Carolina Shoe Company Logging Boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallegosmike

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Land of loose NUTS, Really Big FLAKES, and Fruity
Any one using or have used their logging boots? I need some "good" quality 8" to 10" steel toed boots for saw work. But will not be using them more then 20-25 hours a month for 3-4 months per year. I found a new pair of Carolina logger boots for $80.00. Is that a good deal for a rebuildable boot? I am tired of buying crappy boots. So if I am going to get a better quality work boots. I want some that I can have rebuilt down the road.

Any ideas???

Mike

Anybody???

Maybe no answers because most guys spend more than 80 bucks for a pair of boots. I'm not saying the Carolinas are bad but for that price you probably shouldn't expect much.

I've seen people try the cheap boots and they usually wind up throwing them away and spending the money for a good set. Nothing is worse than a pair of boots that start going out of shape and wearing out before they're really worn in.

For what you plan on doing I'd get a set of Red Dawgs from Baileys or something comparable.

A good pair of Wescos will last you many years and they don't cost a lot more than the Red Dawgs. I like the Wescos.

Or...you could do like our friend Slowp and have Kulien make you a custom fitted pair. I have saws that didn't cost as much as her boots. :)

Get the Labonville loggers boots. They're top quality, fit well and last a long. Oh, they're also the only boot I've found that are Kevlar lined. Twice the price of the Carolinas, but 4 times the boot.

The Kuliens are the best I've had. But you don't want them unless you have weird feet, are rich, or depend on your weird feet for your living. I don't have the luxury of having a big selection of off the shelf boots to try out.

I used to work on a timber marking crew, and we covered miles and miles of ground each day. My boss, who had normal guy feet, decided it was better for him to buy a pair of Georgia boots, which would last a season, than a pair of Whites, which might last for 2 seasons and then be ready for rebuilding. But that was him. Shorly after, his feet went bad and he had to go into another line of work.

Coincidence? Or not? (insert oooooooweeeeeeeoooooo scary music here).

I tried a pair of Carolina's on once. Took them off. Boxed them up, put them back on the shelf and walked...no ran!...away.

Uncomfortable and feel to be made cheaply. Around here Red Wings are a big thing. Not a fan of them either, I hate a boot where the lower is stitched over the upper, creating a lip in the side of the boot. The stitching wears out right there from rubbing up against stuff, then the boot is deemed ruined in my eyes since as far as I know that area is not rebuildable after the stitching is ripped out.

As mentioned above, Red Dawgs or something compareable. Red Wing also makes the Carhartt boots, which Ive had and do have for a spare pair, I've been very impressed with them and would buy another pair, right around $170 for the pair.

i had good luck with carolinas. i had a pair of bare leather ones and a pair with 600grams of thinsolate. wore the ones that were correct for the temperature. this was when i was walkin for a living.

now i cut for a living and i wear the labonvilles.

The Kuliens are the best I've had. But you don't want them unless you have weird feet, are rich, or depend on your weird feet for your living. I don't have the luxury of having a big selection of off the shelf boots to try out.

I used to work on a timber marking crew, and we covered miles and miles of ground each day. My boss, who had normal guy feet, decided it was better for him to buy a pair of Georgia boots, which would last a season, than a pair of Whites, which might last for 2 seasons and then be ready for rebuilding. But that was him. Shorly after, his feet went bad and he had to go into another line of work.

Coincidence? Or not? (insert oooooooweeeeeeeoooooo scary music here).

Good point!!!

Mike

Good boots

For the most part you gey what you pay for. I have found White's, and Hathorns hold up best for me. Had O.K luck with Wescos as well, but don't care much for the oddball cork they use in most of the Wescos.

Thanks for all the comments guys and gals! I went ahead and ordered them. When they come in, I will thoroughly inspect them and wear them inside my house. If they do not work out, at least I can send them back and get some redwings local to me.

Mike

Here's something not everybody knows:

Redwings has basically TWO product lines.

One is the El Cheapo made overseas. Sold everwhere.

The other is made in the USA. Sold only by select dealers, who are not allowed to carry the cheapos. Make sure you are buying from a dealer that carries the USA made line. It will be closer to $200-300 a pair.

