can I use pipe tape and thread sealant on hydraulic fittings?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good news, I got the new parts on the Huskee 22 ton log splitter.
I've been using it today no leaks. Works like new.
I put a new hydraulic oil filter on and new fluid.
Strange thing. The filter appears to be on the Return side of the control valve.
It looks like fluid feeds the pump DIRECTLY from the Resivor.
That would mean, any dirty fluid drawn from the resivor would flow through the system, pump, valve and cylinder before hitting the filter.
Also, the fill cap to the resivior has NO filter. Water, dirt, wood chips anything can dirty the fluid. Using two, 1 1/4 90 degree elbows I created a bent tube and put a sock over that. The wrench sizes we're 22 and 25 mm.

Yes, filter is on the return. Typical. Some have a coarse screen on the inlet/supply, at or in the tank. Any dirt that goes past there shouldn't make it back into the tank.

My filler cap has a dipstick fastened thru it & held with a nut on top. I keep half an empty plastic bottle on that to keep wet out. I changed my oil last winter because it had a lot of water in it. Pretty sure that's why.

you do not want a suction filter. it would be huge.
suction strainers are are perpetual debate in the fluid power industry. I have used them a lot but I oversize by 3 to 4 times what the manufacturer rates. the danger of cavitation to a pump is really greater than the amount of stuff that the suction strainer helps with. industrial equipment Is usually filled by pumping oil into a quick coupler and through the return filter pump

There should be a crude metal basket in the fill port to catch really large pieces of wood and there should be a filter breather on the tank to keep out airborne dust every time the cylinder cycles in an out

Log splitters and gear pumps are pretty crude and can tolerate more abuse either garbage or cavitation but the best insurance is a good operator

you do not want a suction filter. it would be huge.
suction strainers are are perpetual debate in the fluid power industry. I have used them a lot but I oversize by 3 to 4 times what the manufacturer rates. the danger of cavitation to a pump is really greater than the amount of stuff that the suction strainer helps with. industrial equipment Is usually filled by pumping oil into a quick coupler and through the return filter pump

There should be a crude metal basket in the fill port to catch really large pieces of wood and there should be a filter breather on the tank to keep out airborne dust every time the cylinder cycles in an out

Log splitters and gear pumps are pretty crude and can tolerate more abuse either garbage or cavitation but the best insurance is a good operator
There was some fluid in the Resivor. I couldn't find a drain valve to remove it but it looks clean so I added half a gallon. I run the crap out of it yesterday. The cylinder got pretty warm. I'm wondering if maybe I over heated it is why the seal blew. BTW, the new cylinder cost 219 on Amazon and free shipping. I'm told free until Christmas. Now was the perfect time to buy. BTW, there is no strainer in the fill on this one. The filter is the bigger one. Fortunately, I had a big filter tool
Have a great day.

Back