Carolina Shoe Company Logging Boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nick's makes a fine boot as well.

Yup, out'a Spokane Wa. . . My local boot guy talked them up before he sold his shop. He said they were a fine boot for sure.

I must say that my brother is a boot snob (connoisseur to some ;)), and buys Whites that start at around 4 bills. He wears his out as fast as I wear out a pair of $125.00 Chippewas.

I think half the battle with any boot is care. . . If you don't keep up with the leather, and you let it dry out, your boots are gonna be down the road in a pine box.

I'm getting two years out'a these Chippewa Loggers, and then I resole them for $45.00, and get another year. I wear them all the time. . . If I fall asleep on the couch, I sleep in them.

I weld in them all day, firewood in them, forge in them. . . They're the only "shoe" I own. So I can say they get warn.

Buy whatever boot suits your budget or taste. . . Just keep them greased/oiled, and they'll last a hell of a lot longer.

Mike,
I know you've already ordered them, but I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in anyway.
I've tried the Carolina loggers a couple of times. The first pair lasted me 8 months before they started breaking down. The second pair was less than that. I know you're going to have them in the closet more than on your feet, but your saw's sit in the shed more than they are in your hands and I didn't notice any "wild things" in your signature.
High quality footwear is the only way to go in my opinion. Once your feet are sore and worn out, the rest of you isn't far behind.

Andy

I get the point your making about them being low end boots! I will make a trip to "Boot Barn" in Albuquerque after the boots come in to compare. And see if I can find a better pair of boots.

I thought about the actual time that the boots would get used during a year. I would be during firewood collecting, splitting of firewood, and finally stacking of wood. That comes out to maybe ( each cord of wood processed from green tree to stacked wood takes me about 6.5 to 7 hours ) a max of 24 to 25 hours this year(4 cords). Plus another 20 hours in the field with my father cutting his firewood. Now that time is split up over a weeks time. With felling and limbing the wood eating up the most time. Don't you love all the time it takes cutting pinion for firewood!

I am looking at 45 to 50 hours a year that I would be wearing the boots. I figure that $250.00 to $300 spread over 3 years more then cover the cost of the boots. Being in the transportation business, I always look at the cost over time versus the up front cost.

Mike

I have a pair of 12" hoffmans very stout takes a bit to break em in but now I can wear em 8 hours a day and forget im wearing such a stout boot. Not quite as comfortable as whites but they run 250-300 instead of 400. I also like the taller boots because my shins look sexierr with out all the scrapes and bruises on them.

What is a matter with a few scars from logs nicking and ding your shins??? :dizzy: Chicks dig scars!!! LOL :monkey:

I hear you! I am sick of banging my shins against logs and bucked up rounds!

Tall boots = Big Bucks! :cry:

Mike

Maybe no answers because most guys spend more than 80 bucks for a pair of boots. I'm not saying the Carolinas are bad but for that price you probably shouldn't expect much.

I've seen people try the cheap boots and they usually wind up throwing them away and spending the money for a good set. Nothing is worse than a pair of boots that start going out of shape and wearing out before they're really worn in.

For what you plan on doing I'd get a set of Red Dawgs from Baileys or something comparable.

A good pair of Wescos will last you many years and they don't cost a lot more than the Red Dawgs. I like the Wescos.

Or...you could do like our friend Slowp and have Kulien make you a custom fitted pair. I have saws that didn't cost as much as her boots. :)

I checked out Bailey's red dawgs, not to many in size 13. :cry: Price looks good for them though!

Thanks for the info.

Mike

Yup, out'a Spokane Wa. . . My local boot guy talked them up before he sold his shop. He said they were a fine boot for sure.

I must say that my brother is a boot snob (connoisseur to some ;)), and buys Whites that start at around 4 bills. He wears his out as fast as I wear out a pair of $125.00 Chippewas.

I think half the battle with any boot is care. . . If you don't keep up with the leather, and you let it dry out, your boots are gonna be down the road in a pine box.

