Central Boiler Dampener Solenoid Movement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phantomblack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I cruse out to the OWB ( a central boiler 5036) this morning to throw the morning load of splits in before work and notice that it is running a little warm (190). I am well versed on what causes this, junk on the door seal or a piece of crud between the dampener and the door.

I check these “normal” things and don’t find anything. So I go to the next “normal” thing and find that the dampener solenoid lower screws are loose and the dampener solenoid has moved up a little bit hanging the dampener open a slight amount. I adjust the dampener and re-tighten the screws and all is well again.

My question is does anyone else run into this issue? If you do, have you done anything about it or do you just check the adjustment of the dampener when you lube the solenoid every month?

I was thinking of pulling the door this summer and installing studs to mount the dampener. Then I could use a good lock nut on it instead of the machine screws that seem to loosen over time.

Any thoughts?

Haven't had this happen on mine, but I will check them anyway when I get home tonight! Thanks for the tip, sorry you had an issue though.

Yep, not to big of a deal. I just think that I am going to make checking those screws part of my "clean out maintenance". Only bad thing is that I have to travel for work quite a bit and the Miss's feeds the beast in my absence, and generally when I am sent out it is at a moments notice, and I have no advanced notice to do some quick PM on the OWB. She has never had this problem, but I do not want her to either.

Even though she is a smart gal and can be walked through almost anything on the phone, I find it far easier to not have a problem in the first place. The old saying "a happy wife is a happy life" works in these instances.

A little monkeying around here and there is far better than owing my soul to the propane man.

I use Hi temp neversieze on mine. I look at it once in a while but it hasn't needed more lube for 5 years or so. I plan on pulling it next summer cleaning and relubing then.

Back