Carrying Extra Chains How ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep a sharp spare chain in a plastic green Almond container. I spray some silicone or WD 40 on a paper towel, wrap the chain in it and shove it into the plastic Almond container that has a screw on lid, then put it in the saw box. Works for me. Chain is protected from getting banged around and dulled and protects my fingers from rooting around in the saw box. As far as getting a loop or two in the chain, you figure out how to untangle them pretty quick once you've been doing this for awhile. Love those plastic almond containers, good for storing lots of stuff.

I have 2x4's with a deck screw in each end and have the chains looped around the screws. At the most I have three 2x4's on each trip to the cutting area.

My saw pack has a velcro pouch on it that can hold up to 10 chains. I usually carry 4. When I get a dull chain, I pull it off, flip it inside out and stick it in the pouch with the sharp ones. Tangled chains are pretty damn easy to figure out.

One thing i have thought about using is the plastic drink mix containers my kids get. They come with the little powder pouches in them. They have a snap on lid, and since they are plastic they wont leak much oil if you pre-oil your chains.

as far as telling which one is dull/sharp I can see or feel I deal with sharp things all day so its kinda second nature.

also i just toss em back in the box, no bags just a spritz of wd-40 every now and then.

Whats with all this "pre-oiling" any way...

and last but not least, I sharpen all chains at the next possible chance so that its just not a problem when I need one. come next logging day (for me its friday) I got lots of sharp chains ready to go, its a rare day that I sharpen in the woods...

I keep them in the boxes they arrived in. Some plastic some paper. I hope you aren't worried by the loops they tend to get themselves into, you can undo them pretty fast with some practice. And then i just put the boxes in the bag i carry with me when i go in the woods. I can put it around my shoulders and still have 2 free hands for 2 saws.

In the bag i put a spare chain or 2 for each saw, all the basic tools (screwdrivers, scrench, files, sharpie, a T27 and a spare plug), gloves, ear plugs, a gallon of mix, half a galon of bar oil, a meter and something to drink. Can also fit a hammer and some wedges, and this machete style thing (no idea what you call it in english). I don't always carry everything, because it can get heavy, so i take out the things i won't need.

Also i think i should probably take out the files because i never file in the woods anymore now that i have spares. And lately 1 spare is enough, i try to be careful. Other than that, this all in one bag is great with plenty of compartments so everything has its place. :)

View attachment 276089

PS, how do you call these things, if you even have/use them across the big pond? They're good for chopping off small branches (1" and below usually go in 1 swing)
View attachment 276090

When i started to organize late last year I went on a search for chain boxes and ended up with a stash of the cardboard boxes that you receive chains in. I like them b/c you can label the end of the box and stack them in a cabinet to help get organized. I just don't box and label a chain unless it's sharp. I have a tool bad and a few chainsaw cases that go with me to cut so I just grab the boxes out of the cabinet and throw them in.

I've heard of guys using gladware and labeling the side with duct-tape and a sharpie. Also you can consider buying the lunch meat that comes in the gladware containers so you can re-use the containers.

I used to use plastic bags but you can't see what each chain is when they are piled up in my garage cabinet. Plus I am a little ambitious with the wd40 and put chains in wet enough to soak the paper label. oops! :dizzy:

Now if you're talking about taking long chains into the woods... I have an old school back pack with straps and loops so I just carabiner the 30+inch loops the the outside of the backpack for remote destinations the truck can't get to. And if you are having problems untangling loops, perhaps a little practice is needed. Not to sound like an arse but a little practice on tangle loops will help you out more than anything... You can tell most of us just ball them back up and shove them somewhere for storage. If you cut, it's just something you have to deal with!

Any way you want to do it is your own preference b/c what works for some won't work for others... We can only make suggestions or tell you how we do it and why. After that you have to make up your own mind on how you want to do it.

I keep them in the boxes they arrived in. Some plastic some paper. I hope you aren't worried by the loops they tend to get themselves into, you can undo them pretty fast with some practice. And then i just put the boxes in the bag i carry with me when i go in the woods. I can put it around my shoulders and still have 2 free hands for 2 saws.

In the bag i put a spare chain or 2 for each saw, all the basic tools (screwdrivers, scrench, files, sharpie, a T27 and a spare plug), gloves, ear plugs, a gallon of mix, half a galon of bar oil, a meter and something to drink. Can also fit a hammer and some wedges, and this machete style thing (no idea what you call it in english). I don't always carry everything, because it can get heavy, so i take out the things i won't need.

Also i think i should probably take out the files because i never file in the woods anymore now that i have spares. And lately 1 spare is enough, i try to be careful. Other than that, this all in one bag is great with plenty of compartments so everything has its place. :)

View attachment 276089

PS, how do you call these things, if you even have/use them across the big pond? They're good for chopping off small branches (1" and below usually go in 1 swing)
View attachment 276090

I think the english call it a bill hook, but it looks allot like a brush hook, only without the big handle

I think the english call it a bill hook, but it looks allot like a brush hook, only without the big handle

Yah, I think we may even call it a brush knife. Whatever it is, machetes, Sandviks, etc. are tools of torture.

I prefer a daypack to a suitcase because when walking a bit in--like clearing trail, I can throw the saw up on my shoulder and the pack supports it. Hang the gypo jugs over the bar, axe in other hand, get the Used Dog in gear and off we stumble.

In small flat boxes made of soft plastic (food boxes really). The ones I use take two chains up to 24", and each chain is in a small plastic bag. The boxes go into a small backpack, together with other stuff.

View attachment 276149

The picture is old, I mark the boxes differently by now.

I keep em in the chain boxes they come in. I mark the boxes with a sharpie, length and gauge, square or round. I found out yesterday though that labeling the boxes does no good if you don't pay attention to what chain you throw in the box. For some reason I put a chain in, and yesterday when I pulled it out it didn't magically match the box label :dizzy:

Chains in the Oregon/Woodland boxes they came in, generally, so they can be IDed with a glance.

All the stuff in a 12 or 14" (I forget) Harbor Freight bag w/shoulder strap, an instant AWOL bag. Bag has pockets inside and out, so wedges and battle dressings are right there on the outside. No alibis.

Bag is yellow and black- cannot get lost in the woods. Lots of room for gloves, b&c oils, basic tools, Granberg filing guide, files, water bottle, rag. Bag cost under $10 on special. Just gotta find small metal jug (EMS or REI) for mix; my little fuel-sipping saws can and do go for hours on a pint.

Mostly that AWOL bag enables covering distances clearing trails. Just gotta find a way to sling 2 11-lb saws over shoulders, one on each side. Long bungee might work. Leaving hands free for pickaroon, and swatting bugs in season.

Friend saw that bag in use, got one.

Plastic Video Tape Boxes

How does Everyone carry there extra chains when going cutting

there a pain when they get Knotted up !
I've found an almost ideal container for saw chains--plastic video tape boxes that nobody uses anymore because video tapes (Beta and VHS) are both a dead media. Even a 32" loop will fit inside one and two 14" loops will fit. Document the chain's condition with a small sheet of paper inside the box.

Crown Royal bags work for sharp chains. Dull chains go in a plastic tote with the wrench to change them out.

Latest posts

Back