Can anyone give pictures of holding Stihl MS880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
West Texas said:
Dave, that's a nice looking saw you have been working on. I know you have Stihl shop experience, and my question is "What kind of paint should you use to repaint the Chain guard and flywheel cover?" I notice that its not a pure white. Also I think that normal spray can paint would just wipe off unless there was some surface preparation. Do you use a paint stripper, then a prep paint, and then a final gloss paint? Or have you ever undertaken this task at all? Tom

If you're talking about the 088, it's Andy not Dave. The color is Stihl gray, and you just get it from your Stihl dealer. It's a great paint - very fast dry polyurethane, not the soft junk usually sold. I wash all my parts in 2 or 4:1 DILUTED Purple Cleaner to remove every trace of dirt/grease, then wash in hot water. A light wipe with 600 grit is all that's required on the bare or scratched parts, or 0000 steel wool. Ordinary paint stripper doesn't work on the factory finish - it's an epoxy "varnish". If you want a "perfect" job, then bead blast the parts before painting. I find that if you heat the parts up a little, then put very light coats on, you'll get a better finish. After painting and touch dry (just a few minutes) bake them at 225 for 30-40 minutes in a convection oven (I had to get my own as the wife came home early one day..). Heat lamps in a big box work fine also. Let it rest for 24 hours before assembly. If you don't bake it, it's easy to damage for weeks.

Thanks Andy, I'm guilty of glancing at the bottom of your signature and reading David, Rich and several others include their name there, so I goofed. Sorry.

But thanks for the answer. I almost think this subject would make a good thread that would be of interest to some others too. I am a 'freebie fixer upper' for my friends chansaws; and, I like for them to look good as well as run good.

I can afford a light bulb box now, will keep my eye out for a microwave oven, could use it to warm up my coffee too. ;)

Lakeside53 said:
Hey, you're supposed to be my buddy and not rat me out. Remember, I have those old emails of yours calling all women "EVIL", but I won't use them unless I have too:D Just trying to get the wife some competition, oh wait, it's the same wallet..;)

HAHAHA!!! :laugh:

But they are evil! :angry2:

West Texas said:
I can afford a light bulb box now, will keep my eye out for a microwave oven, could use it to warm up my coffee too. ;)

You're joking right? Good lord man, don't put metal in a microwave oven! Let's say that metal in a microwave wasn't bad thing. Even then it likely wouldn't work. Microwaves heat food by accelerating the water molecules in the food, or coffee or whatever. Not much water to accelerate in chainsaw parts. ;)

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
You're joking right? Good lord man, don't put metal in a microwave oven! Let's say that metal in a microwave wasn't bad thing. Even then it likely wouldn't work. Microwaves heat food by accelerating the water molecules in the food, or coffee or whatever. Not much water to accelerate in chainsaw parts. ;)

Jeff

JEFF'S 100% correct! NO microwave please.... and the reason for a convection rather than a std radiant oven, is that the convection air is set to the temperature you want and you don't have to worry about the radiant energy overheating the target.

I use a GE Monogram (zillion $$) microwave / convection oven. The Microwave magnetron was toast and it blew fuses immediately the microwave came on, way too expensive to fix, so my neighbors threw it out. I reached inside, disconnected the magnetron power supply and replaced the fuse. The convection portion works perfectly, and I now have digital heat control, timers etc etc for my workshop. I use it for heating casings to insert bearings, pain baking and yes, to warm up the coffee!

Gypo Logger said:
Here's a much more impressive picture I took in 2001 at Minden Ontario.
It's Daniel Boulangier of Quebec with her 084.
John
DannyBoulangiercopy.jpg

ya got to love those canadian women, I dated a canadian girl before I met my wife. Things didn't work out between us because well, lets just say she wasn't a hockey player.

Lucky

AKA Buck

skwerl said:
If you have to ask, it's too big for your needs.
Bigger is better when it comes to HP. I am not a stihl guy and don't know the numbers, but how many cc/HP is the 088? how about the 084? My uncle has an 066 that I can get cheap. How about that one?
(cc and HP). How does a 372 compare to either the 088 or 066, or better yet, what comparable models in husky corespond with the bigger stihls?

Steve

084/088 are both 121cc's, about 8.5 hp, 21lbs powerhead only.

066/660 are 92cc's, 7hp current rating, 16.5lb powerhead only.

A 372 is 72cc's, 5.4 or 5.5 hp, about 14 lbs powerhead only.

An 084/088 equates to a 3120 Husky, an 066/660 to a 394/395 Husky, an 044/440 Stihl equates to a 372.

The numbers might not be exact, but close, and I'm sure SawTroll or someone will nitpick with the exact numbers

TimberPig said:
084/088 are both 121cc's, about 8.5 hp, 21lbs powerhead only.

066/660 are 92cc's, 7hp current rating, 16.5lb powerhead only.

A 372 is 72cc's, 5.4 or 5.5 hp, about 14 lbs powerhead only.

An 084/088 equates to a 3120 Husky, an 066/660 to a 394/395 Husky, an 044/440 Stihl equates to a 372.

The numbers might not be exact, but close, and I'm sure SawTroll or someone will nitpick with the exact numbers

Thanks, that is what i was loking for. I don't care if something is off .1 HP :laugh: I didn't realize the 066 was that big, wonder why he only has a 20" bar on it...no wonder I thought it was bad

hey poundcake skewrl is right!

for most folks a MS 460 or husky 372 will take down just about anything you will come across at least in the midwest.

those west coast folks may tell ya different.

046 said:
hey poundcake skewrl is right!

for most folks a MS 460 or husky 372 will take down just about anything you will come across at least in the midwest.

those west coast folks may tell ya different.

I hear ya, the 372 is bad enough around here. there isn't much that big....occasionally, but not that often.

Thank you all for a wonderful topic (and for the offers of marriage:), I guess I should not be surprised by this, being on a chain saw site)

I'm going to sit down and work out if I can get one, they want $1620 for the saw and a 36" long bar. (Is this the bar I should get?) How many chains should I get to start with? The bar on his current biggest one is about 24 inches long.

Thanks to everyone here!

Michelle

Awwwwwwwwwwww go ahead and get it with the 47 inch bar and be done with it. That way he can't say I need a bigger saw anymore cause that's as big as ya can get. 47 inch bar verses the 36 inch is only about 50.00 more....

MichelleB said:
Thank you all for a wonderful topic (and for the offers of marriage:), I guess I should not be surprised by this, being on a chain saw site)

I'm going to sit down and work out if I can get one, they want $1620 for the saw and a 36" long bar. (Is this the bar I should get?) How many chains should I get to start with? The bar on his current biggest one is about 24 inches long.

Thanks to everyone here!

Michelle

If you'll buy me saws, my offer still stands. Don't mind that Lakeside guy...:laugh:

What does your husband regularly cut? A 36" bar is too much for firewood for example. Is he a professional? Does he fall timber? Does he mill? These answers will determine how long of a bar you'll need. Of course, you're getting the man an 880, so you could run an 84" bar if he wanted to. :dizzy:

Jeff

Latest posts

Back