Carrying Extra Chains How ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bcaarms

bcaarms

ArboristSite Operative
I am not a professional. I do not work 8 hours a day when I go cutting. I bring 3 or 4 saws depending on what is expected. If I rock my first saw I switch to its backup. The 2253 gets replaced with the 346 or the 2260 gets replaced with the 371. If I rock the second saw I slow down and finish with whatever I have in the truck. Since I stopped using long bars, I haven't been hitting the ground nearly as often.

fearofpavement

fearofpavement

Trying them all
The other thing I use for chains besides old socks is sections of blue jean legs. These are pretty durable and I write the chain size on them with magic markers. I carry my saw tools, files, spare chains, etc in an old metal Sawzall case. I rarely am working more than a few feet from my truck so don't need to pack anything through the woods. I am mostly working in people's yards and not as much in the forest. If I have to carry wood over about 30 feet, it usually stays where it is.
In the shop where I have a large supply of chains of all lengths and sizes, I keep them in clear plastic shoe boxes by type (gauge and pitch) and put ones of specific lengths in jean legs to keep them separated. ie, I have a box of 3/8 x .050, 3/8 x .058, .325 x .050, .325 x .063, 3/8 x .043, etc etc. Many of these chains don't fit bars I have. some day I'll find a use for them. I keep these shoe boxes in file cabinets. I have dozens of file cabinets in my shop for tool and hardware storage. They're cheap and work great.
Bars hang on S hooks on the wall and are labeled with duct tape with mount type, pitch, gauge and dl count. I have a number of those I don't have saws for too. Someday...

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
In small flat boxes made of soft plastic (food boxes really). The ones I use take two chains up to 24", and each chain is in a small plastic bag. The boxes go into a small backpack, together with other stuff.

View attachment 276149

The picture is old, I mark the boxes differently by now.

Looks like I have to repost the picture, after the software change;

Attachments

• P1010094.JPG
    P1010094.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
redoakneck

redoakneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I use bubble mailers usually 5x7 or 7x10 size, they close tight and protect the sharp cutters. I get them free from work when we get glass bottles shipped in. They are around a dollar to purchase if needed. You can label them with a sharpie too!!!

nstueve

nstueve

Makita Freak!
Shaun and I have discussed this and we both wish there was an affordable Tupperware thats the same size as the OEM cardboard chain boxes with a lid on the end. Would make it easy to throw a chain in a labeled Tupperware and spray a shot of WD40 in there for storage.

Right now I just use OEM cardboard boxes that the chain comes in and sometimes steal the gladware style cheap stuff that the wife gets her lunch meat in. Freebie storage: not as tough as original Tupperware but tougher than a plastic baggie. The square size makes it easy to stack in a tool box or in a saw box and still stack on the shelf in the garage. I write the specs on the end of the OEM cardboard box and then I can find what I need easily and quickly no matter if I'm in the shop or out in the woods.

SierraWoodsman

SierraWoodsman

ArboristSite Guru
I'm sure some of you will think it's a bit OCD, but I keep them in bubble-wrap envelopes thoroughly labeled
with all pertinent information. Then those all go into a case catologed in order by the saw they are for.
Keeps them chains sharp/protected and helps keep inventory organized.
The bubble-wrap envelopes are cheap too!
053.JPG

Attachments

• 054.JPG
    054.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

Latest posts