Can you i.d this wood please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Locust?

The grain looks like locust, but the bark does not. Locust is very heavy, and I have bent heavy metal splitting some of it.

Storm damaged Linden.

I think this might be right, based especially on the very wide growth rings. Sometimes hard to tell with the bark.

Linden/bass wood is often planeted as an ornamental in parking lots and other urban settings. Wood carvers like it, and it had some other woodworking traits. Not in that condition. Sadly, not even very good as firewood, which is what you have there.

BTW, sharpen that chain. Looks like you burnt your way through some of those pieces.

Boxelder

Not positive, but pretty sure that It's Box elder, a section of root, and the place where it's broken and white is the base of the tree. Box elder is the absolute bottom of the barrel as far as I am concerned. Hard to cut, hard to split, heavy as a 2 dollar hooker, and won't burn worth a sheet even if soaked in gasoline. Only heat ya get from it is that which you get from trying to cut and split it. My advise is to haul it back to the woods and bury it in a deep hole and cover it with quick lime and fill in the hole. JR

Not positive, but pretty sure that It's Box elder, a section of root, and the place where it's broken and white is the base of the tree. Box elder is the absolute bottom of the barrel as far as I am concerned. Hard to cut, hard to split, heavy as a 2 dollar hooker, and won't burn worth a sheet even if soaked in gasoline. Only heat ya get from it is that which you get from trying to cut and split it. My advise is to haul it back to the woods and bury it in a deep hole and cover it with quick lime and fill in the hole. JR

Sound like you really like box elder, it doesn't cut hard. The rest is true. Steve

I think this might be right, based especially on the very wide growth rings. Sometimes hard to tell with the bark.

Linden/bass wood is often planeted as an ornamental in parking lots and other urban settings. Wood carvers like it, and it had some other woodworking traits. Not in that condition. Sadly, not even very good as firewood, which is what you have there.

BTW, sharpen that chain. Looks like you burnt your way through some of those pieces.

Yeah I hit the dirt and then didn't have a file with me. But had a few more peices to get through.

right then guys i think we can put this to bed now , iv'e just been down to the wood pile for a look/ sniff the bark is thin darkgreyish bown with a few light green marks it does smell sweetish and the centre is quite orange , i think it is APPLE

and i'm very surpised not more of you commented on the sharpness of the cut ...it was the last cut of the day and yes that chain really did need a good shapen

Back