can I use pipe tape and thread sealant on hydraulic fittings?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well here is what I found after hours of searching. I'm not going to look for the site don't have time. Maybe I misinterpreted who made what but somewhere I read this.
Wix filters:
Speedco 51249 sold as Wix.
Huskee 51553 Sold as Wix.
Husee 33 micron
Speedco 10 micron.
My Stump Grinder came with an oil filter that has Speeedco 390601AO written on it
Info states 10 micron.
The Wix (Speedco) states 10 micron. Exactly the same and Wix may have made it or Jesus, all I know is what it said. In the meantime somewhere, sometime someone put that 10 micron filter on my Huskee. I bought it slightly used so there is no telling but my gut feeling is go back with what came off. The Specks of the Speedco (Wix ) 51248 match exactly. Could be that the previous owner put the Speedco on. The Wix that states Huskee 51553 has 33 micron. Maybe the 10 micron created the leak and i may be messing up going back with Speedco - Wix 51249. Thanks.

About Wix, http://www.wixfilters.com/AboutUs.aspx?ct=auhi

Very good reading. I finally took time to review my notes AND YES, it looks as if I did read something backwards.
I think what happened is Wix Built BOTH filters .
One to replace the 10 micron filter sold as Speedco 390601AO. The replacement is Wix 51249. And as someone stated, it's probably NOT made by Speedco For Wix but is made by Wix and meets the same specs as the Speedco. The Huskee (IF they make any filters) 33 micron can be replaced by a Wix 51553. Hopefully, I've gotten that correct. I pride myself on being honest and will not defend an incorrect position. To defend an incorrect statement when you believe that you may be wrong may not be an actual lie but they look familiar enough to be twin brothers. I'd prefer to be proved wrong and be honest enough to make corrections than to lie to try to look correct. Thanks.

Manufacturers like to rebrand parts so the user has to go thru them to purchase replacements. My Ventrac has a odd ball air filter whose numbers wouldnt cross reference with anything. The dealer charged me $80 for a replacement. Later I was at the local Outdoor power store and happen to see a filter on the shelf that looked very much like the one off my Ventrac. It fit a Snapper mower. Cost $12 and had a part number that interchanged with a Wix. Needless to say, I never bought another filter from the dealer.

Manufacturers like to rebrand parts so the user has to go thru them to purchase replacements. My Ventrac has a odd ball air filter whose numbers wouldnt cross reference with anything. The dealer charged me $80 for a replacement. Later I was at the local Outdoor power store and happen to see a filter on the shelf that looked very much like the one off my Ventrac. It fit a Snapper mower. Cost $12 and had a part number that interchanged with a Wix. Needless to say, I never bought another filter from the dealer.
Today I tried to remove the Selector valve off the Cylinder of my Huskee 22 ton Splitter. There is a fitting that looks bronze going directly into the cylinder between the valve body.
The only wrench that comes close to fitting is a 22 metric. The sae 7/8 is a bit sloppy and the 22 metric has very little slop but isn't as tight as I fit as needed because I'm going to have to use a cheater due to the amount of force needed.
I don't have a 21 metric to test.
My grandson said he thinks the Huskee is American and suggested the Hydraulic fittings are Sae. His guess is the wrench needed would be a 13/16 th. Or something in a 32 SAE.
Does anyone know exactly what size wrench the Hydraulic Hose fittings use?
Not the one on the hose tip but the double threaded fitting mating the hose to the Valve Body.
I'll buy the correct fit rather than destroy the machine.
When I removed the Elbow at the top (high pressure side) of the cylinder I was able to use a very big Cresent but don't want to try on the valve body. Thanks for any suggestions.
Be blessed.

Could very well be 13/16 yes. You don't have one that size? Can you borrow one somewhere? Or a 21mm, which is just a hair bigger then 13/16, but I highly doubt that is the 'proper' size, don't think they use metric stuff.

Not sure how big a hurry you're in, but might want to consider watching for a local Black Friday sale coming up on a decent wrench set that includes 13/16. You'd likely pay less than if you run out right now & get just one wrench that size, and chances are you'd use it again and maybe there are other sizes in it that you are also missing, if you don't have a 13/16?

Could very well be 13/16 yes. You don't have one that size? Can you borrow one somewhere? Or a 21mm, which is just a hair bigger then 13/16, but I highly doubt that is the 'proper' size, don't think they use metric stuff.

Not sure how big a hurry you're in, but might want to consider watching for a local Black Friday sale coming up on a decent wrench set that includes 13/16. You'd likely pay less than if you run out right now & get just one wrench that size, and chances are you'd use it again and maybe there are other sizes in it that you are also missing, if you don't have a 13/16?
Thanks, my only 13/16 is boxed end. Im buying tools to restock. Several years ago I let a homeless man and his family live free in my cabin. To show their apperation they pawned most of my tools. Be blessed.

