Can I use your chainsaw knowledge??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DontKnowDiddly

Reaction score
I wondered if some of you folks out there that are familiar with chainsaws could help me out with picking a new saw to buy…??

I want to get one for my Dad to replace 3 small saws that he has… all of which have different problems. He has a bigger Stihl that works fine, but what he needs in addition is a small saw to use for pruning, limbing, firewood, and other misc small cutting chores around his Oregon farm..

The ailing small saws that he has: A Husky 335xpt that has been to 3 authorized service centers since I bought it used (BIG mistake!), and still doesn’t run worth a darn…. And is impossible for him to start when it’s cold. And the service charges we’ve sunk into it would have almost bought him a new saw already… He has a couple of small Homelites that he's had around for years, too… one isn’t running at all, and the other has never oiled right.

What he needs: At 90+ years old, he’s not as strong as he used to be so light-weight is an important quality, kind of tied with ease of starting (potentially in both cold and hot situations) for the top two things he needs. And reliability is important too… and a good warrantee wouldn’t hurt..

He does want a GAS-powered saw, with a 14” bar, “top-handle” style, and automatic oiler.

I’ve done a little bit of looking on the internet, just to see what’s available in the top-handle style, and came up with a list. Hopefully I just have top-handles on the list below, and haven't missed too many.

Could any of you give me some insight into good and bad points on these.., ease of starting, weight, power, etc? And any suggestions would be welcome re which might meet his needs for the most reasonable cost…

Dolmar PS3300TH

ECHO CS2600ES (This had an easy-start option, but I only saw this model on non-USA sites, like http://www.echo-tools.co.uk/chainsaws/index.asp?id=1&cat=30&pid=64..)
Echo CS-300
Echo CS30514SP 30.1cc (HomeDepot gives this ID number, but picture shows top-handle style, not the end-handle that Echo-USA shows for the CS-305?)
Echo CS-340

Makita DCS330

RedMax G2500TS
RedMax G310TS - G3100

Shindaiwa 357

Solo 633

Stihl…The Easy2Start feature doesn’t seem to be available in any of the top-handle saws?

Stihl 009L
Stihl MS191T
Stihl MS 200T

Husky 334T
Husky 338xpt

OR…. Any OTHER potential saws that you would recommend? I guess the little bit of reading that I’ve done so far re the list above would leave me leaning toward the little Echo CS-300, but since I don’t know anything about the different features maybe I’m way off base..

===================
ANY INFO THAT YOU CHAINSAW-SAVVY FOLKS MIGHT CARE TO SHARE WOULD REALLY BE APPRECIATED. Thanks...
====================

At 90+, I would spent my time sitting in the porch, enjoy my belgian beer, and watch the dontknowdiddlies do the work for me.

but anyway, If he likes to enjoy a few more years working, I would not recommend a top handle saw, just for safety reasons.

Stihl MS 200 (T if necessary) will keep him going !

I hope to live til 90 and still be able to cut wood! Sorry to hear that you got a lemon of a saw in that 335...usually a decent saw that is. The CS-300 is good, in-expensive and should work for what he wants to do. I would think that an 026 Stihl would be the biggest he might think about or the husky 136 or 141. The power heads on both of these Huskys are 10.1 lbs. All 3 Stihls you mentioned are very good too and will last a long time.

An echo would be fine. However if you want a Good saw lean towards Stihl, Husky,Jonsered,Dolmar/Makita. I have a ms180c for carving, Back handle,Nice saw, around 200$ Most important rule go to the dealer you are most comofortable with and give him some buissness. All fine saws.

The Dolmar/Makita top handle saw are one in the same saw and are made by Tanaka. I wouldn't recommend them, as they are underpowered, especially for firewood cutting duty. I know you said top handle, but some tree companies have been using the PS-401 Dolmar in favor of the Tanaka made saw. At 40cc, 2.3Hp, and only 8.8lbs, it is less expensive, nearly as light, and more powerful than the top handle Dolmar, plus you get a little better reach with the rear handle design. I noticed the Solo 633 on your list, but there is a new model, the 637 out with better features and more displacement (40cc) and power (2.6hp). The Stihl MS200T will be highly recommended as well, but both the Stihl and the Solo will be around $400. The Echos may end up fitting the bill nicely with a good compromise of price and quality, if a top handle design is a must.

