never compare to a 60-70cc saw.

Can any 50cc saw hang with a 60cc saw? Assuming the 50cc is modded and the 60cc is stock. Serious question for those wiser and more experienced than I.

(If one takes an 024S and puts an 026 top end on it, can it cut with a bigger saw? But it's no longer an 024S at that point, is it?)

My first saw was an 024 super ,ran a 28 inch bar and took the rakers way down ,boy did it throw big chips .

What 60 cc are we talking about? My 028 before the muffler mod seemed to hang with my bb 64cc 290.. I really feel that each older stihl saw was designed for its own purpose. I'd take an 024 super for a good price.
I've got one I'm gonna put on the market but it hasn't completed its testing phase yet. I have 2 026 saws so will sell the 024 AVS and the 028S that I took in trade. Don't plan to keep either. Both are good models though.

Cutting styrofoam? Balsa wood?
Alder if i remember right ,it was at least 25 years ago ,wood was not that big ,someone told me to grind the rakers to cut fast before i knew better so i tried it ,it did ,was grabby as you can imagine ,but it did throw the chips fast once i got it spinning .That was a good little saw ,bought it new .

Does anyone know what the worn out word, "awesome" really means? There is a local Chevy TV ad that shows a woman wearing high heals and tight jeans who stands on the rear truck bumper, looks down inside the empty truck bed and says with a nasal voice, "That's awesome."

I doubt we could convert a vintage Stihl 024 chain saw into an empty pickup truck bed.

My father and I used an MS 250 and an 031 for 20 years of firewood cutting.

I think an 024....super at that, will be just fine for that kind of work.

And with an 026 top end it can even be made to cut with....an 026. Don’t kid yourself into thinking you can have your cake and eat it too. Extra power costs more cc, more money, and more weight. Pick what combination works best for you.

I have an MS261 OE and I have an 024 AVS modded. Guess which one wins in a side by side comparison. Neither. The 024 is slightly lighter. Pretty nice to run. So is the 261.

Some 024s only had one bar stud. I guess they could be converted to 2 easy enough.

Correct me if im wrong but isn't a 024super really just a 026 with a different name. Im under the impression that the super and the 026 use the same bore size with a different fin placement and top cover.

Seems like a cool saw but if you bought an 024 super y not just get an 026 instead? I'm all for the supers and magnums of saw models but it doesn't seem like it gets you much in this case. Like I said I'd take one if it were real cheap or free and mess around with it.

Seems like a cool saw but if you bought an 024 super y not just get an 026 instead? I'm all for the supers and magnums of saw models but it doesn't seem like it gets you much in this case. Like I said I'd take one if it were real cheap or free and mess around with it.
I might be able to sell a rebuilt Stihl 024 AVS next month for $140. Somebody on TV seeing a Chevy for sale might say, "That's awesome."

I didn't buy the saw. i found it buried in a ground hog mound in the back of a shed out at the farm. My brother had bought it some 20 years ago as "not running" on a farm auction for like $10. Couldn't get it running so put it in the back of the shed where the groundhogs buried it. It's been there ever since until I happened to just see the handle sticking above the dirt last winter. I've got lots of elbow grease and about $30 invested in it and runs like a top now. Mostly use my 360 PRO for firewood and just thought I would play around with this one since I have nearly nothing in it. Mostly just using it as a way to teach myself how to fix up these saws.

Joe

I didn't buy the saw. i found it buried in a ground hog mound in the back of a shed out at the farm. My brother had bought it some 20 years ago as "not running" on a farm auction for like $10. Couldn't get it running so put it in the back of the shed where the groundhogs buried it. It's been there ever since until I happened to just see the handle sticking above the dirt last winter. I've got lots of elbow grease and about $30 invested in it and runs like a top now. Mostly use my 360 PRO for firewood and just thought I would play around with this one since I have nearly nothing in it. Mostly just using it as a way to teach myself how to fix up these saws.

Joe
If true, that is an accomplishment. It reminds me of the 290 I just worked on. The owner said, "It's yours. I'm done with it." This saw looked like it was stored in a hog house. I found a mud dobber nest and eggs laid next to the flywheel. The entire outside of the saw was somewhere between brown and black with grime everywhere.

The saw starts and runs fine today. It's mine now but I have an 028 Wood Boss, an o26 PRO, and a pair of Huskies that I like better.

Then in your case yes it's an awesome saw and worth making more awesome. My point was if you were buying an 024 super for a saw you may want to just buy an 026. I'm not currently looking for a saw. I'm still paying for this 051 I had to have. 140 is a good price I looked at eBay about an hour ago and they were in the 300 dollar range. Crazy.

This is the saw after I dug it out of the dirt and somewhat knocked all the loose dirt off it. Second pic is same saw after I got it cleaned up and running good. Didn't have a filter cover on it when I found it in the shed but I finally found a used oem cover on ebay and have it on there now.

Joe

IMG_1263.JPG IMG_1304.JPG

Latest posts

Back