Carrying Extra Chains How ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found an almost ideal container for saw chains--plastic video tape boxes that nobody uses anymore because video tapes (Beta and VHS) are both a dead media. Even a 32" loop will fit inside one and two 14" loops will fit. Document the chain's condition with a small sheet of paper inside the box.

Repped you for that one, doc. The flatter and longer box should be good for helping keep the chain untangled too. Great idea!

I just bring extra saws in the truck. If they all get dull or I find myself without something, I just go home. I also bring a file, scrench, and little clamp thing with pointed legs that clamps on the bar and to hold it while I sharpen in the field.

Chains in the Oregon/Woodland boxes they came in, generally, so they can be IDed with a glance.

All the stuff in a 12 or 14" (I forget) Harbor Freight bag w/shoulder strap, an instant AWOL bag. Bag has pockets inside and out, so wedges and battle dressings are right there on the outside. No alibis.

Bag is yellow and black- cannot get lost in the woods. Lots of room for gloves, b&c oils, basic tools, Granberg filing guide, files, water bottle, rag. Bag cost under $10 on special. Just gotta find small metal jug (EMS or REI) for mix; my little fuel-sipping saws can and do go for hours on a pint.

Mostly that AWOL bag enables covering distances clearing trails. Just gotta find a way to sling 2 11-lb saws over shoulders, one on each side. Long bungee might work. Leaving hands free for pickaroon, and swatting bugs in season.

Friend saw that bag in use, got one.

seen this type of thing on trail crews in the Sierras
https://www.google.com/search?q=cha...e.0.57j0l3j62l2.3763&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Don't think it would be too hard to build one from scratch using an old backpack frame.
I like the MSR bottles for fuel/oil, pretty cool.

I put mine in the Lock&Lock tupperware things and throw em in the toolbox. I spool up the chain and place chipboard between them. No problems with nasty tangles, I may have to deal with a pair of hoops once in a while but thats no biggie.

aal.jpg

in my back pack i carry a spare bar with a chain taped to it.
and a few other chains in a zip lock.

Couple of related threads with a number of ideas if you dig through them. Some depend on whether you are taking them in your vehicle, if you are carrying them with you into the woods, and surprisingly, what you eat!

Philbert

- http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/171234.htm

- http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/125133.htm

- http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/116231.htm

- http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/89533.htm

- http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/213604.htm

- http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/194908.htm

p.s. I don't like the Home Depot 'Tri-Link' chains, but I like the storage cases they come in!

I put mine in the Lock&Lock tupperware things and throw em in the toolbox. I spool up the chain and place chipboard between them. No problems with nasty tangles, I may have to deal with a pair of hoops once in a while but thats no biggie. ....

My boxes (much smaller) are sort of "tupperware style", just not on that quality level (if it still is the same ol' one).

They are about the size of the "paper boxes", that most chain loops come in.

Last edited:
I carry 3 saws and spare loops for each saw. Freezer baggies with loop size written with a sharpie. Change one out in the field, dull one goes in the cup holder in the truck. Unloading at home, the dull one(s) get hung on the sharpener. I saw today that I have 4 currently waiting to be introduced to Mr. File.

I tried various things, some mentioned inthis thread. The "box they came in" was a no-go from the start - takes up way too much room and don't last long before the box is coming apart. Baggies take up the least room of any mentioned and are easily labeled.

Harry K

Last edited:
I carry them over the shoulder and across my bare chest but I have been lately thinking about looping them smaller so that I can carry them on my head....

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

My boxes (much smaller) are sort of "tupperware style", just not on that quality level (if it still is the same ol' one).

They are about the size of the "paper boxes", that most chain loops come in.

I do it like sawtroll. :D

I use the PVC sliding type holders:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The one container has 42" .404 chain inside and the other has two 28" 3/8 chains in them. I also keep my files and small screwdriver in another.

Not to sound like a salesman, but if anyone is interested in any of these, send me PM. I bought a 150 of these, but only need/want about 25-30 of them......

bob

PM sent.

I once looked into something similar, but could not get a good enough price and did not want to make the investment in that many. As I noted in one of the related threads, Home Depot sells their 'Tri-Link' chain in similar containers. Did not want the chain, but I thought about lurking in the aisle and offering people a buck for their packaging when they left the store.

Philbert

I currently use a couple of small ziploc containers big enough for 3 to 4 chains, one for each size chain. I then carry them in my firewood toolbox. Currently, I only have .325 and 3/8 chains so I don't have alot of different chains to keep track of.

I am always looking for better ways of doing things.

I just leave them on the floor in the pick up under all the coffee cups and trash. i guess no one sharpens chains on the saw in the woods anymore. unless it comes off and frigs up the drivers the chain is on the saw till its junk. i never understood chainging a chain when it gets dull, unless yr cutting rocks its faster to file then change the chain

How does Everyone carry there extra chains when going cutting

there a pain when they get Knotted up !
Last year, after seeing my plumber's organization of stuff, I bought a Husky Tool Box at HD and made a couple of thin plywood dividers to put my boxed chains for five sizes of chains in the bottom compartment. After a chain gets sharpened it goes back into an Oregon box marked with "S" to signify it has been used and sharpened.
The top compartment has small compartment rectangular cups to sort parts. It has been the best storage I've found in 22 years in the business. My work truck is a 2000 GMC Sierra with a lockable Brand FX topper made in Swea City, Iowa, and a full length Bed Slide. The tool box may be a bit bulky but it stacks easily with the other totes.

DSCN4901.JPG
Files, vise etc in AWP nylon
chains in either 2 sided black canvas bag or use two pockets of OD canvas rucksack - sharp/dumb. All smaller bags in main compartment of rucksack, easy to pack in/out if needed, durable. Wedges/tools/grenades/K-rations etc. in other pockets.

Use phone cord untangler to keep chains out of knots.........

Back