Here's our local dealer of the GOOD line:

http://www.wilkinsshoe.com/

Check for a dealer near you:

http://www.redwingshoes.com/

I dropped $300 on a pair of RedWings several years ago. The dealer measured and fitted the boots, tossed in a pair of cushion inserts, and black leather laces that I preferred over the stock laces. Though they show the miles, I still wear those boots, and will for some time.

I've been eye-balling wescos, whites and red dawgs. Here is the conundrum for me! I am only going to use the boots when running a saw. Other then that, they will be cleaned and sitting in my walk in closet for their next use. I want to buy a better quality boot, but it will spent most of the time sitting in my walk in closet.

I was going to buy a pair of carhartt work boots that where $20 less. But the soles where glued, not stitched together. So you could not cheaply rebuild them.

The reason why I asked if "Carolina Shoe Company Logging Boots" here in the logging forum is to see if they are okay boots. Because I know that loggers are brutal on their boots. And expect a great value for what they pay for. If you make a living on your feet, you not going to compromise comfort over cost. As I get older and hopefully a little wiser. I see the value in buying better quality equipment that can be used longer and be rebuilt, instead of just being thrown away.

I thank everyone for their input on the subject. I going to go over the boots when they come in with a fine toothed comb. If the quality is not there, then no loss to me. I can take them back for a full refund. And goto a local red wing dealer for a looksy. I budgeted $100.00 , but if that isn't going get the quality I need and want. Then I am willing to spend more if I have too.

Mike

Mike,
I know you've already ordered them, but I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in anyway.
I've tried the Carolina loggers a couple of times. The first pair lasted me 8 months before they started breaking down. The second pair was less than that. I know you're going to have them in the closet more than on your feet, but your saw's sit in the shed more than they are in your hands and I didn't notice any "wild things" in your signature.
High quality footwear is the only way to go in my opinion. Once your feet are sore and worn out, the rest of you isn't far behind.

Andy

I sure can't picture a good $100 boot. My carpentry boots are usually $120 Redwings, and I'm lucky to get a year out of them (I should spend more there). My fireline boots are Wesco's, and they suit me fine..but close to $400. You might look at what Danner has, though I can't speak for their comfort.

edit> I take that back, Danner Pronghorns are very comfortable, just not a logger boot - though Madsen's sells a Pronghorn Cork

Last edited:
I have a pair of 12" hoffmans very stout takes a bit to break em in but now I can wear em 8 hours a day and forget im wearing such a stout boot. Not quite as comfortable as whites but they run 250-300 instead of 400. I also like the taller boots because my shins look sexierr with out all the scrapes and bruises on them.

I have a pair of 12" hoffmans very stout takes a bit to break em in but now I can wear em 8 hours a day and forget im wearing such a stout boot. Not quite as comfortable as whites but they run 250-300 instead of 400. I also like the taller boots because my shins look sexierr with out all the scrapes and bruises on them.

Yes, tall boots are the only way to go. Then you don't have to wear the dark pantyhose, you can wear the lighter tones. Just don't get them "in a bunch".:greenchainsaw:

:cry: My feet are bad and I need some orthotics now.:cry:

I've worn good boots. Coincidence or ?

I've had very good luck with the made in usa red wings as work boots. I wear the pecos slip on in steel toe and non steel toe. I've had one pair for right at 5 years and they're well worn and I still wear them to work about once a week. I spend 12 hours on steel and concrete. I wear them in the woods also. If I'm going to be on wet or hilly ground I've got a pair of chippewa that look a lot like the carolina loggers with a liner in them. I've had them about 4 years. I don't wear them a lot but they've lasted that long with probably 9 months or more of wear on them if not more. I've worn out 3 sets of laces in the chippewas. I would like to buy a better work boot but 99% of the time if I wear a different pair once a week my feet don't hurt with the red wings.

I go with cheapo's because I have had three pair of wesco's they last no longer than the cheapo's for me. I think the years in spurs has messed up my feet I wear the outside of any heel made in three months tops. I can't see wearing out 400 worth of boot that soon. I would buy them if they had a metal insert in the out side area of the heel though.

Latest posts

Back