Can i use a 365 piston in my Rancher 61?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunshineband

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently discovered this site and am spending so much time that I am on the verge of neglecting my family. I love chainsaws and cutting wood and this site has been like a narcotic.

I have a question: can I use a 365 piston and ring set in my Rancher 61?

Here's the situation. My Rancher 61 has a scored piston on the exhaust side. Perhaps it ran lean or it scored because I ran the tank empty (which I didn't realize I was supposed to do until I spent some time on this site) or because something got in the cylinder through the air filter, or just because it is about 20+ years old. Regardless, it is scored. It was a great saw when it ran. A little heavy, but it has a good bar and a new chain and it would tear through the cuts. I'd like to repair it and keep it if I can do so cheaply.

I've noticed that 365 piston and ring sets are about $50 less than Rancher 61 piston and ring sets (I don't know why this would be the case, but it is). The cylinder bore on the Rancher 61 is 48 mm, and the cylinder bore and the 365 is 48 mm. Just the stroke is different, 34 mm for the Rancher 61 and 36 mm for the 365. Could I mill down the 365 piston (I have a friend that works in a machine shop) and use it in a Rancher 61? I suppose I am missing something really obvious.

It's not like I don't have running saws already: Poulan 3700 w/18" bar (OK, but heavy for the power it puts out); Stihl 031 w/16" bar (a great saw but cold natured and old); Husqvarna 55 w/20" bar (nice saw, but not as powerful as the Husky 61). The 61 is definitely a favorite though. And I just like to have multiple running and working saws so I can use one until it runs low or the chain gets dull and switch over to another one that is fueled and has a sharp chain. But since the 61 is really old it is not worth putting a lot of cash into. Thanks for the helpful advice.

The 61 piston has "open side" and the 365 piston skirt is fully closed.Also i dont know,but the piston pin hole could be at a different height.You can get aftermarket piston for your 61,they are less expensive and pretty good.If you got access to a 266,272,630 cyl and piston ,thats a bolt on for your 61 and you get more power in the bargain.If you use those diff cyl tho,you will need the plastic spacer between your carb and cyl,its diff from your 61.Im surprised at the price difference.

I support the conversion to a larger bore, as the 61 Rancher is way down on power compared to other options.
Before you deside, take a look at the IPLs at Huskys website - you may also need a larger carb and maybe other parts to take full advantage of the bigger bore cylinders. I really don't know.

The 61 rancher was the "junior partner" in a large family of saws, consisting of the Husky 162, 61, 61 Rancher, 66, 266, 266xp, 268xp, 272xp and 268 - and all the different versions of the Jonsered 630, 670 and 625.

The most powerful versions are the 272xp, 670 Super/Champ and the 268xp - in that order.

The non-rancher 61 and the non-xp 268 are still current models in parts of the world.

There is an aftermarket piston and jug kit for the 61 out there for approx $100, somewhere, don't have the link, anybody have it?

Back