can I haul 3 cords

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have these arguments on the Dmax forums all the time. There's always a bunch of guys saying they've pulled this weight and that weight and never had a problem and poo poo those of us who advise caution.

If you're going to be hauling a 12K load, you'll need a trailer rated for at least 16K probably-since the trailer itself will at least be 4K (my 14K gross 20+5 flatbed comes in at ~4100). But, good luck finding a 16K rated trailer. You'll probably have to use a 20K rated trailer, in which case you'll be rated for more than 26,001 lbs which by most translations means you'll need a CDL. These rules and regs are a little ambiguous, though, so check with your local authorities. The OHP told me I don't need a CDL for hauling over 26K, but the federal regs say I do (even for personal use) so somewhere in there somebody's not giving the whole story.

At any rate, your trucks will pull it, but that is an awful lot of weight back there on a single rear wheel. I wouldn't even attempt it without a dually-particularly over that distance. A few miles down the road might be okay but 90 is a long ways.

Caution is a good thing (taken in moderation), someone could slam on the brakes in front of you. Of course someone could run off the road and hit your mail box while you are opening it, dosen't stop you from checking the mail does it.
If your trailer is a bumper hitch it would make me hesitate to pulll that much weight for that distance. But if the trailer is a gooseneck, I'd say go for it.
I live in the mountains at 9000' so steep hills are the norm. I jump a 12,000 lb skidder on my 14000 gvwr 24' gooseneck that weighs 4800 lbs all the time. I pulled it with a F-250 untill I got my Dodge 3500. When I bought it I pulled it 350 miles with 1 blow out, due to debris on the road.
Trailer brakes are very important, but even more important is common sence. Know your vehicle, and it's stopping capabilities, and drive accordingly.
And yes, plan to avoid every stupid move of every idiot on the road as well as your stops.

Andy

Thanks for all of the reply's. Yes trailer brakes are more than a must, I don't have to haul it all at once its just if I can its that much less fuel and that means more $$ for me. Now if I can get some time off work I will haul the wood and report back when ever that may be. Thanks Nick............

That weight won't be a problem at all for the engine itself.
The problem will likely be with your trailer. If you have a nice strong trailer, go for it, and distribute the weight and just drive slow on the way home.

Latest posts

Back