cannot start Stihl MS250 for the life of me!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will try uploading the video to google video

In the meantime, I am questioning whether my saw has the Easy2Start system. The model # on the side just says "MS 250". Comparing it to pics on the Stihl website, it looks more like the regular MS250, with two bolts holding the cover instead of the twist-lock plug.

how can I tell for sure what starting system it has?

and the original question still stands - how the hell do I start this ####### thing?

Quickest way to start a flooded saw is to flick the air filter off the carb. The petrol soaked filter is the culprit. A couple of pulls without the filter and she'll fire right up, but, hehe, the best way is to not flood the saw in the first instance

my saw looks like this:

MS250.gif

not like this:
MS250CBE.gif

questions:
1. does this indicate that my saw does not have Easy2Start, but rather the conventional start?

2. based on the started I have, and the video, do you think I am flooding the saw?

3. if I am flooding the saw, how do I avoid it?

I used a Stihl Farm Boss many years ago - always started by the 3rd or 4th pull. Bought a new Stihl MS 250 with Easy2Start (not for me) system . I have used it twice and both times took me almost 1/2 an hour to get it started. Now I flat out cannot get it to start. Took it back to the dealer, who opened it up, declared the engine was flooded, dried it out. I picked it up today, and the guy showed me again how to start it. Made it look easy. I got it home, tried to start it myself, absolutely nothing. Will not start to turn over (purring sound).

Here is my technique:

set it on the ground, depress trigger, set switch to Cold Start (last one on the bottom). Pick it up, holding the front handle with my left hand (not holding the chain brake at all).

Pull it hard 3 times in quick succession. Nothing, no sign of it beginning to start. Set the switch to Warm Start, pull it 5 times, nothing. Set it to Run, pull it. Nothing.

Opened up the case, removed spark plug, checked gap (fine), turned saw upside down. Nothing comes out; it's dry. Put it back together. Set switch to Cold Start, pull it 5 times. Nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

The MS250EZ start version has a primer bulb on the right side of the carb housing. Looking at your starting procedure there I noticed you never said whether you primed it or not. No primy, no starty...

Opps, just saw your latest post, so your saw does not have a primer??

The MS250EZ start version has a primer bulb on the right side of the carb housing. Looking at your starting procedure there I noticed you never said whether you primed it or not. No primy, no starty...

Opps, just saw your latest post, so your saw does not have a primer??

correct - my saw does not have a primer bulb. I guess I assumed all ms250s came w/ EZstart. So now it looks like I am having difficulty starting a conventional saw....?

correct - my saw does not have a primer bulb. I guess I assumed all ms250s came w/ EZstart. So now it looks like I am having difficulty starting a conventional saw....?

Seem you are indeed. Now let me get this right. The dealer said it was flooded when you brought it in. You went to get the saw and he showed you how to start it by starting it himself, the saw started right up in his hands but will not start in your hand, have I got that correct?

Last edited:
Seem you are indeed. Now let me get this right. The dealer said it was flooded when you brought it in. You went to get the saw and he showed you how to start it by starting it himself, the saw started right up in his hands but will not start in your hand, have I got that correct?

exactly. He pulled it 3 times on full choke, and the engine started to "turn over". I know that sound - I have heard it hundreds of times (used to work in landscaping over the summers). I have pulled the cord 20-40x on full choke, and I never hear that sound.

exactly. He pulled it 3 times on full choke, and the engine started to "turn over". I know that sound - I have heard it hundreds of times (used to work in landscaping over the summers). I have pulled the cord 20-40x on full choke, and I never hear that sound.

Ok, 20-40 times on full choke. Heres whatcha do. Remove the muffler and crank the saw watching the piston. Chances are good your going to see fuel being pushed down the side of the piston on the up stroke meaning the bottom of your engine is full of unburnt fuel. Its got to come out. You said the plug was dry but see if the inside of the engine is dry for good measure.

