Can I combine the wood hauler & car into 1 vehicle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the epa ratings were a bit optimistic. Is the s10 a 4x4? I get low 20's highway driving in my 06 ranger 4x4. Don't think you'll ever get much for mileage out of a 4x4 truck unless they start importing the 4 banger diesels in a small truck.

i would sell my bigger rigs in a haert beat for one of them

i average about 28mpg on the highway in my 5k.lb f150 4x4.. thats on super unleaded
when i put regular in, it drops to about 27mpg
in city driving, and hilly backroads, i get about 22mpg, its no chevy , but it works.

now in summertime, i can manage about 30mpg highway on super as long as i shut the engine off going down hills and dont ever bring the revs above 600rpm

everyone else is bs'ing, figured id join in

Sounds like you just want a new rig ;)

I personally would rather drive my truck all the time and I do, but I don't drive
70 miles to work every day.

Your Honda is hard to beat as a commuter and the F250 is hard to beat as a
wood hauler. Save your money :)

:agree2::agree2:

i have a 2003, 2x4, 5 speed, 3.0 liter Ford ranger that will consistently pull down 22-23mpg on the highway and with my 4x8 utility trailer haul (carefully) about a cord of wood. i can fit my family of 5 in there also with the two rear jump seats and 3 across the front. i am not a big fan of the jump seats for safety reasons and don't make a habit of it but i can if the wife's car is away or something.

i wish they came in 4 door configurations but i guess then it would be to close to a sport track, trouble with them is they cannot be had in stick shift (that i know of) so don't get the same mileage and have that TINY bed. my boss does have a 4 door Chevy S10 that i would think could be equivalent if you are not brand specific.

i have a pic of my truck loaded up will have to see if i can find it, edit found it, you can see my 94 F350 diesel in the background, that is my real wood gopher, and i only paid about $4,500 for my ranger.

Same here, I've got about $2500 in my Ranger 2WD, including about 1K in repairs. I bought it for a wood hauler but it gets 20mpg at worst, have gotten close to 30 on the highway a couple of times, so I drive it all the time. It doesn't have the same capacity as a full size pickup, but I've made it work OK. That said, I wouldn't sell a good-running full size pickup, and I don't think combining the car/truck functions is a great idea unless you have to. If both your vehicles blew up and you couldn't afford to replace them both, fair enough. But wood duty will always be rough on a passenger vehicle.

I love my 2000 chevy tahoe z71, 300 horse 5.7 v8, push button all wheel drive with 4 hi and low, leather interior with heated seats for winter, ac for summer, tow package for pulling 18' trailer. Drives as soothe as a caddy. You can pick used tahoe's up for cheap but expect too pay for all this comfort at the gas station, I get about 17 on the highway if I'm being good, gets around 12 in town.

I think the epa ratings were a bit optimistic. Is the s10 a 4x4? I get low 20's highway driving in my 06 ranger 4x4. Don't think you'll ever get much for mileage out of a 4x4 truck unless they start importing the 4 banger diesels in a small truck.

It's 2WD. Rated at 92 HP. 0-60 in 4.2 weeks. It does have the TN muffler mod however.

Forgot the plow

As I unbury myself and about a half dozen neighbors - I also realize that the plow on the old girl comes in pretty handy. Which means I'd be looking at full size, crew cab pickups, and buying another plow $ $ $ $ $.

I'm staying put.

The wood in the back works as perfect ballast too. Have a good excuse to not unload until the next trip.

My 2000 F350 has the 7.3 diesel, 4x4, auto, high teens to 20 highway mpg but 15 in town, a huge crew cab and can haul a cord of wood with the sideboards on. Even the short bed is 7 feet long. Cost me 10900$ with 127000 miles two years ago. I daily drive it 8 miles each way which really is a bit short for a diesel.

I could not justify buying a commuter with my 16 mile daily commute. The cost of insurance, purchase, tabs, upkeep, etc. does NOT pay for the additional mpg. Not even close. I worry people don't do the math and assume that an additional small commuter car is a money saver.

I do think that you can have a single vehicle meet your criteria. Your arbitrary 20mpg is a touch too high for most trucks, lower that to 18 and you can buy a modern 1500 series chevy pickup and commute in comfort or a diesel truck and really haul a lot with a touch less comfort. That 2 mpg (20-18) won't amount to anything when you do the math.

Back