I'm getting two years out'a these Chippewa Loggers, and then I resole them for $45.00, and get another year. I wear them all the time. . . If I fall asleep on the couch, I sleep in them.

I weld in them all day, firewood in them, forge in them. . . They're the only "shoe" I own. So I can say they get warn.

Buy whatever boot suits your budget or taste. . . Just keep them greased/oiled, and they'll last a hell of a lot longer.

I see if my local boot "warehouse" has Chippewa's in stock. Do you use Huberd's boot grease??? Is it any good??

Mike

I go with cheapo's because I have had three pair of wesco's they last no longer than the cheapo's for me. I think the years in spurs has messed up my feet I wear the outside of any heel made in three months tops. I can't see wearing out 400 worth of boot that soon. I would buy them if they had a metal insert in the out side area of the heel though.

Grind the heal so you can nail in a horse shoe. I've seen boots from the civil war that soldiers did that modification to make them last longer!

http://www.robertlandhistoricshoes.com/servlet/Detail?no=16

Mike

I see if my local boot "warehouse" has Chippewa's in stock. Do you use Huberd's boot grease??? Is it any good??

Mike

Mike. . . I used Skidmores at the behest of my boot guy for a long time. It was pretty good stuff. . . But on a whim one day, I put Bag Balm on them, and haven't looked back.

I warm the boots by the fire, or use a blow dryer to warm the leather, then I take an old tooth brush and rag and feed the leather until it doesn't want to take anymore.

My boots stay supple, water resistant, and crack free for long stretches using it. It was originally made for the utter of a cow, and I grew up using it for that purpose. One day I had a thought when I was looking at the can of Balm in the medicine cabinet, I thought, "Boot leather is cow. . . Just dead cow." LOL

I like using it.

Here's more from an old thread. . . http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=113793&highlight=Bag+Balm

Any one using or have used their logging boots? I need some "good" quality 8" to 10" steel toed boots for saw work. But will not be using them more then 20-25 hours a month for 3-4 months per year. I found a new pair of Carolina logger boots for $80.00. Is that a good deal for a rebuildable boot? I am tired of buying crappy boots. So if I am going to get a better quality work boots. I want some that I can have rebuilt down the road.

Any ideas???

Mike

For what you are talking about use I think you will be fine even if they are cheap boots. You get what you pay for. I lean towards Red Wings myself but I am looking to get some better boots for climbing. Red Wing arch support, not that good for standing on the spurs.

I go with cheapo's because I have had three pair of wesco's they last no longer than the cheapo's for me. I think the years in spurs has messed up my feet I wear the outside of any heel made in three months tops. I can't see wearing out 400 worth of boot that soon. I would buy them if they had a metal insert in the out side area of the heel though.

You can get steel thingamajigs that nail into your soles, made just for that. I don't know what they're called, though.

Mike. . . I used Skidmores at the behest of my boot guy for a long time. It was pretty good stuff. . . But on a whim one day, I put Bag Balm on them, and haven't looked back.

Yeah, that works well. I still like Sno-Seal better, myself.

I avoid anything silicone like the plague! Short term help, long term... well, you don't get a long term. Dries the leather out.

You can get steel thingamajigs that nail into your soles, made just for that. I don't know what they're called, though.

Your thinking of the metal protector on the side, I need it one the outside of my heels. Sorta like tap dancers might have :laugh: I just buy the walmart waterproof cheapos every three months!

Get what you pay for....right.

2 pair of Carolina steel toe, insulated, "waterproof" 8" boots for winter cutting.
Both pair leaked, froze the toes, sent them back, got replacements, same problems. Yes, used Sno Seal. Working in snow your feet sweat then get cold without good protection. If there's no one around with a warm belly to warm the piggies (good buddy :confused:), it could be dangerous.

Red Wings or Labonville boots: no problems. I never tried the real high end ones that some like for big $$$$$.

Back