can i make beams with just a mini mill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

066blaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is it possible to make a beam with just a mini mill and have it turn out straight and square? i am a first time user. also can i use regular chain? it dont have to be perfect but the best possible.. i experimented today with regular chain and it turned out looking like wash board.

Yes you can make beams with just a mini mill that are straight and square.
Yes you can use regular cross cut chain for milling with fine results.

Straight is based on how well you chose your guide board and attach the rail sections to it.
Square is based on how well you set up your guide board to the log, the first cut is the most critical and should take the longest to set up. If the first cut has a twist it will carry out to the next three cuts.
For the first cut I would recommend cutting square notches in the log (cross cut way) and attaching small chunks of 2x4 to the log to support the guide board. Space the notches 3' or so appart, use a string and a level to set them all up. Set the ones at the ends of the log up first (make sure they are square and level to the intended cut) and run a string between the two, set all the other support 2x4s even with the string and make sure they are level. I usually use ledger locks to attach the guide board to the log, 4" ones seem to be fine. Becareful in oak though because sometimes they break off after multiple uses, so I use soap (bar soap) to lube the screw.

Best of luck

I made some pretty nice 4-6 ' s and 4x4 today. Still having a wash board look to them I'm just using regular husqvarna chain out of the box any suggestions? They are just for outdoor use anyway. It's red pine cut last summer, still wet. It cut fast tho. Im working with about 12 inch diameter logs

The chisel chain will give that look. Semi chisel or chisel filed to 5° top plate does better. I did have good luck with square filed semi skip also.

Yea I would try filing it to 5 dergree top plate angle. That's what I mill with, I used a grinder, but you can do it with a file. It came out pretty nice.

Speaking of milling...I found someone has been milling on the county reservation land that's behind where I live...I didn't know there was anyone around here that CSM's

I have a grinder , just don't want to wreck my new chain for regular cutting. The posts are gonna be used for a trellis for Apple trees.20140222_130353.jpg

I use twelve footers. I normally use treated . I wonder how long these will last untreated. I cement them in.

I managed to do that with ripping chain, :eek: that's blue spruce. I was getting lazy let the chain get too loose, too dull and was forcing the saw thru faster than I should have. It was the end of the day and I wanted to finish.
So I guess my suggestions are to make sure your chains tensioned right, the cutters are sharp for what ever grind you choose and let the chain self feed more.
Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in and shed some more light on the problem.
Best of luck.

These were all cut with different chains. The smoothest is semi skip square filed. The boards in the top picture was full comp round filed. The one with the 390 in it was semi chisel.

IMG_20140303_165358186.jpg IMG_20140307_145350111.jpg IMG_20140314_190926411.jpg

I use twelve footers. I normally use treated . I wonder how long these will last untreated. I cement them in.

If you stuck them in the ground around here, they wouldn't last long at all... Lots of work, little reward!

If I put it in the ground, it's going to be treated, as I don't want to have to do all that work again...

SR

Latest posts

Back