Cast Iron Cookware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dug into my stack of cast iron fry pans the other day. first up, was to set one up for fish. fish only. cod, etc. fish n chips. then got one a bit bigger and cleaned it up for some ranch grillers, etc to cook in the LR fireplace. it had some crud on the bottom cook area. seems its last campfire dute was most likely a batch of brownies mix. anyways, got it crsipy clean after some effort... and it has fried spud a couple of times now with canoloa oil... was going to do some deer meat backstrap last nite, but the package didn't full thaw, maybe tonite.

P1010001.JPG

I actually did fried eggs, sunny side up, in my CI this morning. Overall came out perfect, but I reckon I’ll go back to a small non-stick that is always and only for eggs. Just simple and easy.
If you're cast skillet is good quality cast and properly taken care of? Eggs should fry just as easily if not easier than in a non stick pan. Just my opinion. I cook exclusively with cast and nothing else. As did my parent's and my parent's parent's before. When frying eggs in a small cast skillet. It doesn't take much heat to bring the cast to the proper cooking temperature for frying eggs. In my opinion the biggest problem most people have when cast iron cooking is. They use more heat than nessasary. Don't get me wrong. Some foods like meats. Need high heat. However, cast conducts heat much better than todays non stick cookware. To prove my theory is correct. Do yourself a test.
Next time you cook steak or chops. Put a frozen steak on a cast skillet at room temp and a steak on a non stick at room temp. The steak in the cast will thaw much faster.😉

Some of the old cast iron skillets were milled. They seam to release eggs waaay better than the standard semi bumpy texture

I’d like to find a nice #8 that has a good milled surface. I have a #6. They’re two very different pans

Eggs should fry just as easily if not easier than in a non stick pan.
I know that they are not popular with CI die hards, but a lot easier for me to pan flip eggs in my lighter, aluminum non-stick.

CI is great for a lot of things, especially when heat retention/ thermal mass comes into play.

Philbert

I know that they are not popular with CI die hards, but a lot easier for me to pan flip eggs in my lighter, aluminum non-stick.

CI is great for a lot of things, especially when heat retention/ thermal mass comes into play.

Philbert
Still early out here in the west, you guys are making me hungry! Love my cast iron cookware!

Philbert
It's a lot easier for a lot of people that use non stick. The quality of your cast plays a huge part in it. 👍

Some of the old cast iron skillets were milled. They seam to release eggs waaay better than the standard semi bumpy texture

I’d like to find a nice #8 that has a good milled surface. I have a #6. They’re two very different pans
Look online, check antique shops, and thrift stores.

You'd be surprised on the cast you can find that people donate to thrift stores like the salvation army. Check out this very old nickle plated #8 griz. It's very smooth!
20230221_070221.jpg
20230221_070235.jpg

Look online, check antique shops, and thrift stores.

You'd be surprised on the cast you can find that people donate to thrift stores like the salvation army. Check out this very old nickle plated #8 griz. It's very smooth!
View attachment 1059729View attachment 1059730
The wife calls me " Grizzwald " around the house, so there's a soft spot for them when I find em! That's a beauty!

I usually cook breakfast on the wood stove, but I had to get up early this morning to go trolling fir winter Kings. So I cooked on the gas range. It's a little faster.😉
View attachment 1059728
what a life! and there are those 'everyday, every day pancakes!' :) every morn cook breakfast on wood stove! 👍

propane gas stove?

my cast iron collection is extensive. not so much by choice, just one day it all fell into my lap. been starting to use my CI fry pans more and more. did a couple for ranch. 8 and 6". even though i have a dozen fry pans hanging. lol. had to prep for freezer those awesome big T-Bones other nite. and so cooked me some ranch grillers as i cut and whittled....
P1010009.JPG
P1010008.JPG
P1010007.JPG
P1010006.JPG

i do think of eggs in my CI pans. trial run. but i am sold on the OXO brand. it won the fry pan shoot out on America's Test Kitchen. i had tried 2 dif sets of stickless. POS, imo... then i got a couple of the OXO brand. one thing i noted in the test review was their comment on: release quality. no stick at all. so my big one is for eggs only. nothing else touches it. and only on low heat. my smaller one is for eggs, too but warm up last nite's steak, chops or spuds is ok, too. eggs in the OXO always come out perfect. i put in dop of butter, then eggs. yard eggs
P1010002.JPG
P1010003.JPG
P1010006.JPG
P1010007.JPG

OXO fry pan has a nice thcik heat sink to base, not at all unlike the thickness of cast iron. holds the heat nicely and uniformly

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Anodized-PFOA-Free-Nonstick-Skillet/dp/B07YLJZRDR

i do think of eggs in my CI pans. trial run. but i am sold on the OXO brand. it won the fry pan shoot out on America's Test Kitchen. i had tried 2 dif sets of stickless. POS, imo... then i got a couple of the OXO brand. one thing i noted in the test review was their comment on: release quality. no stick at all. so my big one is for eggs only. nothing else touches it. and only on low heat. my smaller one is for eggs, too but warm up last nite's steak, chops or spuds is ok, too. eggs in the OXO always come out perfect. i put in dop of butter, then eggs. yard eggs
View attachment 1060616View attachment 1060617View attachment 1060618View attachment 1060619
OXO fry pan has a nice thcik heat sink to base, not at all unlike the thickness of cast iron. holds the heat nicely and uniformly

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Anodized-PFOA-Free-Nonstick-Skillet/dp/B07YLJZRDR
Is that jam/conserve on your toast? With eggs? And potatoes, what’s the last thing, looks like maybe something wrapped in bacon, or....?

Last night I was going to do up some biscuts and rabbit sausage gravy. However, I didn't realize I only had enough milk to make the gravy. No biscuits. So I ended up using toast and making s**t on a shingle with the rabbit gravy instead. 🤣
20230224_204650.jpg

20230225_004644.jpg
20230225_003734.jpg

Tonight was local grass fed beef.

Jalapeño cheddar burgers and fries.
20230226_222031.jpg

Ready your cast and eat hardy!

Latest posts

Back