Cast Iron Cookware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night I was going to do up some biscuts and rabbit sausage gravy. However, I didn't realize I only had enough milk to make the gravy. No biscuits. So I ended up using toast and making s**t on a shingle with the rabbit gravy instead. 🤣View attachment 1061400
View attachment 1061401View attachment 1061402

Tonight was local grass fed beef.

Jalapeño cheddar burgers and fries.
View attachment 1061403

Ready your cast and eat hardy!
💩💩💩💩
1677515877745.png

looks good kid! sometimes to go from off grid to gourmet for SOS... just add more salt! :laugh:

them fries in the dutch over topside look to be just about :numberone: ! with some salt and ketchup???

next time i am up on Kodiac, i'll beach the Beech... shore side ur place! ;)

on water, a lil water taxi for a SOS stop up at the kid's off grid
1677516113196.png

Anyone have trouble cooking any dish with rice in cast iron? Mine seems to stick. Takes constant stirring. Maybe it's a seasoning problem?
Skillet or Dutch oven? Are you cooking dry rice in the cast iron, or adding cooked rice to other foods? Do you rinse the rice first?

Inquiring minds want to know?

Philbert

Skillet or Dutch oven? Are you cooking dry rice in the cast iron, or adding cooked rice to other foods? Do you rinse the rice first?

Inquiring minds want to know?

Philbert
It's a Dutch oven (Spiders too). The rice is added to other food (plenty of liquid). It's quick rice, but other rice sticks as well. Unrinsed.

When I was growing up, there was an older neighbor across the street that I respected. A true outdoorsman. When he passed, I helped his wife set up a sale for his tools/outdoor gear. I bought a Dutch oven from her that was his fish fryer used at his cabin. It was my first piece of CI.

I had used it before but its been many years since. I pulled it out and used it tonight. Needs cleaning and reseasoning. After cleaning I flipped it over to see what brand it was.
I was surprised to see it was a company in St' Louis named Ozark. Not Ozark Trails. I found this:
https://www.castironcollector.com/crescent.phpMine doesn't say Cresent Foundry, though. Any ideas or more information?
IMG_1691.JPG

It's a Dutch oven (Spiders too). The rice is added to other food (plenty of liquid). It's quick rice, but other rice sticks as well. Unrinsed.
Pre-rinsing removes some of the sticky starch off of rice (along with some of its food value), and is commonly done.

Rice can be tricky to make even in conventional cookware, which is part of the reason why electric rice cookers are so popular.

But good rice recipes usually include a specific rice to liquid ratio, and say to leave the lid on until all the water is absorbed to avoid sticking. This is easiest to do if you have the exact timing down, or if you have a glass lid. Lifting the lid and stirring occasionally is discouraged.

Cooking the rice separately, then adding it, may be an option for you.

Philbert

Found this on my Dutch oven:
https://thedepotlakeviewohio.com/pr...-no-8-w-lid-pot-pan-28?variant=39630601617511
Wasn't sure if my lid was original. But it looks identical to this one. Need to clean mine up.
Honestly I trust the cast iron collector website for good information over a sellers post. I would like to see the whole Dutch oven lid and all that you have, if the lid is like the one in that sellers post, that’s pretty cool. Never seen one like that. Yours with the Union Made above the size is interesting, stove ring too. I always look for Dutch ovens at the antique shops but usually the ones I see are unusable cause of pitting. Very rare to find one complete with the lid that doesn’t have a huge price tag on it. I don’t surf for iron on the web, I like to poke around antique shops to find it or hear about someone who has something. Hope you find more information on your Dutch oven, very cool that you got it from a neighbor.👍

Anyone have trouble cooking any dish with rice in cast iron? Mine seems to stick. Takes constant stirring. Maybe it's a seasoning problem?
Or to high of heat or low moisture content. I cook a lot of rice and rice dishes in cast. Either of what I mentioned above will cause rice to stick. Even fried rice overcooked the first time with too much water. Will stick with to much heat when frying. The thickness and quality of your cast. Determines how well and how fast it conducts and transfers heat.
Just thought I'd mention it incase you didn't all ready know.

Pre-rinsing removes some of the sticky starch off of rice (along with some of its food value), and is commonly done.

Rice can be tricky to make even in conventional cookware, which is part of the reason why electric rice cookers are so popular.

But good rice recipes usually include a specific rice to liquid ratio, and say to leave the lid on until all the water is absorbed to avoid sticking. This is easiest to do if you have the exact timing down, or if you have a glass lid. Lifting the lid and stirring occasionally is discouraged.

Cooking the rice separately, then adding it, may be an option for you.

Philbert
for rice, we do both. and use rice cooker. i have 2. one i have had for nearly 45 years.. maybe a bit longer. still cooks up a nice batch!

Found a cast iron at the dump the other day . Two days in a rust bath then a sand to smooth . No markings on the pan so it’s a cheap one View attachment 1062184View attachment 1062183
It’s in the oven as I type
cleaning up nicely! i was out in my bunkhouse other day. going thru things. hidden, i soon spotted a box full of some cast iron fry pans. didn't even know i had them! will get a few pix next time i am up. no stove in there, just a kitchen counter and cabinet. i am going to cardboard up a couple circles, paint them black. a faux stove with burner rings for the cast iron to sit on...

Honestly I trust the cast iron collector website for good information over a sellers post. I would like to see the whole Dutch oven lid and all that you have, if the lid is like the one in that sellers post, that’s pretty cool. Never seen one like that. Yours with the Union Made above the size is interesting, stove ring too. I always look for Dutch ovens at the antique shops but usually the ones I see are unusable cause of pitting. Very rare to find one complete with the lid that doesn’t have a huge price tag on it. I don’t surf for iron on the web, I like to poke around antique shops to find it or hear about someone who has something. Hope you find more information on your Dutch oven, very cool that you got it from a neighbor.👍
i got so many cast iron dutch ovens, well... to me... i mite as well as put them out in the garden and use them as planters.... 😋

I sometimes cook rice in a cast dutch oven at work. I fry the rice in the pot first with some olive oil, then I add hot water. I keep the temp just hot enough to keep it simmering under the lid. Too hot and it will stick/burn on the edges, while there still is water in the pot. I don't stir it at all, except to add seasonings when I first add the water.

Latest posts

Back