ceadar stumps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the thing about Cedar Vs Fir in coastal *absolute* growth rates: fir is very shade-intolerant, cedar is not. First hundred years after a major disturbance event (fire? clear-cut? volcano?) fir has the advantage. In the next round, cedar is boss for about 300 years. After that, it's all about site. Fir is MUCH more fire-resistant, cedar is MUCH better-suited to recovery from wind events. At about 500 years, a stand will be dominated by fir or cedar dependent on what happened in-between. "What about Hemlock?", I hear you ask. Well, hemlock seems to be the biomass king up and down the coast, but the REALLY big trees are very seldom hemlocks. Same goes for Spruce. That's not to say there aren't monster examples of both species.

As for Alder: they have a lot going for them as an early-successional species. It's good that the market value is up, because we will be reaping the benefits for many years from the nitrate fixation they add to the soil. That is, while alder is an early competitor to fir, later, it is a big benefactor. In the past, they were wholesale killed as a "weed" species. Many plantations have suffered as a result.

it looks like west red, dg is faster but not as long lived i think. there prob replanting cedar again for the long term . read a artical a year or so ago about some smaller land owners planting cedar and redwood for long term profets.

Douglas fir grows a lot faster and is merchantable at a smaller size. W Red Cedar is worth more but usually scales out at less. Mostly I see Fir being planted. There must be a reason for it. I think if cedar payed better there would be more of it planted.
Of course things change. Never thought I would see alder being planted but they are now.

We've planted quite a bit of cedar down here. It's not doing as well as expected. Check back in about thirty five years and we'll have a better idea if it's going to be viable or not.

I've read a few articles here and there that are saying after clearcuts, instead of straight doug-fir, they are planting 3 or more different species; each according to site characteristics.

Is this an up and coming trend or is the name of the game still monoculture stands?

Here's what I tell the tree huggers about monoculture. One species may be planted, but hemlock will always seed in and infiltrate the stand.

On alder, a logger who owns quite a bit of land told me that you can grow one good crop of alder. After that first bit, alder won't do as well.

I have a lot of cedar growing on my little ridgetop place. I've even planted more. Why? I suspect there is rootrot fungus in the soil. Western Red Cedar is supposed to be a bit more resistant. The cedar that has seeded in naturally tells me that it is a good site. I also planted a few Incense Cedar because the nursery was out of the native species and because I could...:msp_smile:

Speaking of, the Weyco seedling sale is coming up soon. I didn't get a flyer this year so don't know the date.

Should I plant some Sequoia? It grows here. It grows so well that the FS had a dilemma. Save the CCC planted Sequoia? Or save the CCC built buildings? The trees were playing havoc with foundations. The trees went. The buildings are still there.

stumpage
49781d1177355610-cedar-stump-post-office-jpg

I've read a few articles here and there that are saying after clearcuts, instead of straight doug-fir, they are planting 3 or more different species; each according to site characteristics.

Is this an up and coming trend or is the name of the game still monoculture stands?

That's a tough one. Alder, for example, likes to grow as a pure stand, largely because the investment in mycorrhizae is easier to bear as a group than solitary. On our ownership, we plant not only several species, but several seed stocks of each. Does it make a difference? I'm not convinced one way or another. Trees do what they're gonna do.

I can only add to what Humptulips posted. Several years back on the Hoko Rd. going to Lake Ozette. Some Hispanics took out all the OG cedar stumps. Now whether the stump wood made good shakes or shingles I don't know. I do know my old cedar rat friends claimed it wouldn't.

Latest posts

Back