If you do see wet fuel being pushed past the piston on the up stroke thats a good thing, thats the problem. Leave the muffler off, set the throttle to the one step up from full choke and start cranking. The air coming into the exhaust will help clear out the engine. When she fires it will be loud as hell. You will hear it sure. Put the muffler back on and start the saw and stay clear of all that smoke that huzzy will be pouring out once it starts..

make sure there are no 346 s around and that 250 will probably start....

You think so Pete, why my goodness we never thought of that, your a genius Pete. I hear Husky has about a 1000 openings over there, you should go to work for them,LOLOL

Ok, 20-40 times on full choke. Heres whatcha do. Remove the muffler and crank the saw watching the piston. Chances are good your going to see fuel being pushed down the side of the piston on the up stroke meaning the bottom of your engine is full of unburnt fuel. Its got to come out. You said the plug was dry but see if the inside of the engine is dry for good measure.

If you do see wet fuel being pushed past the piston on the up stroke thats a good thing, thats the problem. Leave the muffler off, set the throttle to the one step up from full choke and start cranking. The air coming into the exhaust will help clear out the engine. When she fires it will be loud as hell. You will hear it sure. Put the muffler back on and start the saw and stay clear of all that smoke that huzzy will be pouring out once it starts..

OK, what covers do I need to remove to do this? I don't have a repair manual or parts diagram.

Send it to Thall then.......

Several threads where you can get a manual.......

One starts with "Media"....

Thall, you been on vacation, or what?????? You expect me to be cordial for
a full week????????

Hey...your manual is on the way...check your email...in about another 20 minutes, I'm on dialup and a 2Mb file takes a loooong time!

FWIW...when starting cold on full choke, even if you feel the compression 'catch' when pulling, switch to half choke immediately. My 250 used to do that, but then I sold it and invested in the 260 pro, I needed the extra oomph...my neighbour loves it (the 250)

Might just take the saw back to the dealer but YOU try to start it. Let them watch you. You've watched them do it and it worked. If you have the ez start, that I'm not at all familiar with [ uh, ok, I don't even know what it is]. But take it in, don't let them start it, let them observe you. Nothing more frustrating than a saw that won't start. Once you figure out what is happening, I'll bet you'll be able to start it every time.

Did anybody else watch the video?????????????

Nothing personal, but pull the rope with some authority.
Your pulling on that rope like a little girl.

The dealer pulled it 3 times with the choke on then switched it to fast idle and it started.I'd bet he pulled the rope a lot harder.

Hmmm.......maybe you should try it that way.

If that's all the harder you can pull the rope, then you should just hire someone to do your cuttin'.

Did anybody else watch the video?????????????

Nothing personal, but pull the rope with some authority.
Your pulling on that rope like a little girl.

The dealer pulled it 3 times with the choke on then switched it to fast idle and it started.I'd bet he pulled the rope a lot harder.

Hmmm.......maybe you should try it that way.

If that's all the harder you can pull the rope, then you should just hire someone to do your cuttin'.

Oh, I can definitely pull it a lot harder, and usually do. What I did in the video was based on advice in this thread saying to "pull it as gently as possible". That was based on my assumption that my saw had the Easy2Start system, but it looks like it doesn't after all.

I usually give it a hard pull and the engine doesn't turn over after 40 pulls. Now it sounds like I have to take the entire thing apart to un-flood it. I have tried to start it about 30 times, and have been successful twice. No idea what I did different those times. I really don't want to drive back to the dealer - they won't even look at it while you wait. I doubt they will supervise me trying to start it in the store.

"I doubt they will supervise me trying to start it in the store."

Then take them and the saw outside.

Have you tried 2-3 hard pulls on choke them set it to fast idle?

You don't have the easy start system.

A lot of times you won't hear the pop........

Have you tried 2-3 hard pulls on choke them set it to fast idle?

You don't have the easy start system.

A lot of times you won't hear the pop........

so after three hard pulls on choke, set it to fast idle regardless of whether it starts to turn over? then just keep pulling on fast idle no matter how long it takes?

When you pull it in the choke position, is it injecting gas into the cylinder with every pull? Is the same true in fast idle?

Latest posts

Back