Hose going from valve to cylinder would be high pressure. It doesnt sound right that the manufacturer would use a bronze fitting in that application. 13/16 should fit. If the fitting is so tight that you think the wrench will round the corners, take a small hammer and strike the end of the wrench. Not talking beating the wrench, just a series of light hits to break the fitting loose. It was probably put together with some sort of sealant and once you jar the fitting enough to break the seal the fitting should turn out pretty easy.

Hose going from valve to cylinder would be high pressure. It doesnt sound right that the manufacturer would use a bronze fitting in that application. 13/16 should fit. If the fitting is so tight that you think the wrench will round the corners, take a small hammer and strike the end of the wrench. Not talking beating the wrench, just a series of light hits to break the fitting loose. It was probably put together with some sort of sealant and once you jar the fitting enough to break the seal the fitting should turn out pretty easy.
Thanks. It's not brass just bronze color. Probably coated steel. Yes, hammer, great idea. Be blessed.

Finally got the new Hydraulic cylinder on. It was a Strange size fitting between the control valve and the bottom port. I bought about 100 dollars of new tools and a digital caliper because I wanted precise measurements.
The fitting in question measured 22.25mm in fractions 111/128.
The 21 mm wouldn't go on. There was slack on the 22 mm and I shimmed the wrench with a strip of metal from a cola can. That snugged the wrench but tapping caused the metal to cut.

Out of desperation I came up with a super good idea.
I wrapped a nylon strap around the body of the control valve making sure to NOT wrap any part that may snap off under pressure. Next I secured a 1.5 inch by 36 inch thick metal pipe along side the valve. I disconnected the hoses between the valve and cylinder. Using the pipe as a cheater I unscrewed the Entire valve body. The fitting came with the valve so I left it attached. I counted 5.5 ccw turns removing and it took about that going back on. To tighten I used the 22 mm opened wrench. I used Permatex Hi temp dope which seems to helped tighten and properly aline the valve. Reassembly of hoses proved to be easy as the Hydraulic lines were 22 mm and the attached part was exactly 25 mm.
I'm left with the opinion the loose 22.25mm fitting is meant to be 22 mm but is undersized.

If I'm ever forced to remove the valve again my plan is to buy a new part of the proper size. Now that I know how to remove the control valve without a wrench I'm not timid about working on it.
If the valve goes bad I'll order the correct fitting with a new valve. Now, I'm going to let it set a while to let the Permatex seat. Next, change the filter and fluid.

A VERY IMPORTANT thing I discovered is the air vent on the oil reservoir.

The fill plug has a OPEN, NON FILTERED HOLE in the side. This hole makes it easy for debris to contaminate the hydraulic fluid. That is VERY BAD DESIGN FLAW.

I'm going to measure the threads on the plug. Looks like 1.5 inch pipe threads.

IF, I can find a PVC threaded elbo to fit it may screw over the plug. The bend will keep water out and a foam breather can be stuffed inside the elbo.
The elbo will have a hole in the bottom so any water that may get in will not seep into the reservoir.

The CRAPPY swing down front leg that requires a pin to lock in place was removed and a proper trailer tongue jack was installed. No more fighting with the crappy stand and having a third wheel means swinging it a bit won't be difficult. The wheels are also crappy. Tires ok but to pull the rim you have to pull the bearings. A wheel with NO LUGS and I pull this down the highway. Crazy!!!!
I have a wheel with lugs from a small trailer which I'm thinking will fit the spindels. If so, I'll be able to carry a spare. Just like most crap, I'm having to reingeener this thing. I bought it used. Haven't looked at new ones. Looks like make cheap sell high is the new business model. Have a great day.

That sounds like a 7/8" wrench should have been the right size. There could have been some brooming of the edges that prevented you from slipping the wrench on?

That sounds like a 7/8" wrench should have been the right size. There could have been some brooming of the edges that prevented you from slipping the wrench on?
7/8 was way too big. 22 mm is smaller than 7/8 and I had to shim the 22mm but ONLY on that 1 fitting. On everything else the 22 and 25 mm fit perfectly.
My suspicion is that who ever built this machine got the cylinder out of China already assembled with control valve attached. The ONE off sized fitting must have been an odd ball size or maybe a reject. In China everything goes as long as they get the job done. Some parts are SAE the pressure fittings are 22 and 25 mm. It was tough but I finally figured it out, well all but that ODD sized fitting. Maybe a special wrench fits that one and is found in a tool box in China. But everything else is standard. Wouldn't you know it, put the crazy odd ball fitting in the least acessable place. As I said. Next time the control valve comes off, a correctly sized fitting will go on. Thanks. Have a great day

