Can anyone give pictures of holding Stihl MS880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichelleB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Please! I want to buy one for my husband whos always complaining he needs a bigger saw. I can't tell on line on the site and I cant find anything in google, just the saw by itself.

Thanks!

Michelle

I think Gypo Logger has some pics of himself holding an 088. Your husband might not care for them though.

Don't have a picture with someone holding the saw. Maybe this will help.

084crank500002.jpg

084crank500001.jpg

084crank500003.jpg

My God,
Is that a 5' by 7' area rug? That thing is as big as that welder and motorcycle.

Looking at the date, either your camera needs reset or I think there maybe one more saw at the GTG.

Fred

Maybe a 12 ounce beverage can in the picture would serve as a good frame of reference. My guess is the 12 oz can would be near the top of the bumper spike or about at the level of the throttle trigger.

Michelle, you're a good wife, I wish that my wife would give me an MS880. I should have thought of that when I married her.

Mr. said:
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Beat me to it.

Now as for Michelle. Let's ask some questions first. Did your husband say he needs a bigger saw, or the biggest saw? It's all relative. If he's cutting with a Stihl 026 now, then a biger saw would be a Stihl 440 Mag. If he's got a 660 Mag, and wants a bigger saw, then yeah he'd need an 880. Most here would probably agree that the 880 is almost a specialized saw nowadays. It's so big it'll only get used milling or on the largest timber left standing. And besides, it takes a different bar mount than does most of the rest of the Stihl line, so if he's already got a Stihl, the bars likely wouldn't interchange, which is a nice option to have.

I would guess he doesn't need a saw that large nor that expensive, but I could be wrong. Have you piced them yet?

What does he normally cut? Because if the answer is "firewood" the 880 is more than he needs.

Jeff

t_andersen said:
Michelle, you're a good wife, I wish that my wife would give me an MS880. I should have thought of that when I married her.

good point there ,, got check that out with my girlfriend BEFORE i ask her to be my wife ,,,,,,

Thanks all for the pics!

Hubby has mentioned MANY times before he really really wants their biggest one. I just took a look a his others in the garage, he has a little one with a number T200, and a big one MS460, and an old one that I don't think works any more but its green.

Steve thanks for the pic! It looks about the same as his big one.

Michelle the next one up from the MS460 is the MS660 and its about as big as most loggers use on a regular basis. All of them look "similar" but, there is a lot of difference 'under the hood' of these beasts. I think before I plunked down the money, I'd surprise him with an envelope, that had a hand written note inside that said "Good for one big chainsaw, you name it" Guarantee you he will not be disappointed and you will not be shelling out mega bucks for a saw that he does not really want or can't use. My two cents. Tom:) :)

MichelleB said:
Thanks all for the pics!

Hubby has mentioned MANY times before he really really wants their biggest one. I just took a look a his others in the garage, he has a little one with a number T200, and a big one MS460, and an old one that I don't think works any more but its green.

Steve thanks for the pic! It looks about the same as his big one.

Hey, it's about twice the size of his " big one" - the 460!

Buy him what he wants! Then take out a big disability insurance :laugh: sorry.... but seriously, if he owns 460, then he knows all about 660's and 880's... and, it he doesn't want it, take it back to the Stihl dealer for a full refund or exchange - Stihl has a 7 days satisfaction guarantee...

I do like West Tex's idea...

oh, btw, did he tell you how much they cost?

I like the envelope idea too. What does he normally cut? Beyond milling, or some hard core logging, the 880 is hard to justify size and pice-wise ($1400 here) . Now if he said he wants their biggest one, just to say he's got the biggest one, well then he won't be happy until he's got the biggest one. But if he's going to be using it, I'd still go with the 660, as it'll share bars with his 460, and it'll handle a 36"+ bar.

Is this big enough? If not, well then I guess it's 880 time!

Jeff

Latest posts

Back