Capstan rope winch....bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fattyphatcakes

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just got my capstan in and set it up on a ms310. My question is this, does the little cutterless chain need lubrication from the oiler? I tried it a bit with using the oiler turned all the way down....it makes quite a mess. Or will just spraing the chain on each use be enough, or am i really missing something here?

I'd pull the oiler drive gear out so as not to burn up the oil pump and spray the drive chain with some motorcycle chain lube.

The motorcycle lube may work, but it seems the chain is probably going much faster than on a motorcycle. I modified the side cover to fit (had to cut a notch from the front of it) that lessens the mess, but a lot of oil flies off the front sprocket which is exposed. Has anybody tried a thicker oil, something that will flow slower and stick to the chain well? I'm suprised that the instrux for the winch make no mention of this topic.

I bought a Capstan last summer and was told by the Stihl dealer who helped install the winch to remove the oil from tank since it did nothing to lubricate (other than the ground) and to keep a lithium greas on the chain every once in awhile when it appeared dry.....This has worked well for me.

joeclean

I would not find a need to constantly oil the chain as it does not built up heat br rubbing against a piece of wood at 10,000 rpms it is just running from spocket to sprocket, way less friction. How do those winches work? I found them quite interesting.

Thanks for the advice. What kinda oil would work best, motorcycle oil makes sence, but then lith greese seems like it would stay on there well, that chain moves pretty fast, what do you other winch users use. So far all I have used it for was a test, moving the chipper over to the truck, the job I bought it for should happen next week, several removals on a mtn property.

Another question though, I bought the 300' winch line (3 strand) when I bought the winch, what other kinds of rope do people use. The book recommends 3/8" line, but it looks like 1/2 may work. I would think that 3/8" tenex may work well, has anybody tried it?

later...

I have found that the winch did not pull braided line for me. (16 strand 1/2 inch) I use a 3 strand 3/8 inch line for mine and feed the line coming off the winch into a bucket. Works well for me.

I might try grease on the chain. The chain does need some sort of lube. I have been using bar oil from one of those oil cans with a squirter.

Go to a motorcycle shop

A good motorcyle chain lube comes in a spray can with a thin tube nozzle. Just spray on enought to cover the rivits and then let it set for a couple of min. Most of them "harden" or set up into a waxy type film after they penetrate. They do a very good job, just think of how fast and long that chain is going sometimes at over 100 miles an hour and one that is taken care of for 25000 miles or more. They fling very little after they set up and since it is on the winch it shouldn't be rubbed off.

Back