Can I combine the wood hauler & car into 1 vehicle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wvlogger

wvlogger

Rock trucker
I think the epa ratings were a bit optimistic. Is the s10 a 4x4? I get low 20's highway driving in my 06 ranger 4x4. Don't think you'll ever get much for mileage out of a 4x4 truck unless they start importing the 4 banger diesels in a small truck.

i would sell my bigger rigs in a haert beat for one of them

banshee67

banshee67

Poulan Wild Thang
i average about 28mpg on the highway in my 5k.lb f150 4x4.. thats on super unleaded
when i put regular in, it drops to about 27mpg
in city driving, and hilly backroads, i get about 22mpg, its no chevy , but it works.

now in summertime, i can manage about 30mpg highway on super as long as i shut the engine off going down hills and dont ever bring the revs above 600rpm

everyone else is bs'ing, figured id join in

howellhandmade

howellhandmade

Addicted to ArboristSite
i have a 2003, 2x4, 5 speed, 3.0 liter Ford ranger that will consistently pull down 22-23mpg on the highway and with my 4x8 utility trailer haul (carefully) about a cord of wood. i can fit my family of 5 in there also with the two rear jump seats and 3 across the front. i am not a big fan of the jump seats for safety reasons and don't make a habit of it but i can if the wife's car is away or something.

i wish they came in 4 door configurations but i guess then it would be to close to a sport track, trouble with them is they cannot be had in stick shift (that i know of) so don't get the same mileage and have that TINY bed. my boss does have a 4 door Chevy S10 that i would think could be equivalent if you are not brand specific.

i have a pic of my truck loaded up will have to see if i can find it, edit found it, you can see my 94 F350 diesel in the background, that is my real wood gopher, and i only paid about $4,500 for my ranger.

Same here, I've got about $2500 in my Ranger 2WD, including about 1K in repairs. I bought it for a wood hauler but it gets 20mpg at worst, have gotten close to 30 on the highway a couple of times, so I drive it all the time. It doesn't have the same capacity as a full size pickup, but I've made it work OK. That said, I wouldn't sell a good-running full size pickup, and I don't think combining the car/truck functions is a great idea unless you have to. If both your vehicles blew up and you couldn't afford to replace them both, fair enough. But wood duty will always be rough on a passenger vehicle.

homelitejim

homelitejim

Full of Scrap
I love my 2000 chevy tahoe z71, 300 horse 5.7 v8, push button all wheel drive with 4 hi and low, leather interior with heated seats for winter, ac for summer, tow package for pulling 18' trailer. Drives as soothe as a caddy. You can pick used tahoe's up for cheap but expect too pay for all this comfort at the gas station, I get about 17 on the highway if I'm being good, gets around 12 in town.

branchbuzzer

branchbuzzer

Undiagnosed
I think the epa ratings were a bit optimistic. Is the s10 a 4x4? I get low 20's highway driving in my 06 ranger 4x4. Don't think you'll ever get much for mileage out of a 4x4 truck unless they start importing the 4 banger diesels in a small truck.

It's 2WD. Rated at 92 HP. 0-60 in 4.2 weeks. It does have the TN muffler mod however.

cnice_37

cnice_37

ArboristSite Guru
Forgot the plow

As I unbury myself and about a half dozen neighbors - I also realize that the plow on the old girl comes in pretty handy. Which means I'd be looking at full size, crew cab pickups, and buying another plow $ $ $ $ $.

I'm staying put.

The wood in the back works as perfect ballast too. Have a good excuse to not unload until the next trip.

Highbeam

Highbeam

ArboristSite Guru
My 2000 F350 has the 7.3 diesel, 4x4, auto, high teens to 20 highway mpg but 15 in town, a huge crew cab and can haul a cord of wood with the sideboards on. Even the short bed is 7 feet long. Cost me 10900$ with 127000 miles two years ago. I daily drive it 8 miles each way which really is a bit short for a diesel.

I could not justify buying a commuter with my 16 mile daily commute. The cost of insurance, purchase, tabs, upkeep, etc. does NOT pay for the additional mpg. Not even close. I worry people don't do the math and assume that an additional small commuter car is a money saver.

I do think that you can have a single vehicle meet your criteria. Your arbitrary 20mpg is a touch too high for most trucks, lower that to 18 and you can buy a modern 1500 series chevy pickup and commute in comfort or a diesel truck and really haul a lot with a touch less comfort. That 2 mpg (20-18) won't amount to anything when you do the math.

Latest posts