Cast Iron Cookware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i discovered today that when my daughter made rice the other day she put the lid off the pan into my #9 cast iron skillett. well three days later there was more than surface rust happening in the pan. i had to get some emery cloth to get it out. i was less than happy as i have put a decent amount of time into that pan and the patina was built up nicely and the non-stick was really great. after cleaning all the rust out i discovered that my flax oil was bad and my crisco isnt that good. i ended up using some crisco. so frustrated. i forgot to take a photo of the damage to show here but when it cools down i will take a pic of the first coat of new seasoning.

here it is out of the oven the complete bottom was sanded to bare casr and this is after one coat of crisco. you can see where i didnt get all of the crisco wiped out before heating its the dark area the looks bubbled. that is a spot that will be very weak coating and will almost wash out completely. so before the next coat i will have to scrub it off as best i can without sanding or using a green scrubby. if i cant get it off it will need to be polished off with a red scotch brite pad to bare and then coat again. frustrating i thought i had all of the crisco wiped out but clearly not

Attachments

• 20211201_222819.jpg
    20211201_222819.jpg
    976.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211201_222829.jpg
    20211201_222829.jpg
    1,019.1 KB · Views: 13
the rust was from water being left under the lid for three days
i have done that before and still no rust. but then I have about 22 years on my dutch oven and my newest skillets are a set of the early 90's wagners that I use for day to day abuse. my oldest skillets are about 80 and 50 years old respectively as they were wedding gifts to my grandmother and my mother. I swear i could cook tomatoes in them and leave the tomatoes for a week and neither of them would even flinch at it. (not that I am going to.) i just think if you season with animal fat year after year you probably would not need to worry about rust. just my opinion.

A broken cast pan can be brazed but the cost might not be worth the price of the pan. For seasoning, the best I have used is leaf lard. You can order it on line rendered or if you have a good butcher in your area, they will probably give you some for nothing and you can render it yourself. You can also use beef tallow. It has a higher smoke point and really puts a nice seasoning on a cast pan. South Chicago Packing has a nice wagyu beef tallow that works wonders on cast. You can also cook with it but it does have a true “beef” flavor. Leaf lard is very neutral.

Leaf Lard in 1 Pound Vacuum Bags | Fannie and Flo

For The At Home Chef - South Chicago Packing

Tallow vs. Lard: Battle of Two Superfats - Dr. Robert Kiltz (doctorkiltz.com)

I cook primarily in cast iron. Water and tomatoes are no big deal for a well-seasoned pan. Some of my stuff is over 100 years old. Sadly, most if it does not see the light of day. You always seem to reach for the same pan.

that pan that im talking about is 80 - 90 years old or so. it got put in the dish washer by someone before me and when i got it i ran it through the electrolysis tank and stripped it down to bare metal and restored it was working its way back to a good patina but its isnt used as much as the smaller pan so its just taking longer....now its going to take even longer. i believe that they get the best finish with animal fat too i just dont have any so im using what i have to start over

i cooked tomato sauce in the smaller pan early on after it was restored and the acid changed the way the pan looked but it didnt change the way it cooks just etched the patina. water doesnt harm them normally but water was left in it for three days and rust happened

well i have ran the pan through three cycles of seasoning in the oven once with crisco once with lard and once with lard and crisco combined. i cooked fried potatoes and scrambled eggs today and the nonstick performed nicely. i think im going to run it through the oven one more time with ghee (clarified butter)

i discovered today that when my daughter made rice the other day she put the lid off the pan into my #9 cast iron skillett. well three days later there was more than surface rust happening in the pan. i had to get some emery cloth to get it out. i was less than happy as i have put a decent amount of time into that pan and the patina was built up nicely and the non-stick was really great. after cleaning all the rust out i discovered that my flax oil was bad and my crisco isnt that good. i ended up using some crisco. so frustrated. i forgot to take a photo of the damage to show here but when it cools down i will take a pic of the first coat of new seasoning.

That seems a bit odd and fast for that amount of rust , never had an issue like that

Sent from my iPhone using see

So on the 28th just prior tot he Japanese new years, I got hold of an antique Japanese cast iron tea pot. I am in the process of cleaning it up, it sat unused for about 20+ years in an abandoned cabin not far from mine at Fuji and when the local government came in and was tearing down the (now partially collapsed) cabin, I took a pot of coffee up to the work team for their 10:00 break and as they were talking about all of the old stuff they were always clearing out of abandoned buildings when they tore them down.
the Forman handed me a rust covered tea pot as an example and I was "what do you do with it all?" we throw it away unless someone wants something. so currently I am soaking it in apple cider vinegar to gently remove the rust to see what it looks like. according to my wife she says they prefer the cast iron tea pots back in the day as you could sit them directly on the coals from a kotatsu or a small indoor stove without worry. I asked how you keep it from rusting and she did not know.
I will post some pics once I get it cleaned up.

ken

Back