Ceramic Bearings?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for a site that will prove this statement:

P&W and GE both have new technology engines that will keep flying like 40 - 50 hours "after they run out of oil" !

There phenomenal, and were part of the reasoning behind getting 2 engine AC like the B-757 and B-767's certified for transocean flights!

Not turning the hard evidence up, there there is a couple bucket-fulls of ceramics in them.
attachment.php

Anyone that have ever been close to a turbine starting to pull some power would understand that it's not by mistake, and steel just doesn't cut the mustard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalker View Post
Are you saying Ceramics are not more brittle than bearing steel?
Your out of your league.

There is a place real close to here that will armor your Humvee for you with ceramics: http://www.coorstek.com/products/ceramic-armor.asp

R/C users have been using them for years: http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...ID=15020360522

Aviation has found there use: http://www.reali-slim.com/products.php

Planing a trip into outer space?:

http://www.orbireport.com/News2001-04.html

Wow, when someone responds to a question as simple as Ben's with a bunch of links that have nothing to do with the question you really get a crisp idea of the knowledge level of the person.:rockn:

Here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, when someone responds to a question as simple as Ben's with a bunch of links that have nothing to do with the question you really get a crisp idea of the knowledge level of the person.:rockn:

well I wonder what's gonna come up next?????? from the Space Center :monkey: cmon Mule I see ya lurkin

Are you saying Ceramics are not more brittle than bearing steel?

Some could guess that if there using ceramics for anything from armor, miniature 2-cycle and diesel engine bearings, Certified AC bearings and good enough for NASA, some could think that there strengths out weight there brittleness's,,,, IOW, a superior bearing in some applications.

In hope that this would clear things up for you ,woody? If I may ask, have you anything to add to the discussion?

Benny; go find a synthetic oil topic

ben can chirp all he wants but the bottom line is this:

Ceramics bearings are a Superior product over OEM bearings coming out of the saw manufacturers. This is not to say that all bearings are of good quality. Ours however are of some of the best quality that can be found.
Each batch of finished balls that are ordered has random testing done on 10 samples for dimension, surface roughness and for Sphericity. The blank material batches are also tested for hardness, density and for toughness.

Now I stand behind my claims. We have found 5 to 7 percent in cut times from only switching out the bearings. So have some of my customers. I will also stand behind the manufacturers claims of lasting 10 times longer than steal bearings.

Now these are not for every one because the price is about twice the expense of OEM bearings. Are they worth that? Well if you need or want them, then they are to you. If you have an 041 being held together with bailing wire and if old trusty only gets used for 1 or 2 cords a year then these are probably not for you.

Last edited:
Deano, dont you have some magic torque levels to chase?
I believe the 5-7% claim to be bogus based on the fact the test methods are subject to error and the fact that others have tested them in a scientific manner and didnt get 5-7%.
I also might add that I dont believe the Helsel's gained anywhere near 5-7% prior to the failure problems they had.

Last edited:
BRITTLE(webster's)

(brit'l)adj.( <oe.breotan ,to break)
1.easily broken or shattered because hard and inflexible

in the anvil test I think the steel was more brittle-what do you all think?

does anyone no where the Helsels got there bearings and if they were approved for use in a chain saw ??

Last edited:
(brit'l)adj.( <oe.breotan ,to break)
1.easily broken or shattered because hard and inflexible

in the anvil test I think the steel was more brittle-what do you all think?

does anyone no where the Helsels got there bearings and if they were approved for use in a chain saw ??

I don't recall Rick offering much more on the bearing failure.

But for a steel vs ceramic comparison, if you can squint just right.....

attachment.php

If you take the claims that ceramics are getting in turbo spool-up speeds, and think of how many 0 - 60 MPH runs a chain dose in a day. Lighter and less friction is a faster cut with more HP, any way you do the math.

Is ceramic more brittle than steel?

Turbo bearings and two cycle crank bearings ar not analagous. Ditto turbines, spaceships, etc.
BTW the ceramic bearings used in a diesel turbocharger use ceramic balls and races vs. some home brewed bearing that uses ceramic balls in races of OEM bearings.

Last edited:
Why the big argument? If you like the idea and want to try them, buy a set. If you don't, well.. don't.. all this bickering back and forth won't convince anyone one way or the other.

Somebody lock this silly thread. :deadhorse:

Ian

Is ceramic more brittle than steel?

Turbo bearings and two cycle crank bearings ar not analagous. Ditto turbines, spaceships, etc.

No need to lock the thread, it's simple.

When you talk to children, it takes a certain knack, as there ability to comprehend is limited. Brings up a point when there are some here that just wish to bash and derail threads, no?

How many more ways dose it take to explain that ceramics are a far superior bearing? And a rhetorical question, are diamonds more brittle than ceramics?

There is a chance that when Dean says that ceramic bearings are not for everyone, he meant that in a couple ways, as there most basic concept seems to escape a few?

"Is ceramic more brittle than steel?" ..............There sure in a lot of winner circles! There out lasting crank-shafts 2 : 1 in engines like the CR, YZ and KX crank's. IOW, brittleness is not in issue, they work,,,,,,, better!

Latest posts

Back