Can this Stihl 076 be rebuilt?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlasKarl

In pursuit of happiness
Reaction score
Here are a few pics of my "latest saw", it's a Stihl 076. It has been used in a MillRite to mill the outside logs (two sided) for a log house probably 20 years ago. The saw has not been used for at least 10 years if not longer. I cleaned the outside and took some pics to post here. I live remote and have to send her into town with the next mail plane for inspection obviously. I own a new 440MS but would like to have the 076 rebuilt if possible to run it again in a Granberg mill. I am aware that the saw has to be taken apart to get the real picture of its condition to come up with a "go or no-go". I could buy a 076 in town from a different saw shop that runs but looks much rattier than mine for 300 $.

The question to you is this: are there still parts available for this old saw? What are your thoughts? What questiones would you ask the saw shop mechanic?

Thank you!

008_1_4.jpg

011_3_2.jpg

The saw is complete, just took the cover off for a better look.

010_2_1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not your answer man even though I'm sure anything you want can be done to your saw if it even needs anything at all. I just wanted post on how nice it is. That is a really nice saw!!!:clap:

Sweet Saw! Unfortunately, it's trashed, I can tell with my x-ray vision. Send it out on the next mail plane to me and I'll recycle it in an environmentally responsible manner. :clap:

It might not need anything more than a $10 carburetor kit if it wasn't broken when it was put away 10 years ago.

Ian

That saw cannot be fixed if you send it to me I can get rid of it for you! LOL:greenchainsaw:

Wow you guys are quick, thanks for the heads-up! I take it she just might be rebuildable :clap: that's great news :cheers:

STIHL 041S - you made my day! Did just that, pulled her through, had good compresssion, but no starting. Then I put a brand new Bosch Cr Ni plug in, pulled her through again, and she runs like a charm, wish y'all could hear her!

I am so happy :cheers: it's unreal!

STIHL 041S - you made my day! Did just that, pulled her through, had good compresssion, but no starting. Then I put a brand new Bosch Cr Ni plug in, pulled her through again, and she runs like a charm, wish y'all could hear her!

I am so happy :cheers: it's unreal!

Your going to love that old beast they are great for milling....

Folks this is me again, don't mean to bore you.

But this is unreal. This saw sat in the back of a saw shack, untouched for I think I can honestly say close to 15 years. I just considered my new 440MS is too good a saw to be used for milling. Expecting a mail plane next week I thought I clean this 076 up and send her in to have Wayne look at her. Then this morning I took some pics, posted them here, and now my baby runs, and runs, and runs :clap:

Unreal! Wonderfully unreal!

Good things happen to good people, right?

Folks this is me again, don't mean to bore you.

But this is unreal. This saw sat in the back of a saw shack, untouched for I think I can honestly say close to 15 years. I just considered my new 440MS is too good a saw to be used for milling. Expecting a mail plane next week I thought I clean this 076 up and send her in to have Wayne look at her. Then this morning I took some pics, posted them here, and now my baby runs, and runs, and runs :clap:

Unreal! Wonderfully unreal!

Good things happen to good people, right?

Congratulations!!! It will make an AWESOME milling saw!:clap: :cheers:

I was going to say that not only could it be rebuilt (if necessary) but that it would be a sin NOT to. Glad to hear that it wasn't needed.
That saw will most likely far outlast your 440. In a sense it already may have.
Mike

If the piston looks great, and it runs, and idles fine, have the compression checked. With the way that looks, it probably has not seen much use and rebuilding at this point would be a waste of money. Especially if compression numbers are compareable to what they were new.

Usually you only rebuild a saw when something flies apart, or when compression gets too low. Do a search on this site and you will find a ton of information regarding these saws. Good luck!

worse case scenario would be a carb kit and fuel/implulse lines. It is simple enough for anyone to do.

Glad to hear that she roared to life after sleeping a decade or more

that saw looks incredible for its age. while you cant tell much from exterior condition, she doesnt look as if she has much hard use.

check the compression and verify that the rubber components are sound and she should be good to go. ive found that most of the parts for my 051(your 076's little brother) are still available. your saw was a close relative to the ts760 that only stopped production a few years ago.

i have the service manual and ipl if you want. send me an email addy through a pm and i can send it to you. as everyone else has, ill offer to buy your saw, but i wouldnt sell her if she was mine.

some other guys here can give you details on the performance of the 051/076 in the woods, they are legends from what ive heard....

Back