7/8 was way too big. 22 mm is smaller than 7/8 and I had to shim the 22mm but ONLY on that 1 fitting. On everything else the 22 and 25 mm fit perfectly.
My suspicion is that who ever built this machine got the cylinder out of China already assembled with control valve attached. The ONE off sized fitting must have been an odd ball size or maybe a reject. In China everything goes as long as they get the job done. Some parts are SAE the pressure fittings are 22 and 25 mm. It was tough but I finally figured it out, well all but that ODD sized fitting. Maybe a special wrench fits that one and is found in a tool box in China. But everything else is standard. Wouldn't you know it, put the crazy odd ball fitting in the least acessable place. As I said. Next time the control valve comes off, a correctly sized fitting will go on. Thanks. Have a great day

Your measuring must have been off a little bit then, because 22.25mm = 14.02/16" = 7/8". That's what the math says at one inch = 25.4mm. Which it is.

111/128" = 13.875/16.

21mm is slightly larger than 13/16. (13.23/16). So 13/16 might have done it.

Your measuring must have been off a little bit then, because 22.25mm = 14.02/16" = 7/8". That's what the math says at one inch = 25.4mm. Which it is.

111/128" = 13.875/16.

21mm is slightly larger than 13/16. (13.23/16). So 13/16 might have done it.
It was difficult to reach and yes at one measurement we got 7/8 and that was even bigger had more slop. The 22mm actually fit the hoses and the 25 mm fit the rest of the fittings. I took several readings and 22.25 mm was the most consistent. Thanks.

It was difficult to reach and yes at one measurement we got 7/8 and that was even bigger had more slop. The 22mm actually fit the hoses and the 25 mm fit the rest of the fittings. I took several readings and 22.25 mm was the most consistent. Thanks.
Update:
I finally took time to do the math and YES , 22.25 MM does equal 7/8.
NOW, I'm starting to wonder if the Harbor Frieght micrometer may be off a little bit.
Since I've solved the problem AND the 7/8 or 22 mm or the 21 mm don't fit I'll assume that is some off brand fitting OR it's possible the previous owner did something that causes it to be off size. It's the ONLY fitting that size. The others are either 22 or 24 mm. Problem Solved. Thanks.

If you had to shim the 22m to get it to work, then obviously it isn't 22.25. Which is bigger, not smaller, than 22mm.

It also doesn't take much of a little burr on a nut sometimes, to make it hard to get the proper size wrench on. A burr could also maybe throw off a micrometer measurement. Sometimes if you try the wrench the rest of the way around the fitting, you can find a spot it will fit on right.

If the 21 was too small, and the 7/8 too big, it should have been 22 - which I think is my bet. There are no other sizes in between. The fitting must have been burred, or rounded, from some poor previous wrenchmanship or the like.

Anyway, at least you got it done...

If you had to shim the 22m to get it to work, then obviously it isn't 22.25. Which is bigger, not smaller, than 22mm.

It also doesn't take much of a little burr on a nut sometimes, to make it hard to get the proper size wrench on. A burr could also maybe throw off a micrometer measurement. Sometimes if you try the wrench the rest of the way around the fitting, you can find a spot it will fit on right.

If the 21 was too small, and the 7/8 too big, it should have been 22 - which I think is my bet. There are no other sizes in between. The fitting must have been burred, or rounded, from some poor previous wrenchmanship or the like.

Anyway, at least you got it done...
Fully agree. I suspect the previous owner slipped a wrench then flat file one side to fit a Cresent wrench. I was a hydraulic mechanic back in the Navy about 50 years ago. We Never used a cresent. Our wrenches looked kinda like a boxed end wrench with a section cut out big enough to go over a line. Slip it over a line and down on the fitting.
The mesurements of my fitting was taken from the most accessible part of the fitting due to lines and location so it is likely I made a mistake. Thanks.

Plenty of NPT fittings used in hydraulic systems.
Good news, I got the new parts on the Huskee 22 ton log splitter.
I've been using it today no leaks. Works like new.
I put a new hydraulic oil filter on and new fluid.
Strange thing. The filter appears to be on the Return side of the control valve.
It looks like fluid feeds the pump DIRECTLY from the Resivor.
That would mean, any dirty fluid drawn from the resivor would flow through the system, pump, valve and cylinder before hitting the filter.
Also, the fill cap to the resivior has NO filter. Water, dirt, wood chips anything can dirty the fluid. Using two, 1 1/4 90 degree elbows I created a bent tube and put a sock over that. The wrench sizes we're 22 and 25 mm.

Back