Last edited:
90 and still cutting! God bless him. We should all be so lucky. Though he wants a top handle, unless he's dead set on it, and knows how tricky they can be, I'd lean toward a tail handle. It's just a safer, more stable platorm, and easier on the wrists unless you're up in a tree. If he wants a top handle, I'd go with a Stihl 200, as I'm a Stihl guy. And I also think the Echos would be a good compromise for a smaller saw. But you've done your homework, and know more about what's out there than I do in these models so stick with a name brand, and as has been mentioned, find a good dealer. My 84 year old neighbor uses an 026, and uses it well. But that's as big as I'd like to see him use. Hope we're able to help.

Take care all,
Jeff

Really?

"... a tail handle. It's just a safer, more stable platorm, and easier on the wrists unless you're up in a tree..."

The back handle is really easier on wrists?? I would have thought the opposite. Dad has almost always had top-handle saws, so that's what he's more used to and more comfortable with, I think. He feels like they're more maneuverable for him, and less strain holding weight under the handle as opposed to having all weight out in front of the handle.

Many thanks for ALL of the responses. Most definitely a big help to me.

Thanks again!

DontKnowDiddly said:
"... a tail handle. It's just a safer, more stable platorm, and easier on the wrists unless you're up in a tree..."

The back handle is really easier on wrists?? I would have thought the opposite. Dad has almost always had top-handle saws, so that's what he's more used to and more comfortable with, I think. He feels like they're more maneuverable for him, and less strain holding weight under the handle as opposed to having all weight out in front of the handle.

Many thanks for ALL of the responses. Most definitely a big help to me.

Thanks again!

Oh that's just my experience with them. A top handle sitting at the same angle as the saw makes my wrist want to bend at a higher angle, or hold the saw closer to my body to relieve the angle. The tail mount is at an angle to the saw, and especially when bending over to limb a down tree, or clean up some firewood the tail handle is more comfortable for me when I want to reach, or not cut directly below me next to my foot. The top handle would definately be more maneuverable, without a doubt. If your dad is 90 and has always had top handle saws, then by all means go with a top handle. They just put your hands closer together, which is physically less stable, and could be a safety concern, as was mentioned by belgian. But again, your dad is 90, he can probably handle a saw and take care of himself just fine. I think it's cool he's still out cutting!

Just my opinion.

Take care all,
Jeff

well you said ,he wants top handle.. echo 340 i think would be my recommendation.. unless moneys no object then the 020 t stihl gets the best comments ive heard here.my money would go to an good used with easy adjust carb.. jmo.. the only problem here, being these are mostly owned by pros.. so used mite be a little too used ,i dont know..i love to get the pro models that were commonly bought by nonpro users.. 028 being the best example i know of..

I cast my vote for the Stihl 009. Not quite a true top handle saw but close. Reliable as gravity. Reed valve design for good grunt.

If you can find one, add a Sthil 023 C to the list, the c is for a decompession valve and if it has the quick adjust chain tensioner on it so much the better.

My dad is in his late 70's and has one like this, a very nice little saw, I cringe every time I see him use it, he can't keep it out of the dirt and his balance isn't that great either. I've have used the saw myself up in a tree and on the ground, it is a nice, light, well balanced, powerful little saw for doing light work. Most of time it just sits in the shop gathering dust, which is a shame, but it is not my saw, I do start it often to keep it from going downhill, just because I hate to see it sit and do nothing, what a waste of a good saw. Oh well that's life in the big city.

Larry

Tony M are all the dolmar/makita saws made by Tanaka? I realized they were the same to each other but diddnt know that. I bought tanaka 2 stoke oil for a lawn boy and i swear it blew it up. The big Dolmars have a good rep, never heard much about their runt models.

No, don't start that rumor. The top handle saw is the only Tanaka saw in the Dolmar line. I was told at one point that Dolmar was working on their own top handle saw, but have not heard anything since. Seeing as it is taking forever for them to release the new PS-5000, I'm not surprised.

Last edited:
Thank you for clearing that up I could not believe my eyes when you said dolmar/makita was made by tanaka, good thing they are not. I would never of considered buying one. What is tanaka anyway? some kind of japanese company?

My thoughts for pops

If you can get over your disappointment with the Husqvarna xpt, buy him a brand new one. That way you have a parts saw if needed and a great saw that probably will never need parts. Makes sense to me.

I'll probably get ripped.

Latest posts

Back