Cant get it right this year, OWB loading.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Most who own an OWB have found out that hap hazard feeding will result in wood wasted and the build up of coals. I stepped off the wood pile this morning and we might have burned 4.5 cords so far this year or about 2/3 of what we have burned in the past winters to this point. If anything this has been the coldest winter since we installed it. Only thing I can figure is it takes a lot more wood to heat the domestic water than we (I?) realize as nothing has changed around here except two boys moved out and the ole woman got a front loader wash'en machine. Anyway I have not put any wood in the OWB on a Saturday all winter as I use that day to get the coals burned down with several stirrings. Good thing we had all the wood here at the house, sure as heck cant get to the woods through 3 foot of snow and who would want to? Cutting wood in snow aint never been called fun in my book.

I haven't gotten around to doing my DHW setup from the boiler yet, but a poorly insulated building like my shop causes a lot more wood usage too. I kinda shorted myself on wood in the shed, and we still have 24" of snow as well...it's getting packed down pretty hard too. It will probably be 2-3 weeks before I can get back in the wwods again.

I have used more wood this year as well and nothing has/was changed except I started burning 3 weeks earlier than in 08.

Every morning I stumble out to load it those cute little soft and cuddly bunny rabbits scare the heck out of me :monkey: You might wonder why they are hanging out so close to the burner? Well thats where the grass is exposed...yep the snow is gone RIGHT where my lines run. :cry: I have also noticed that the snow wont hang out on the roof of the burner as long as it use to.

I guess I have another project to add to the list that never ends...

I've noticed days the wife and kids are home they kick the thermostat up to 70 (programable t-stat turns down to 67 on days no one home), I get 3-4 hours less burn time from my load of wood. I wouldn't have believed that 3 degrees over 8 hours would burn that much more wood.
Also notice when someone is in the shower the furnace burns much longer than just when heating the house. Hooking a pool up to the furnace this spring. I would guess that will eat the wood!

I looked out one day and saw the snow was melted off the roof of my shop exactly where the lines run in the actic. Since then i've been insulating everything ,lines walls ,hot water heater. Made a huge difference.

Latest posts

Back