Carb question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin-knocker

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I was rebuilding a carb this morning and I got to wondering. What the heck are these little metal ovals they send with the carb kits? IMG_2612.JPG I've seen where they go in the carb itself but what are they for? I have tried once to pop the old ones out but they are really stuck in there and look like you need to press em in maybe with a special tool or something. Saws run fine with just a regular rebuild without replacing these. So does anyone replace these when they rebuild their carbs?

They’re called Welch plugs. When casting & manufacturing a carb, there are places you need to drill jets & ream bores, so the routing of the feed circuits pass under those. They basically separate two circuits or areas of the carb from one another.

Make more sense now?

They’re called Welch plugs. When casting & manufacturing a carb, there are places you need to drill jets & ream bores, so the routing of the feed circuits pass under those. They basically separate two circuits or areas of the carb from one another.

Make more sense now?
Makes sense. But do they need to be replaced when doing a carb rebuild?

Well I guess I answered my own question today. Rebuilt the carb on a trimmer but still wouldn't idle. So I popped those guys out and cleaned everything real good. Punched those new plugs back in and now it idles great and runs awesome. Thanks for all your help guys! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back